Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    all together now .. THAT'S BECAUSE OUR SQUAD IS NEITHER BUILT NOR SUITED TO PLAY A BACK THREE !! .. as Stephen Hawking might have said 'it ain't fecking rocket science' .. sort it out Jones AND quickly
    Out of interest, what formation are we built to play?

because we don’t have wingers, so can’t play a 433 or 4231

i would say this squad is more built towards a 352 than anything else (granted not saying much)

it’s either this or a diamond in my opinion
    4 4 2 .. the best formation for teams struggling defensively .. any other 'formation' is too complex for our squad i m o,  especially as we have so many new players to mould into some semblance of togetherness .. KISS .. keep it simple stupid
    We have so few wide players to be able to play that. Maybe Jones can convert some of the midfielder to do it but I'm struggling at this point to see who that could be
  • Options
    Ladapo was a decent player for Ipswich. Maybe the injury has ruined him. 
    When we signed him he hadn't played for about a year. 
    Was recovering from a serious injury. 
    Had no pre season. 
    Whoever signed him on the back of that and expected him to hit the ground running is an idiot. 
    All true yeh
  • Options
    Didn’t have our goalkeeper failing the Charlton Life height test on my bingo card today. Isted is 6ft 1in. Same height as the England number one, Jordan Pickford. 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    ^^^^^ @JohnnyH2 .. we have any number of wide players, look at all the 'full backs' we have now on the books .. my emphasis would be on defence otherwise the Boltons, Derbys etc, are gonna slaughter us .. old school Alf Ramsey ..  wingless wonders if you like ..  look after defence and let the attack look after itself .. stop leaking goals is THE priority
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Gribbo said:
    Southbank said:
    Gribbo said:
    How many of today's starting 11 would you definitely like to keep for next season. 

May is the only 1 I'd be really 
    disappointed with if he left.

That in itself shows you how fucking dreadful our recruitment has een 
    May
    Bakinson 
    Coventry
    May, yes
    Bakinson- another Gilbey
    Coventry-Dobbo without the tackle
    I weren't saying they should go into the Hall of Fame or anything mate, just that I think those players could do a job in any decent League 1 side. But, I suppose not genuinely wanting to get rid of every player in the squad, except May, is going to be scoffed at on here from now on in. 🙄
    Well we're stuck with Coventry but there's no way I'd be doing a permanent deal for Bakinson at the end of his loan, based on what we've seen so far. Our midfield has been poor for a while but I don't think I've ever seen it as utterly non existent as it was yesterday.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    .gmantaxi said:
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
    Yes, because playing in an empty Valley is soul destroying. You’d hope we’d be in with a promotion push, but that isn’t guaranteed. 
    Empty Valley .   It’s been much worse than this. 
    Last six home games of 73/74 season average 3691 per game and we won 4 of those drawing 1 and only losing ONE.

PS Halifax was 72/73 ..,,3015 attendance.

I remember those days well.

Soul Destroying I agree with empty it’s been a lot worse.
    I think financial circumstances are different now. How long could Charlton survive in L2 with very small gates, what with the higher wages and overheads? I guess that would depend on how much money the owners are prepared to lose?
  • Options
    Nug said:
    We lack a lot of things right now but our delivery into the box is truly awful. Watson and Edun have never shown that ability. If either Ramsay or Small do they need to be given a chance. We are creating nothing.
    So we are now going to put our hopes of survival on a player we signed from Harrogate that until Feb 1st no-one had heard of.

Ye gods !!
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    I love the " I told you so" approach. I said back in January that changing the manager wouldn't make a difference. And I know fuck all about football.

Regarding the nightmare that is dropping to the 4th division. You do know that there are leagues below that? If we are lucky we can do a Lincoln.
    Got to agree. I think the manager role is overrated. If you have crap/average players theres not much a manager can do.
    I think a manager should be able to get the best out of average players, and that hasn’t really happened this season. Even getting 10% more can make a difference.
    First 10 or 15 minutes yesterday I thought we looked reasonably up for it, but the high press soon faded away, and normal service was resumed. A few players didn’t look like they were busting a gut, and hopefully Jones will have noticed that. 
    I’ve pointed out how poor Lloyd Jones has been recently, but he really put in a shift yesterday, one of the few positives. 
  • Options
    Got to be the diamond for the rest of the season , not exactly sure who plays as the most advanced midfielder in that , might have to try Anderson there on Tuesday. And Ramsey in for Tennai has to happen.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bakchat said:
    Highlight of the game from me was giving shit to a bloke in a white shirt....
    In a box or toilet roll?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Southbank said:
    Gribbo said:
    How many of today's starting 11 would you definitely like to keep for next season. 

