Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Tuesday is a huge game. A must win.
    It is, but they are all big games, until we get out of trouble.
  • Options
    1) all but 1 of the starting 11, made their debut this season. That's not a team.

2) we let 3 attacking midfielders go in Jan, and brought in 0. Now we just have a loanee and a youth player for attacking midfield.

3) we have no physical presence up front. Our only hope is Chuks coming back, firing, and staying fit.

4) we are playing a 3-5-2 with wing backs that aren't really wing backs.

5) we've had a goalie who can't organise a defence. Now we're banking on a goalie with half a season's experience. 

6) no clean sheets in 19

7) no wins in 14

8) no leaders

How can that NOT be a relegation team.
    This. Especially points 2,3 &4.

Read them again & again. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Camara looked head and shoulders above our other players. Really hope we can sign him in the summer although imagine he'll have far better suitors than us if he stays fit.

Seen Ladapo enough now to see that he really wasn't any sort of signing we should have been making. Offers nothing we don't already have and is just another body up top with May rather than the partner he and the team desperately needs
    I agree, think Camara is a cut above in both ability and effort. Issue is he won’t be able to start for 2 or 3 games. 

Ladapo needs a goal but don’t think we have the creativity to provide. 

At this point it’s worth putting Kanu on the right and Campbell on the left just to give us some attacking width. That or a diamond. I think a diamond with Coventry sitting, Bakinson and Camara as the 8s and Watson as a 10 might work 
  • Options
    Lose on Tuesday and I think we are down ( yes I know there are 14 games left ) …. All going Bromley clap 👏🏼 your hands 
  • Options
    Posted whilst in the car park waiting to get out and without reading any other posts.

Whoever decided we need to play with wingbacks & not with wingers needs shooting. You have to ask....is your wingback a winger & therefore sometimes forges his defensive duties or a defender first and therefore nit great crossing or beating a defender. Your choice. You cant have both.....unless you millions to spend. 

Our problem is that we have no real width. No outlet. And no creativity. 

I fear we are getting relegated this season as I cant see where  a goal is coming from, let alone a win. 
    Thank fuck someone is saying it. They are being asked to be our attacking threat, they actually cannot cross the ball ! Edun had four attempts within three minutes to carry out that basic skill, three times it hit the first defender and the last time the ball ended up nearer me than any of our forwards. One more thing, the Lapado and Louie Watson fan clubs, WTF ! 
  • Options
    After six decades of supporting this club have seen lots of highs and lows,
    Don't know if I got it in me to keep it up if they go into the Second Division, Never seen it so dire.
    Sangaard are must be breathing a sigh of relief he dodged a bullet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't know if I got it in me to keep it up if they go into the Second Division, Never seen it so dire.
    Partly the reason we are here.
  • Options
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
  • Options
    Isted an improvement. No other positives really from that game 
    Was he? Flapped at a cross first half. Made a spectacular looking save you’d expect him to make. Came rushing out a couple of times and nearly got in trouble. Pushed a shot right back into the danger zone. Kept kicking his clearances straight at Reading defenders. Apart from not wearing a mask I thought he was just like having AMB in goal. 
    Isted and AMB are both totally average. Neither will be the reason we get relegated, nether will be the reason we get promoted. 

Awful performance all round today, in a “must not lose” we lost 2-0 and hardly registered a punch. 

Only saving grace was the pub recommended by @Chippycafc which was a lot better than the football. 

God knows where we go from here. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Bloody piss poor again.

But let’s keep the faith. It’s only the first game under Nathan Jones. Things are looking bad but we’ve got time to rally and lots of points to play for. 
    Agreed. We're stuck with these players, all we can do is continue to get behind them and hope Jones can pull something out of the bag. 
  • Options
    Jones saying he’s learnt a lot today, if T.Watson starts in Tuesday then he’s learnt fuck all 
    I pray to god the main thing he's learnt is that todays formation will get us relegated.
  • Options
    gmantaxi said:
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
    We'll end up being a shit mid table league 2 side. 
  • Options
    This.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Bailey said:
    Posted whilst in the car park waiting to get out and without reading any other posts.

Whoever decided we need to play with wingbacks & not with wingers needs shooting. You have to ask....is your wingback a winger & therefore sometimes forges his defensive duties or a defender first and therefore nit great crossing or beating a defender. Your choice. You cant have both.....unless you millions to spend. 

I fear we are getting relegated this season as I cant see where  a goal is coming from, let alone a win. 
    Thank fuck someone is saying it. They are being asked to be our attacking threat, they actually cannot cross the ball ! Edun had four attempts within three minutes to carry out that basic skill, three times it hit the first defender and the last time the ball ended up nearer me than any of our forwards. One more thing, the Lapado and Louie Watson fan clubs, WTF ! 
    Trouble is they can’t defend properly either 😤. Drop the pair of them go to a flat back four, bring in at least Ramsay at RB move Thomas to LB with Jones & REG at CB on Tuesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Bailey said:

Trouble is they can’t defend properly either 😤. Drop the pair of them go to a flat back four, bring in at least Ramsay at RB move Thomas to LB with Jones & REG at CB on Tuesday.
    Spot on, play what you consider to be players you can rely on, that being the case get rid of these two clowns 
  • Options
    No quality on display. 
    Can’t see us staying up with that kind of performance 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    gmantaxi said:
    We'll end up being a shit mid table league 2 side. 
    Not much difference tbh 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Isted an improvement. No other positives really from that game 
    Was he? Flapped at a cross first half. Made a spectacular looking save you’d expect him to make. Came rushing out a couple of times and nearly got in trouble. Pushed a shot right back into the danger zone. Kept kicking his clearances straight at Reading defenders. Apart from not wearing a mask I thought he was just like having AMB in goal. 
    Isted and AMB are both totally average. Neither will be the reason we get relegated, nether will be the reason we get promoted. 

Awful performance all round today, in a “must not lose” we lost 2-0 and hardly registered a punch. 

Only saving grace was the pub recommended by @Chippycafc which was a lot better than the football. 

God knows where we go from here. 
    Back to that pub if I were you mate.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    We’ve been riding our luck for a few seasons, players like Rak Saki, have papered over the cracks, but it’s quite astonishing at the rate of progress downwards this season.

Appleton was useless, basically bringing him in, has set us on a downward trajectory, can NJ get us out of trouble, I really hope so, but he’s got a huge task on his hands.
    The form from Appleton's first two months are what's keeping us from being rock bottom. Thankfully we had that before it all fell apart 
  • Options
    I am a bloody eternal optimist, often to my detriment but I think we will get a result on Tuesday and I think we will stay up. Jones will act on what he saw today and despite how shit we have been we have the individual quality in the team to survive.
    Two things are vital for me, though.
    1. We are told the situation with Dobson.
    2. Rodwell and Scott are moved on. We don’t need them for the rest of the season and it seems that Scott in particular may be responsible for much of the negative mood around the club.

From my pal ITK, all of your points are correct
  • Options
    Can we leave Edun and Watson in Reading? 
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Why play 3-5-2 when you don't have the players to play it? Seems particularly stupid to me.