Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    CatAddick said:
    Big shout out to a large contingent of Charlton fans today who were so ridiculously badly behaved. You know who you are, you know what you were doing, stop being absolute idiots and just support the team and watch the bloody game. Morons. 
    come on, what did they do? 
    Women and kids had to run to safety because some of our morons and morons from Reading started throwing stuff. I nearly got hit by a coin, my son got hit by a vape, Charlton 'fans' causing the large majority of the issues made worse admittedly by poor stadium management. It wasn't just kids either it was fully grown men just acting like they've never had a beer before.

one bloke, in his rush to join the action, tripped on the steps and knocked a kid flying who had to be take out with blood on her face. 

Just a total bunch of morons.
    I’m assuming this is what was going on around ht.   But… at any away game why would you chose to stand within vape/coin/dart range of the home fans?
    I’m not defending the behaviour, cos it is a bit nobbish, but it is quite easy to avoid 
    That’s not a good reply. What has been posted on here tonight is a lot more than “a bit nobbish”. 

Why should people be getting hit by vapes and coins no matter where they are standing/sitting in a sold out away end? Why should someone’s 15 year old daughter have to see people taking coke and then get hit by those same people? 
    @stoneroses19 probably didn’t come over the way I meant.  Agree that it is unacceptable and when in a sold out space is sometimes difficult to avoid.
  • Options
    On paper these are rubbish players, and on the fieldthe they live upto the on paper quote.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    How many of today's starting 11 would you definitely like to keep for next season. 

May is the only 1 I'd be really 
    disappointed with if he left.

That in itself shows you how fucking dreadful our recruitment has een 
    May
    Bakinson 
    Coventry
    May, yes
    Bakinson- another Gilbey
    Coventry-Dobbo without the tackle
  • Options
    Watching that was a waste of grapes
  • Options
    Where was Fiorini today? Not even on the bench
  • Options
    A few clear differences consistently repeated in the shift pattern, balance and position of engagement out of possession today. Clearly been focused on. 
    A rare few moments flowed but the final ball and decision making was all wrong. Edun…oh Edun!! Got an absolute rocket off of NJ, twice following that double delivery mess up. 
    Danny Kanu is really asking questions, he comes on and does everything Freddie isn’t.
    Was good to have a proper keeper in goal again. 
    Support was great! Numbers and noise but we’re going to need that throughout this run in, minus the wally at the front calling Pan a w*nker and telling him to f*ck off. 
    Jeezus H Christ. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Where was Fiorini today? Not even on the bench
    Fiorini, Camara, Taylor and Aneke are nowhere near match fit, even if they have recovered from their injuries.
    You can guarantee that if any of them are made to play 98 minutes they will break down.
    Ramsay is unproven at this level.
    Afraid NJ is stuck with today's squad for the time being. Desperate times.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are in the shit BIG TIME, this has been many seasons coming but we hit rock bottom a few weeks ago, now we are falling through the cracks.
    The players we employ are mostly second rate (Alfie May being the exception) 
    We have been owned by chancers, con artists and narcissists. 

We have spent the little budget we had like a drunken sailor, we dress things up, roll a turd in glitter and say” How clever are we”

I think relegation is a real possibility, and should we be relegated I think the club will very quickly fail.