May is the only 1 I'd be really 
    disappointed with if he left.

That in itself shows you how fucking dreadful our recruitment has een 
    May
    Bakinson 
    Coventry
    May, yes
    Bakinson- another Gilbey
    Coventry-Dobbo without the tackle
    I weren't saying they should go into the Hall of Fame or anything mate, just that I think those players could do a job in any decent League 1 side. But, I suppose not genuinely wanting to get rid of every player in the squad, except May, is going to be scoffed at on here from now on in. 🙄
    Well we're stuck with Coventry but there's no way I'd be doing a permanent deal for Bakinson at the end of his loan, based on what we've seen so far. Our midfield has been poor for a while but I don't think I've ever seen it as utterly non existent as it was yesterday.
    Not quite sure how we're gonna sign a new player in virtually every position, who'll come straight in and get 8s out of 10 from the first game they each play in. As bad as this collective of shite is, I'm just trying to look at players from the prospective of a League 1 club supporter.
  • Options
    ^^^^^ @JohnnyH2 .. we have any number of wide players, look at all the 'full backs' we have now on the books .. my emphasis would be on defence otherwise the Boltons, Derbys etc, are gonna slaughter us .. old school Alf Ramsey ..  wingless wonders if you like ..  look after defence and let the attack look after itself .. stop leaking goals is THE priority
    We played Derby a week ago, they didn’t slaughter us.
  • Options
    I think Golfie and Large posts have covered what most of us feel was poor about yesterdays team, formation and the individuals in that team. If we look from the back, Isted was an improvement on AMB and had a good game, Jones, was the standout defender, I'm not convinced by Thomas in the centre or Gilliphrey, REG or if Hector is fit, must come in, Small and Ramsey must surely be better options than Watson or Edun. As for the midfield, for all bakinson's strength and mobility he creates nothing, Louie Watson was poor yesterday and since the window, only Coventry has looked the part, maybe Camara, if fit can help that midfield create. On to the forwards, Lapado has been the biggest disappointment but  I wouldn't drop him, for me that should be a front three with Kanu  being added to Alfie and Lapado, with the option on the bench of Aneke then we may just recover a threat. Two games with wing backs should now convince Jones how that system creates more problems than it solves, so without any wingers available either form wise or because Andy Scott was convinced wing backs were the way forward and didn't replace CBT, we must play four three three. 
  • Options
    I watched the game on CharltonTV and for the first 20 minutes or so I thought we might finally get a result, but I realised it was only because Reading lost the ball more than we did!

After that it was business as usual, bad first touch, always second best when chasing a  loose ball!

For the past two seasons the two most used sentences on CharltonTV have been:

1: Oh! That’s a poor pass!

and

2:  Oh! That heavy first touch has given the ball back to (insert your opponent of choice here!)!

