Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dinosaurs and the bible

Comments

• Options
    holyjo said:
    I don’t believe in a god and I live my life by values that I’d consider humanitarian or at least as much as 99% of people. I hate the term “Christian values”. It’s bloody insulting.
    Whether you believe or not, the teachings and values attributed to Jesus is what represents Christian Values. Not that only christians have them I suspect. That's how I see it so don't find it insulting for that reason.  What I find strange is the most conservative christians don't really share those values!
    Values like killing women for losing their virginity out of wedlock, or killing a child for cursing their parents? Perhaps it’s the pro slavery teaching that make for Christian values? 

Wait, murdering rape victims has to be the real winner. 

But it’s all ok if it does no harm to others 🤦 
    Those values are Old Testament …. Pre Christ and as such not Christian. Part of Jewish law as described in the Torah or first five books of the old Testament 
    Isn’t there somewhere in the New Testament where Jesus is reported to have said that people should honour the holy words and books that preceded him?

Matthew 4 1-11
    Matthew 5 17-18

• Options
    holyjo said:
    I don’t believe in a god and I live my life by values that I’d consider humanitarian or at least as much as 99% of people. I hate the term “Christian values”. It’s bloody insulting.
    Whether you believe or not, the teachings and values attributed to Jesus is what represents Christian Values. Not that only christians have them I suspect. That's how I see it so don't find it insulting for that reason.  What I find strange is the most conservative christians don't really share those values!
    Values like killing women for losing their virginity out of wedlock, or killing a child for cursing their parents? Perhaps it’s the pro slavery teaching that make for Christian values? 

Those values are Old Testament …. Pre Christ and as such not Christian. Part of Jewish law as described in the Torah or first five books of the old Testament 
    Yet still the words of god. 
  • Options
    holyjo said:

Slavery, homophobia, violence and misogyny are all "values" which are promoted in the New Testament.  I think these "values" ought not to be taught. 
  • Options
    Does a domestic cat have a sense of moral values?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Most people are perfectly tolerant of each others' choices as to whether to put their faith in one or other religion.  (Although there seems to be smatterings of intolerance of people who choose not to exhibit faith).  In many cases, someone's choice of religious direction is worthy of almost no notice whatsoever: if someone wants to follow a new religion, that should be of very little consequence to anyone else.  

Where, I think, a lot of people take exception, is where those that choose to follow a specific religion follow it blindly, unquestioningly and with seemingly little critical thought.  This thread started off with a link to a local paper columnist, Pastor Stephen Howard, who believes and promotes the idea that the bible "tells the truth" about dinosaurs.  It's an utterly ridiculous notion.  It's proven to be wrong.  Yet someone who appears to be a functioning, sapiential being is given space to lecture some utter bilge.  

He says that all dinosaurs existed at the same time as humans.  He says that dinosaurs were all vegetarians.  He says that dinosaurs didn't die until humans committed the first sins. That many of the fossils found were of dinosaurs who drowned in the flood. And he sources the bible as ultimate, unimpeachable provenance of all of these "facts".  

If someone chooses to follow a faith, that's of no consequence to anyone, in almost every sphere.  But if someone chooses to believe - and to promote - these fallacious, deceptive terminological inexactitudes, then they should be called out.  Liars shouldn't be given space to promulgate their lies.  

Given the irrefutable, fact-based evidence of evolution, why are these religious zealots allowed to misinterpret and deflect?  Why should there be tolerance of people who aim to force others to accept lies? 

I would like to know what Pastor Stephen Howard reconciles his view that all "creation" was made in seven days, when we have evidence, witnessed since the written, historical, human record, of evolution by natural selection that could not have taken place prior to humans being on earth, but has taken place since: 

Antibiotic resistance in bacteria 
    Pesticide resistance in insects 
    Industrial melanism in Peppered Moths 
    Evolution of drug resistance in HIV 
    Evolution of herbicide resistance in weeds 
    Fish populations adapting to overfishing by maturing earlier 
    Lizard populations evolving longer legs to escape predators in urban areas 
    ...and so on, and on, and on...
    Thanks very much for that list Chizz, in particular for Industrial melanism in Peppered Moths. I enjoyed reading about that.

