Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dinosaurs and the bible

We went on a guided tour around the Crystal Palace dinosaurs yesterday. So today, I was checking on a few things and came across this: https://www.morrowcountysentinel.com/2018/07/22/pastor-column-bible-tells-truth-about-dinosaurs/#

This raises at least two questions in my mind. First, what sort of a lunatic is this pastor?  Second, how can this newspaper make any claim to serious journalism?

Comments

• Options
    Didn't realise they did guided tours around there, live just down the road and often walk through in the summer, dinosaurs were looking a bit bruised and battered last time I went a few months ago
  • Options
    That was very funny thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    edited February 19
    We’ve learned a lot about dinosaurs over the last twenty years or so and reading the bible for information and advice about anything is completely futile. As for pastor Anthony Conchel, I’m surprised he has the intelligence to do up his shirt buttons.
    Have read the article.  Crazy stuff.  Anthony Conchel is the reporter - I think it was actually written by Pastor Stephen Howard (mentioned at the bottom).  How anyone can take the old testament (and even the new for that matter) as literal is crazy.  Most of the Bible is written in metahor and hundreds of years after events are supposed to have happened.
  • Options
    It is a good example how belief can overrule logic and indeed facts. I used to work with a 7th Day Adventist many years ago. A few of us used to have the odd lunchtime discussion and he believed there were no dinosaurs and the bones found were just those of big people arranged to look like dinosaurs by evil scientists. He believed it with a passion and could not be swayed.
  • Options
    Didn't realise they did guided tours around there, live just down the road and often walk through in the summer, dinosaurs were looking a bit bruised and battered last time I went a few months ago
    Look up the CP park trust and the friends of CP dinosaurs. You should see when they are doing the next talk. 
  • Options
    edited February 19
    He can't even keep his story straight in one short article.

"God told Noah, “And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female” (Genesis 6:19)."

Very next paragraph:

"A few small dinosaurs would have been on the ark. The larger species of dinosaurs were probably young and smaller on the ark. The rest of dinosaurs on earth were destroyed in the flood."

So Noah just decided that God didn't mean that bit about two of EVERY sort then? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CafcWest said:
    We’ve learned a lot about dinosaurs over the last twenty years or so and reading the bible for information and advice about anything is completely futile. As for pastor Anthony Conchel, I’m surprised he has the intelligence to do up his shirt buttons.
    Have read the article.  Crazyb stuff.  Anthony Conchel is the reporter - I think it was actually written by Pastor Stephen Howard (mentioned at the bottom).  How anyone can take the old testament (and even the new for that matter) as literal is crazy.  Most of the Bible is written in metahor and hundreds of years after events are supposed to have happened.
    Keep hearing it’s a metaphor but it’s actually just bollox.
  • Options
    We’re discovering new species of insects pretty much every week with estimated thousands if not millions still to discover. How does that square with the bible and the flood. They weren’t saved by Noah so are completely new since the great flood or they survived the deluge which means god fucked up. Quite why I’m engaging with this I have no idea apart from its ridiculousness, I really don’t know. The bible my arse.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

"God told Noah, “And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female” (Genesis 6:19)."

Very next paragraph:

"A few small dinosaurs would have been on the ark. The larger species of dinosaurs were probably young and smaller on the ark. The rest of dinosaurs on earth were destroyed in the flood."

So Noah just decided that God didn't mean that bit about two of EVERY sort then? 
    Have you tried catching a couple of Tyrannosaurus Rex ?  Bloody tricky I tell you. David's brother Richard tried and nearly got his hand bitten off. Only saved when Jeff Goldblum came to his rescue ! 

The bible is basically a lot of stories. The Christ bit I can understand & believe a lot of it is true. But the OT, especially Genesis, are merely stories, probably made up to get the kids to get to sleep.

Dinosaurs were around 650 million years ago. Way way way before humans came along. 
  • Options
    It is a good example how belief can overrule logic and indeed facts. I used to work with a 7th Day Adventist many years ago. A few of us used to have the odd lunchtime discussion and he believed there were no dinosaurs and the bones found were just those of big people arranged to look like dinosaurs by evil scientists. He believed it with a passion and could not be swayed.
    Try working with a Islamic looney, they really are a laugh a minute!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Very next paragraph:

One look at a couple of Brontosaurus and it all went “we need a bigger boat”. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Very next paragraph:

Have you tried catching a couple of Tyrannosaurus Rex ?  Bloody tricky I tell you.  
    And they don't take kindly to having their genetials checked either I would guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Very next paragraph:

Have you tried catching a couple of Tyrannosaurus Rex ?  Bloody tricky I tell you. David's brother Richard tried and nearly got his hand bitten off. Only saved when Jeff Goldblum came to his rescue ! 

The bible is basically a lot of stories. The Christ bit I can understand & believe a lot of it is true. But the OT, especially Genesis, are merely stories, probably made up to get the kids to get to sleep.

Dinosaurs were around 650 million years ago. Way way way before humans came along. 
    245 to 65 million years ago, but who’s counting?
  • Options
    We’re discovering new species of insects pretty much every week with estimated thousands if not millions still to discover. How does that square with the bible and the flood. They weren’t saved by Noah so are completely new since the great flood or they survived the deluge which means god fucked up. Quite why I’m engaging with this I have no idea apart from its ridiculousness, I really don’t know. The bible my arse.
    Evolution?

Ah shit maybe not 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Very next paragraph:

Mike Rutherford is not going to be too happy with you...

Carefully crafted musical excellence.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Very next paragraph:

Mike Rutherford is not going to be too happy with you...

Carefully crafted musical excellence.
    Jesus he knows me and he knows I’m right.
    Been talking to Jesus, all my life.

Thats all.
  • Options
    Fascinated by the Bible, which I have concluded is a great history book where the key content can be got to by a robust disreguarding of all the religious stuff.
    Quite why mouthpieces get their knickers in a twist over it's mere existance or the fact certain sections of society read more into it than sanity allows, is beyond me. 

Move on and have a pop at the Qoran, oh what's that? Don't fancy it?

Love dinosaurs though.
  • Options
    edited February 19
    it's not totally beyond belief .. how many big bangs have taken place over uncountable time .. how many black holes have swallowed massive galaxies and then spat out new ones ? .. answers on a fifty pound note please