Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Four, Four, fucking 2.
    Bringing back the Duchatelet PR machine?????

Admittedly, it would mean at least someone scores.
  • Options
    Third of a season left. We haven't won in a third of a season. Absolutely cannot see us pulling away from relegation.

This makes painful viewing (form last 10 games)

• Options
    I would say that we're the classic "too good to go down" side that gets relegated, except that we aren't even "too good" now.

At least before we looked dangerous going forward, and it was just defensive cockups costing us. Now we look completely devoid of flair and potency as well.
  • Options
    Got some sympathy for the defence today. The ball just endlessly comes back at them because the midfield is completely nonexistent 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Not going to go over the 90 minutes because we were poor. One shot on target. Conceded from two set pieces. Now well and truly in a relegation battle and we don’t look up for it.

Reading look to be pulling away from trouble and we look to be falling through a trap door.

We’re punished for every mistake we make and I don’t see how it gets any better. Nathan Jones’ appointment provided a lot of hope but we’re poor in nearly old parts of the pitch and that doesn’t look like changing.

Andy Scott and company have made their bed and now we all have to lie in it.

Reading 2 Charlton 0
    Over to you.
    But we're not being 'punished for every mistake'  (just ask Jordan Rhodes).  We make so many that eventually a ball will fall kindly, one of theirs will catch one well, etc etc.   
    Exactly.  We constantly (2-3 times today?) play the ball blindly across the 18yd line, or if that doesn’t work we just pass directly to the oppos strikers.  Eventually even shit sides will score 
  • Options
    Well, that's our new manager bounce over with then. Other teams get a string of three or four wins. We get a first half in which we don't concede.

Trying very hard to think of positives, here goes: Istead looked better in goal than Lyndhurst does. Jones won a lot of headers, I was worried after recent performances that he'd only got picked as a namesake/countryman, in fact, in my head I could hear Windsor Davis going, 'lovely boy'. As it turns out though he was worthy of his place.  There was a lot of energy early on and we were winning the 50/50 balls; sadly it didn't last long. Kanu showed some much needed pace when he came on. Camara's cameo was very good. Really hoping that he can gain fitness quickly and play some full matches, we desperately need his creativity.

On the downside there was the typical kamikaze defending we've come to expect and a complete dearth of creativity in the final third. Oh, how we need someone who can put a decent cross in. We made real heavy weather of trying to break through their lines and on the only couple of occasions me managed it, we dithered rather than shooting. Oh, go on then I'll add one more positive: Lots of new grounds next season for the hoppers to enjoy.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps Nathan was saying the other day without actually saying it that IF we went down then the rebuild starts there the way he did with Luton.... His players not other peoples.

Let's be honest we've seen this coming for years and it's been miserable.

Okay getting relegated isn't exactly what we all want but if it means we keep Jones, clear out the rubbish, bring in some players who have a backbone, keep the money men and get rid of the SMT then I'd be okay with it.

The club needs a reset and a clean slate. 

Even if by a miracle of biblical proportions we stay up then we still need to cull and let Nathan run it...we can't keep papering over the cracks.

There are some major holes in this thinking and scenario planning.

Going down to a division one level above what I still call the GM Vauxhall Conference? Whilst trying to maintain an infrastructure that includes a nigh on 30k stadium, training ground that at least belongs in the Championship, salaries to support that are in many cases well above league one average (Jones will not have been cheap either!).

The huge drop in revenue will not have been factored in to the current spending. 

1) Keep Jones? Thats gonna be a massive chunk out the budget and that’s if he would even want to manage in league 2. The guy was in the prem most recently!

2) And how do we foresee clearing out the rubbish? The value of all the players will be at an all time low. We won’t get the money back we paid for people, and in what would be an ever more vital battle to stay the right side of FFP - we won’t get the monies for the home grown players (straight to profit) than we would have got in league one.

3) Keep the money men? They didn’t sign up for league two football.

4) More people to pay off by getting rid of the SMT. And in some cases they are shareholders. So how is that going to work exactly?

• Options
    Anyone get hit with coins and plastic bottles?
  • Options
    edited February 10
    I'm really not sure a medical should be the main focus when agreeing to sign these players.
    We need some sort of capability test where we put them on the pitch and watch if they can control,pass ,shoot, head.....run!

I've seen enough of these phoneys charading as footballers.
  • Options
    Any positives from today?
    I've just had a lovely ruby.
  • Options
    Seeing some people having doubts about Jones already after having our fanbase calling him the messiah twenty four hours ago.

We are truly damaged as a fanbase.
    Haven’t seen that here to be fair. We all know it’s down to Andy Scott and the poor player recruitment. 
  • Options
    .gmantaxi said:
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
    Yes, because playing in an empty Valley is soul destroying. You’d hope we’d be in with a promotion push, but that isn’t guaranteed. 
  • Options
    Four, Four, fucking 2.
    Four, Four, fucking 2.
    No wingers for that
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Four, Four, fucking 2.
    Four, Four, fucking 2.
    No wingers for that
    Could have in a diamond. Not sure we have the fullbacks for it though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defending for both of those goals is embarrassing. 
  • Options
    Big shout out to a large contingent of Charlton fans today who were so ridiculously badly behaved. You know who you are, you know what you were doing, stop being absolute idiots and just support the team and watch the bloody game. Morons. 
  • Options
    I am sure Jones leant a lot today but be he should have already have learnt some things from the other coaches and videos, he should have learnt that Ladapo is not much good and our two wingbacks do not fulfil their function - simple stuff. Jones is no the saviour that most of you proclaim.
    I'll judge him when he has a full transfer window. 
    I won't judge him having to work with these clowns 
  • Options
    Big shout out to a large contingent of Charlton fans today who were so ridiculously badly behaved. You know who you are, you know what you were doing, stop being absolute idiots and just support the team and watch the bloody game. Morons. 
    come on, what did they do? 
  • Options
    Genuinely feels like half this team have just given up. Only one result when that happens