Perhaps while he's at it, Pastor Howard would like to explain why Swallowtail butterflies here in England are smaller than their continental cousins. It's nothing to do with creation. It's due to the fact that we have restricted the scope of their environment here. Between emerging from the pupae and mating, male swallowtails will fly often in seemingly random directions. Our inability to effectively manage the fenlands where they thrive, has meant that most of their suitable habitats in England have been lost. The only ones that can successfully procreate are the smaller ones who don't fly as far and stay very close to where they were born. The larger ones are more likely to go off-piste and end up in habitats where they can't find a mate, and even if they did their youngsters wouldn't survive anyway. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    holyjo said:

Isn’t there somewhere in the New Testament where Jesus is reported to have said that people should honour the holy words and books that preceded him?

Matthew 4 1-11
    Matthew 5 17-18

But Matthew (or whoever purported to be Matthew) comes up with some right old bollocks. Matthew 2:16-18 recounts the tale (and it is indeed a tale) of the Massacre of the Innocents. Now, don't get me wrong, Herod The Great was a really nasty bastard, after all he did murder three of his own sons. But the problem with the Massacre of the Innocents is that Herod died in 4BC....  Matthew's text is often described as a literary device - what you and I would call a porky.

Now for those that believe every word in the Bible, let's talk about the Virgin Birth.  It's a major and very important theme after all.
    In the original Hebrew text the word used is ha-almah, which merely means young girl.  The word for a virgin was bethulah and cannot be found anywhere in the Hebrew original text.  The mistranslation occurred when the text was translated into Greek and the word parthenos meaning virgin was used. This is merely a mistake; one pointed out by Jewish scholars as early as the first and second century. But ignored by Christians who much preferred the alternative version. Of course, there was no virgin birth. Mary, probably around 14 years old when she was tubbed, had just been shagged by the paedo local carpenter. Of course, for the illiterate and close-knit small village population, a visit from an angel seemed like a much better excuse for the pregnancy out of wedlock.  Certainly better than Joseph slipping a very young girl a portion behind the carpenter's shed. And hence a legend was born.
  • Options
    American ‘founding father’ Thomas Jefferson started on a 14 year old slave and she had six children by him.
    Maybe he was following the stuff in the Bible as so many Americans seemingly do.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    American ‘founding father’ Thomas Jefferson started on a 14 year old slave and she had six children by him.
    Maybe he was following the stuff in the Bible as so many Americans seemingly do.
    Quite likely. Until 2018 child marriage was perfectly legal in all 50 US states. Between 2000 and 2018 nearly 300,000 children got married in the USA.  Of course, the vast majority of those were young girls. But things have improved since then: only 38 states still allow child marriage! There are some age limits, like 15 in Hawaii and Kansas. But amazingly there are no lower age limits in California, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Mississippi. In any event a judge (or court clerk) can grant permission for a child to get married under these ages and they do. There are still girls as young as 12 getting married in the good ol' US of A. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jefferson didn’t marry his slave, simply had his way with her.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    That’s nothing, the Prophet Muhammad married a six year old
  • Options
    I can feel the mods trigger finger getting
    itchy..
  • Options
    I can feel the mods trigger finger getting
    itchy..
    Pray to God they don't 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    She had a name, you know
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    holyjo said:

Matthew 4 1-11
    Matthew 5 17-18

Millwall   4
    Charlton 5
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    She had a name, you know
    Yes, her name was Sally Hemings.
    Very probably a name given to her by her white slave masters rather than her heritage name.
    In those days the God fearing slave owners said the children of slaves were also slaves, so Jefferson’s six mixed race children would have been slaves.
    Jefferson the father of the American Constitution and the father of slaves.
    What is that American pledge, ‘One Nation Under God’?
  • Options
    …..gettin’ down just for the funk of it. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    holyjo said:

Matthew 4 1-11
    Matthew 5 17-18

Surely the only books that preceded him would have been the first few CPFC season review almanacs?
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Palace Alamanac. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    holyjo said:

Matthew 4 1-11
    Matthew 5 17-18

Millwall   4
    Charlton 5
    Now that would be a miracle!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    That's far worse than being Rickrolled.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I 100% support him doing it in the Thames. I'm sure his chosen sky fairy will protect him from any harm. 
  • Options
    🤣