Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dinosaurs and the bible

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 14
    R0TW said:
    Not sure if this thread has anything to do with Danson Park, as have only opened it at this final page.
    Just got back with the dog, and was greeted by a 40 foot dinosaur when coming out of the woods.
    My god, thought I really need to lighten up on my beer intake.
    As for me, I just cocked my leg up the side of it and carried on as usual.

• Options
    edited May 14
    Sorry - posted to wrong thread. On 'Know Your Birds' now. 
  • Options
    Getting back to the original topic of dinosaurs and the bible

In Conversation with Michael Taylor | Impossible Monsters – Humanists UK
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    if i had a child and kept them isolated from others, and home schooled them, and never mentioned god or religion, I would hazard a guess that they would never form the opinion that there was an all seeing, omnipotent power that was behind everything. 
    There are definitely some really strong positives for homeschooling in this age MOL. I know of some really great families who have taken this route. High achieving young people with great faith and a natural curiosity for true learning. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    if i had a child and kept them isolated from others, and home schooled them, and never mentioned god or religion, I would hazard a guess that they would never form the opinion that there was an all seeing, omnipotent power that was behind everything. 
    There are definitely some really strong positives for homeschooling in this age MOL. I know of some really great families who have taken this route. High achieving young people with great faith and a natural curiosity for true learning. 
    Every single person I’ve met that’s been homeschooled is 100% batshit crazy. 

The vast majority were yank religious nut nuts too.

It should be illegal. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
     Children need to mix with their peers. It’s part of what makes them rounded individuals. Being stuck with their parents and siblings deprives them of one of the most important things in growing up. Forming relationships with allcomers. No matter how broad the education provided at home it will be full of biases and prejudices. I’d outlaw it. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    There are definitely some really strong positives for homeschooling in this age MOL. I know of some really great families who have taken this route. High achieving young people with great faith and a natural curiosity for true learning
    Define "true learning".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A guy at work home schooled his son for a few years.
    They did it in groups, he was a physics graduate and would do the science subjects, with lab kits he got from the Internet.
    I have no doubt his explanations and enthusiasm were as good as science teachers in Lewisham where my children studied (that's not to criticize Lewisham science teachers, who do an excellent job).
    His son eventually went back to school education, but some children may need different routes to knowledge and if home schooling is what works best for a period of time, do it if you have the resources.
    Everyone is different.
  • Options
    Home schooling won’t in my opinion produce a well rounded individual who is comfortable with other people. Frankly I think it’s weird and is more about control than anything to do with education. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
     Children need to mix with their peers. It’s part of what makes them rounded individuals. Being stuck with their parents and siblings deprives them of one of the most important things in growing up. Forming relationships with allcomers. No matter how broad the education provided at home it will be full of biases and prejudices. I’d outlaw it. 
    I agree entirely SHG ~ children DO need to mix with their peers. And yes it IS part of what makes them rounded individuals. I can only speak of the few people I have known who are/were homeschooled and both these points you make are needs that are clearly met.  

I would say the current state (state being the operative word) of state school education is far from comprehensive and  fulll of biases and prejudices. 

If this (state school education) genuinely works for our children and somehow makes them well rounded productive adults of good will at the end ~ then great. 

• Options
    A guy at work home schooled his son for a few years.
    They did it in groups, he was a physics graduate and would do the science subjects, with lab kits he got from the Internet.
    I have no doubt his explanations and enthusiasm were as good as science teachers in Lewisham where my children studied (that's not to criticize Lewisham science teachers, who do an excellent job).
    His son eventually went back to school education, but some children may need different routes to knowledge and if home schooling is what works best for a period of time, do it if you have the resources.
    Everyone is different.
    Thank you for the posting AT. Interesting to read this. 
  • Options
    Indoctrinating children with religious dogma is immoral and arguably a form of abuse. If people want to follow a religion by their own volition that's up to them but brainwashing children is an awful thing to do 
    I agree ~ brainwashing children is an awful thing to do CM. 👍 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MrOneLung said:
    There are definitely some really strong positives for homeschooling in this age MOL. I know of some really great families who have taken this route. High achieving young people with great faith and a natural curiosity for true learning
    Define "true learning".
    I think a Liberal Arts education used to give young people a very rounded education and prepare them for university and to meet  the demands of life ahead... 
  • Options
    Cracks me up every time... And pretty much how I feel about the subject

https://youtu.be/UwowbaN1FF4?si=m1Gr7XnRQT0Yn--n
  • Options
    Home schooling won’t in my opinion produce a well rounded individual who is comfortable with other people. Frankly I think it’s weird and is more about control than anything to do with education. 
    My colleague's son was quite miserable at school at the time (I don't think it was bullying though), and there was a group of parents doing homeschooling near him, different parents doing subjects where they had expertise. I believe he also had other activities (sport maybe?) where he interacted with other children.

My wife's friend had a daughter who also struggled with traditional school (maybe mild Asperger's?) and really benefited from homeschooling for a bit.

We considered it briefly when my son, who is one of the youngest in his class, was almost refusing to go to school. It would have felt cruel to force him to go, had he not found his feet, and some friendly classmates.
  • Options
    I believe it is the law to educate your children.

Home schooling is liable to inspection.

SHG has made a point I am totally in agreement with, in that children need to learn to mix with and get along with each other.

However I would question whether the school system is necessarily a good option.

When approaching secondary school parents have to list six school choices. The likelihood is that only choice one or two are what parents actually want, but what happens if the authorities force parents into having choice six and they would really not want their child there?

You get a situation where the child is kind of forced to go there by law!

Now last week there were stories where children were suspended from school, or sent home for having the ‘wrong’ blimmin haircut, on other occasions the wrong uniform.

So there can arise a situation where a child is at a school they don’t want to go to, but can be denied access to that school for not obeying those school rules…is that not rather surreal?

The head says to the parents ‘I know you and your child don’t want to be here, but are forced by the system to be here anyway, but I am suspending your child and sending them home for not obeying our rules…and by the way you will be fined and possibly imprisoned for not sending your child here’.

Sixth choice out of six choices*

Home schooling or some other alternative in the context I describe above seems to me to be a better option than being forced into a school neither parent or child want to be at.

But the point made by SHG above that children ideally should learn to mix with others still stands, stands loud and proud.

*My nephew was forced to take choice number six.