Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    If we go down which I think we will now. I don’t think the club survives it 
  • Options
    Playing 3-5-2…..surely Jones has looked at videos of our games…….we just can’t play that formation……my first doubt about the Welsh Pep…..
  • Options
    reckon we will survive on goal difference
  • Options
    edited February 10
    hope it's not 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss(es)' .. PLEASE Jones Boy, do NOT persist with 3 5 2 or variations thereof, our defenders/ and (so called) wing backs are not good enough to get away with it .. Lincoln is now a big game, but I suppose, ain't they all from now on

EDIT .. Hear the echoes reverberating about a crazy back 3, a back 4 please
  • Options
    Surely Small and Ramsay must be better than Watson and Edun. Camara in and Kanu for Ladapoo and we have a great chance of a draw.
    Sad to watch players hesitate, maybe that will get better when they play together more and get some confidence.
    Reckon NJ will have some hard conversations Monday.
  • Options
    I’ve tried very hard to stay patient, not turn on anyone and contribute to an already negative atmosphere that is unlikely to help our situation, but there’s just no more defending them.

Kanu the only one who gets any credit and that’s just because he was the only one who truly like he was giving it his all. I rarely think players just aren’t trying or don’t care, but I saw too many not trying hard enough and not caught enough today. That is an extremely worrying sign.

If our technical director truly has looked at how we’ve been in recent weeks and decided that the solution is to force out one of the only two senior players that play with genuine passion and desire, then I just don’t know how to debate that kind of stupid. 

I think Isted did well and earned number 1 shirt for rest of the season.  Alfie looked knackered but still put a shift in.  L Watson put in a performance with a glimmer of creativity and potential that has surely been hindered by his lack of first team football this term which has been inexplicable.  Camara also showed us what we have missed in his absence with his late cameo and Kanu came on and tried his bollocks off when he came on and unlucky not to get a goal.

Don't think the others did anything of note which is grim.

Disagree on Isted, thought it was mostly more of the same. May yes he ran around a lot I’ll give you that. I do expect a bit more from
    him though, all his quality has been absent. Maybe harsh on him. Louie Watson had flashes but really, not enough.

Camara I agree did ok.

It’s clutching at straws though. No meaningful sights of goal, soft goals conceded, and lost out in too many one on one battles. Not to mention the number of casual touches from certain player meaning balls ran out of play, crosses barely became airborne, and possession was repeatedly cheaply surrendered. 

Relegation 6 pointer. New manger. Large vocal away crowd. If they can’t all, at the very least, be up for that then what hope is there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Why play 3-5-2 when you don't have the players to play it? Seems particularly stupid to me. 
    Although I don't disagree with your point, what formation do we have the players for?

Buggered if I can work it out. It just sums up how poor recruitment decisions have been.
    433, 41212, 451
  • Options
    reckon we will survive on goal difference
    Hope you are right, Would be happy just to stay up and hopefully regroup for next season if we go down we are going to lose some key players.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    Not having the majority blame being passed on to Sandgaard & Roland, these so called football people created this team, hired the likes of Appleton.

If we are relegated it is all on them.  
    I agree about the Appleton hire but there is something at the club that is rotten to the core. We've signed players with decent pedigree who just don't seem to live up to it time and time again. That is surely a club issue. I think most people on here will know I think Dobbo isn't perfect but one thing he would have showed today is passion and it didn't seem like anyone on that pitch had that.

Going forward our main issue is that the 2 up top are incredibly isolated. How you fix that with our current squad is a mystery to me
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Why play 3-5-2 when you don't have the players to play it? Seems particularly stupid to me. 
    Although I don't disagree with your point, what formation do we have the players for?

Buggered if I can work it out. It just sums up how poor recruitment decisions have been.
    This is the issue. We can’t play 4-3-3 as we don’t have the wingers, and May has not looked good up top by himself.

I can see us moving to a 4-1-2-1-2, but it is also a bit risky to start with a formation we have not played all season (and we are still relying on the same full backs to provide us with some width). 
  • Options
    We're in trouble but enough time to turn things around. I feel Aneke and Camara being and staying fit is going to be key...

Get rid of this wingback formation as well 
  • Options
    mrbligh said:
    Simonsen said:

433, 41212, 451
    21232 22222 631

Its the players we have are crap however they line up.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

This is the issue. We can’t play 4-3-3 as we don’t have the wingers, and May has not looked good up top by himself.

I can see us moving to a 4-1-2-1-2, but it is also a bit risky to start with a formation we have not played all season (and we are still relying on the same full backs to provide us with some width). 
    I kind of agree and would like to see a diamond. The issue is that Edun & Watson are poor defensively so with a back 4 we will be very vulnerable in wide areas
  • Options
    Tuesday is a huge game. A must win.
    So was today 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    gmantaxi said:
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
    We'll end up being a shit mid table league 2 side. 
    As high up the league as mid table!!
  • Options
    We’ve been riding our luck for a few seasons, players like Rak Saki, have papered over the cracks, but it’s quite astonishing at the rate of progress downwards this season.

Appleton was useless, basically bringing him in, has set us on a downward trajectory, can NJ get us out of trouble, I really hope so, but he’s got a huge task on his hands.
    Spot on
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Playing 3-5-2…..surely Jones has looked at videos of our games…….we just can’t play that formation……my first doubt about the Welsh Pep…..
    I don't disagree but the problem is we have five fit senior CBs at the club, and that's after letting our seventh choice CB go to Bromley.

This team was re-re-built to play 3-5-2. We just don't have the wingbacks, creative Midfielder, or hold up player to do that.

The latter two will still be a problem with 4-4-2 diamond, and we only have one winger so 4-3-3 isn't a great Idea. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

442  Campbell on the left plus three CMs. Bakinson could be a Graham Stuart type as a narrow RM. Kanu and May up top....plenty of movement. Let the full-backs concentrate on defending. It's that bad at present, the whole thing needs to be kept simple for this lot.  We need to walk before we can run and a 0-0 or a 1-0 wouldn't go amiss. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    gmantaxi said:
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
    We'll end up being a shit mid table league 2 side. 
    As high up the league as mid table!!
    For a few years. 
  • Options
    Not gonna read though the shit

we didn’t have a shot

jones won’t save that one

Shit 

• Options
    Grim. Not all down to them, but T Watson and Edun were terrible today, not solid Ben Purrington types defensively, but also providing zero attacking flair. 

Desperate lack of quality until Camara came on. Couldn't see very well from the away end, so who was at fault for the first goal?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    22 points away from Stevenage. Wow.
    Yeah but they have a manager who might be slightly mean to some of our players so thankfully we don't have him here.