Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Feel so deflated after that result and seeing the other relegation rivals pick up points. Now I'm feeling worried. 
  • Options
    Any positives from today?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Playing 3-5-2…..surely Jones has looked at videos of our games…….we just can’t play that formation……my first doubt about the Welsh Pep…..
    I don't disagree but the problem is we have five fit senior CBs at the club, and that's after letting our seventh choice CB go to Bromley.

This team was re-re-built to play 3-5-2. We just don't have the wingbacks, creative Midfielder, or hold up player to do that.

The latter two will still be a problem with 4-4-2 diamond, and we only have one winger so 4-3-3 isn't a great Idea. 
    4-4-2 or 4-5-1…..we need points not entertainment…..we brought in 2 new wing backs and Jones plays Edun and T Watson over them which is worrying……
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:
    Why play 3-5-2 when you don't have the players to play it? Seems particularly stupid to me. 
    Although I don't disagree with your point, what formation do we have the players for?

Buggered if I can work it out. It just sums up how poor recruitment decisions have been.
    442  Campbell on the left plus three CMs. Bakinson could be a Graham Stuart type as a narrow RM. Kanu and May up top....plenty of movement. Let the full-backs concentrate on defending. It's that bad at present, the whole thing needs to be kept simple for this lot.  We need to walk before we can run and a 0-0 or a 1-0 wouldn't go amiss. 
    Campbell should be nowhere near a relegation battle….not what we need right now…..not fair on him as he is learning…..
  • Options
    But the intent is there 
  • Options
    The meat pies aren't bad at Reading.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    19 matches, without a clean sheet.

1 away win in the league all season (it’s February!

Last win in the league, 28th of November.

Havent had back to back wins  in the league all season.

Bring back the ‘heady days’ of midtable!

Midtable even!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the game today it was awful terrible we have amazing support and it was wasted today

no one gave  a bollocks today so sad 

going down down down 
  • Options
    I’d say Camara.

But we seem to have this thing when people come in, they look better, until they actually have to string some games together.

Thomas being proof of that today.

I would say Camara genuinely looks quality though. 
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Grim. Not all down to them, but T Watson and Edun were terrible today, not solid Ben Purrington types defensively, but also providing zero attacking flair. 

Desperate lack of quality until Camara came on. Couldn't see very well from the away end, so who was at fault for the first goal?
    Long throw Thomas and Bakinson attempted to attack the ball but neither with conviction it came off Bakinson who I thought was being wrestled fell to their unmarked man, who got away from L Watson and volleyed it home.
  • Options
    Relegation odds have moved from 7/1 to 11/4 today. Bizarrely that makes us only seventh favourites to go down.
  • Options
    At this point, staying up is a miracle. We have four games coming up where I can't see us getting a single point. If we do stay up Nathan Jones has performed a miracle. We were so bad today it angers me how little some of these players seem to care.
    I think jones will shake it up and we will
    pick up points when where we aren't expected to, it's the Charlton way!

Hopefully camara back will be massive for us. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:
    Why play 3-5-2 when you don't have the players to play it? Seems particularly stupid to me. 
    Although I don't disagree with your point, what formation do we have the players for?

Buggered if I can work it out. It just sums up how poor recruitment decisions have been.
    442  Campbell on the left plus three CMs. Bakinson could be a Graham Stuart type as a narrow RM. Kanu and May up top....plenty of movement. Let the full-backs concentrate on defending. It's that bad at present, the whole thing needs to be kept simple for this lot.  We need to walk before we can run and a 0-0 or a 1-0 wouldn't go amiss. 
    Campbell should be nowhere near a relegation battle….not what we need right now…..not fair on him as he is learning…..
    Part of learning....a big part....is getting involved when the going is tough. Part of management...a big part....is helping players understand that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope all the fans that said they were happy with the window are still happy. Now that you have actually seen these losers play, instead of reading about them on wiki how do you feel now? Scott must absolutely go.
    A lot of players today were not trying. They are a gutless bunch who have no love for Charlton. 
    Supporters please dont indulge this team. I urge you to boo them. Dont fawn around them , like you fawned around Taylor and the previous owners. It will be embarrassing if any of you attend the poty. 
    Oblivion is just around the corner. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

That's it in a nutshell right there.
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Over the last two decades my god we've had some dross squads - so much shite that I can't really say if this is the worst squad or not.

But I've never seen such a disjointed rag-tag bunch of specimens - not only are the majority of them gutless and appalling - but they just seem thrown together with absolutely no idea.

And it's always a worry when a striker is made captain - a lot of the time it means there's no forthright player in defence or midfield that can take charge.

Pack of overpaid wankers - cant see a run of wins in them at all.

But they just seem thrown together with absolutely no idea.

You have heard of the SMT think that says it all.

• Options
    reckon we will survive on goal difference
    Hope you are right, Would be happy just to stay up and hopefully regroup for next season if we go down we are going to lose some key players.
    Other than May have we got any key players
  • Options
    I’d say Camara.

But we seem to have this thing when people come in, they look better, until they actually have to string some games together.

Thomas being proof of that today.

I would say Camara genuinely looks quality though. 
    They’re like a new signing until we play them.

In fairness, Camara did show flashes today in a way none of the new signings have so far managed. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Lincoln game is even bigger now, if they don’t show fight the atmosphere will be toxic quickly and the 3 games after are guaranteed to create 0 points 
    Atmosphere will be toxic quickly if no fight. 
    Doubt it we have heard that threat before this season , and it hasn’t happened.
  • Options
    Seeing some people having doubts about Jones already after having our fanbase calling him the messiah twenty four hours ago.

We are truly damaged as a fanbase.
    It’s not even close to being his fault. 

But he was never the messiah. The problems we have you could bring in Pep and it wouldn’t work.

Think back to the times when Charlton had success in your lifetime. Thats a pretty decent sample size of seasons. And look at the ingredients we had in place at the time.

This is simply not the way from top to bottom to getting this football club on the right path.