I’m generally a glass-half-full type of person, but that is rapidly changing!
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Got to be the diamond for the rest of the season , not exactly sure who plays as the most advanced midfielder in that , might have to try Anderson there on Tuesday. And Ramsey in for Tennai has to happen.  
    L Watson there for me.
  • Options
    JFoJFo
    edited February 11
    Melrose said:
    Criminal recruitment I'm afraid. Not getting another striker in is gonna cost us, especially as Ladapo has turned out to be worse than useless. We have all sorts of problems, but we pose NO goal scoring threat. Scott should fall on his sword, the total tosspot
    You can have all the bloody strikers in the world but if you can't get the ball to them it's not a lot of use is it?
    This squad not only lacks a spine but it lacks any form of creativity. That is a recipe for disaster and it's playing out in front of us 
    Ladapo didn’t know what to do with the ball when he got it today. He’s contributed absolutely nothing since he arrived.
    That’s not true.  He got in the way of an almost certain goal for us from a Gillesphey header.  So he has done something.
  • Options
    May looked effective in the 10 role….where we need a spark. Worth playing him there against Lincoln? 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think Golfie and Large posts have covered what most of us feel was poor about yesterdays team, formation and the individuals in that team. If we look from the back, Isted was an improvement on AMB and had a good game, Jones, was the standout defender, I'm not convinced by Thomas in the centre or Gilliphrey, REG or if Hector is fit, must come in, Small and Ramsey must surely be better options than Watson or Edun. As for the midfield, for all bakinson's strength and mobility he creates nothing, Louie Watson was poor yesterday and since the window, only Coventry has looked the part, maybe Camara, if fit can help that midfield create. On to the forwards, Lapado has been the biggest disappointment but  I wouldn't drop him, for me that should be a front three with Kanu  being added to Alfie and Lapado, with the option on the bench of Aneke then we may just recover a threat. Two games with wing backs should now convince Jones how that system creates more problems than it solves, so without any wingers available either form wise or because Andy Scott was convinced wing backs were the way forward and didn't replace CBT, we must play four three three. 
    He literally played a through ball that set up a one on one v. the keeper.
    (He’s set up chances in his previous games as well.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .gmantaxi said:
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
    Yes, because playing in an empty Valley is soul destroying. You’d hope we’d be in with a promotion push, but that isn’t guaranteed. 
    Last six home games of 73/74 season average 3691 per game and we won 4 of those drawing 1 and only losing ONE.

I think financial circumstances are different now. How long could Charlton survive in L2 with very small gates, what with the higher wages and overheads? I guess that would depend on how much money the owners are prepared to lose?
    I’m not sure how much lower the gates will be in L2. I think for most matches at the moment we have about 6,000 - 8,000 Charlton fans actually in the ground. That’s probably our core supporter base who will be there through thick and thin. That might reduce a little in L2, but most of that core group would go and watch Charlton at home whatever division we were in.

The number of away fans would definitely decline with the smaller teams in L2, although the Valley will be a “new ground” for most, plus the chance for the yokels to have a day out in the capital, which might make Charlton away a decent draw in L2.
    I admire your optimism. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .gmantaxi said:

I’m not sure how much lower the gates will be in L2. I think for most matches at the moment we have about 6,000 - 8,000 Charlton fans actually in the ground. That’s probably our core supporter base who will be there through thick and thin. That might reduce a little in L2, but most of that core group would go and watch Charlton at home whatever division we were in.

The number of away fans would definitely decline with the smaller teams in L2, although the Valley will be a “new ground” for most, plus the chance for the yokels to have a day out in the capital, which might make Charlton away a decent draw in L2.
    I agree the financial impact of L2 itself is being overstated. The club cannot be sustainable in the EFL full stop and would probably lose more trying to compete in the Championship. The problem is that you are one more year away from the Premier League, which guarantees an extra year of heavy losses.

Oh absolutely, I’m not trying to sugar coat us ending up in the fourth division, it would be a total disaster. Lord only knows whether the money men in our ownership group would continue to bankroll a club that’s three promotions away from the promised land.
  • Options
    We played Derby a week ago, they didn’t slaughter us.
    they won at the Valley .. different kettle at their place, AND at Bolton .. still, if you think a back 3 with a fancy midfield/attack formation is the way to go, than dream on
  • Options
    If we have to play Edun and T Watson can we not train them to take long throw ins from deep in the opponents half as they certainly can't cross with their feet! We should have someone (not Alfie) able to take these long throws which seem a decent weapon in League one!
  • Options

Away league table so far this season. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    I love the " I told you so" approach. I said back in January that changing the manager wouldn't make a difference. And I know fuck all about football.

Regarding the nightmare that is dropping to the 4th division. You do know that there are leagues below that? If we are lucky we can do a Lincoln.
    Got to agree. I think the manager role is overrated. If you have crap/average players theres not much a manager can do.
    Apart from getting them to work hard and frustrate the opposition. 
  • Options
    Imagine buying us for £12M without the freeholds. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    all together now .. THAT'S BECAUSE OUR SQUAD IS NEITHER BUILT NOR SUITED TO PLAY A BACK THREE !! .. as Stephen Hawking might have said 'it ain't fecking rocket science' .. sort it out Jones AND quickly

EDIT .. however, back 3 or back 4, the weakness in the air defending long throws is NOT acceptable

Nathan was a wing back so he will favour us to play that way just got to hope he takes the blinkers off & looks to change our shape