I travelled to day and saw players who were for the most part Kent league standard, they lacked basic footballing ability. 
    Recruitment has been dire for years . I feel like a am watching a much loved person slipping away and there is nothing I can do.
    ‘Little budget’?!?! We’ve spent more than anyone else in the league
  • Options
    edited February 11
    JamesSeed said:
    Lack of basic skills, from first touch to crossing to tactical nous. 
    Can do tactics and formations all you like but if you can’t control the ball and pass and move you will lose every time!
    Not to mention corners and free kicks. 
    We can’t do the basics, as you said. 
    Dobson took free kicks and corners in one game only, and they were probably the best of the season. 
     Leave out. Dobson was ballooning them with the best of 'em.
    He really wasn’t. Dig the match out on CTV. Can’t remember which game it was, but there were quite a few comments on the post match thread too. 
  • Options
    Good post match session but for us, that's it for aways this season. Too expensive and too little joy in return.
    A better performance, but, with a couple of noble exceptions, these players are having a laugh and I'm not prepared to pay them for that privilege.
    Utterly dispiriting.
  • Options
    Please tell me we didn’t pay big bucks for Coventry. He’s ok, but not the key signing that was trumpeted. 
    I heard a million quid mentioned. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Please tell me we didn’t pay big bucks for Coventry. He’s ok, but not the key signing that was trumpeted. 
    Absolutely no chance we paid anywhere near that.  This lot have paid sod all out generally, they're not paying anything like that on players.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Isted an improvement. No other positives really from that game 
    Was he? Flapped at a cross first half. Made a spectacular looking save you’d expect him to make. Came rushing out a couple of times and nearly got in trouble. Pushed a shot right back into the danger zone. Kept kicking his clearances straight at Reading defenders. Apart from not wearing a mask I thought he was just like having AMB in goal. 
    Isted and AMB are both totally average. Neither will be the reason we get relegated, nether will be the reason we get promoted. 

Awful performance all round today, in a “must not lose” we lost 2-0 and hardly registered a punch. 

Only saving grace was the pub recommended by @Chippycafc which was a lot better than the football. 

God knows where we go from here. 
    Down, on the evidence of this abject performance. Yet another, new manager notwithstanding.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The lad is 23 and I think did his best today. I do not think anybody can pin another bad result on him. With years on his side, a lot of them and the likes of Nathan and Paul now in to develop the younger players as well as try to get what they can out of what they have been handed (for now), I think time will work in his favour. The are other players who will be rested though I am sure. Spent a lot of time watching the very animated Nathan Jones on the sideline. He makes pretty obvious who he is getting frustrated with and Edun and both Watsons were clearly not impressing at points. 
  • Options
    I know people are taking Dobson leaving badly but Coventry was absolutely not the problem today. And when the ball didn't burst his set-pieces were pretty good 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The lad is 23 and I think did his best today. I do not think anybody can pin another bad result on him. With years on his side, a lot of them and the likes of Nathan and Paul now in to develop the younger players as well as try to get what they can out of what they have been handed (for now), I think time will work in his favour. The are other players who will be rested though I am sure. Spent a lot of time watching the very animated Nathan Jones on the sideline. He makes pretty obvious who he is getting frustrated with and Edun and both Watsons were clearly not impressing at points. 
    But we don't have time for developing young players in the first team at the moment, particularly when they've been brought in as a supposed upgrade
  • Options
    I love the " I told you so" approach. I said back in January that changing the manager wouldn't make a difference. And I know fuck all about football.

Regarding the nightmare that is dropping to the 4th division. You do know that there are leagues below that? If we are lucky we can do a Lincoln.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Well, that's our new manager bounce over with then. Other teams get a string of three or four wins. We get a first half in which we don't concede.

Trying very hard to think of positives, here goes: Istead looked better in goal than Lyndhurst does. Jones won a lot of headers, I was worried after recent performances that he'd only got picked as a namesake/countryman, in fact, in my head I could hear Windsor Davis going, 'lovely boy'. As it turns out though he was worthy of his place.  There was a lot of energy early on and we were winning the 50/50 balls; sadly it didn't last long. Kanu showed some much needed pace when he came on. Camara's cameo was very good. Really hoping that he can gain fitness quickly and play some full matches, we desperately need his creativity.

On the downside there was the typical kamikaze defending we've come to expect and a complete dearth of creativity in the final third. Oh, how we need someone who can put a decent cross in. We made real heavy weather of trying to break through their lines and on the only couple of occasions me managed it, we dithered rather than shooting. Oh, go on then I'll add one more positive: Lots of new grounds next season for the hoppers to enjoy.   
    This x 100.
  • Options
    I’m on my own here Ladapo will come good 
    I would like to think so & his stats back that up. But something's not right - whether that is fitness or he's not happy here or something else. He just looks a yard too slow- in body & in mind.