Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Will miss having Portsmouth in our league next season. A game both teams sell out the away end, good atmospheres and normally a better than average game. 

We’ve so few games of interest. Losing them will be a blow 
    Enough games left for them to choke, slip out of the top two and then blow the play offs. It is Portsmouth after all. In retrospect, we should have been singing ‘we’ll be playing you again next year…’. Obviously Derby will blow their game in hand but should have enough in the tank to bounce back from that and wouldn’t rule Barnsley out from a late push.

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Awful game to watch. Riddled with stoppages and passing errors. Did well to get a point, given our complete lack of 2nd half attacking threat. 
    Don't disagree but needs must. Got to avoid the drop.
  • Options
    I left the ground smiling all the way back to the car.
    Outstanding effort from all the players, with Anderson once again being the stand out.

Kanu, Jones and Dobson were not far behind.
    Isted was solid. Small excellent for one so young and REG had his best game so far.

Thomas, Bakinson and May put in average performances with maximum effort.
    T Watson was below average, but he did give 100%.

I said it last week and I'll say it again. We will not be relegated if we play like that and put in that effort.

First clean sheet since when?
    and put the record on to celebrate.......
  • Options
    Highlights didn’t show the first half close range chance that Alfie put over the bar, so aren’t a fair reflection of the balance of play. 
    And the second clip in the highlights shows Jones getting his feet in a tangle, rather than clearing the ball. He had a great game yesterday because he won so many headers, but he still needs to improve on the deck. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Awful game to watch. Riddled with stoppages and passing errors. Did well to get a point, given our complete lack of 2nd half attacking threat. 
    Normally find I have a similar game take to you @Simonsen , but this surprised me.

Thought for a 0-0 it was a decent game full of commitment and energy, just lacking in some guile in the final third. Seen better, but despite the stoppages, managed to keep you intrigued throughout. 
    Think the atmosphere in the ground made it feel like it was a better game than it probably was. Not complaining probably a different between watching on VP and being at The Valley.
  • Options
    After watching Wolves v Sheff U, the standard of play does not seem much higher than League 1. Terrible passing and control. Roll on Premier League 😁
  • Options
    Excellent tackle. So good the fans didn't even cry for a penalty!
  • Options
    Will miss having Portsmouth in our league next season. A game both teams sell out the away end, good atmospheres and normally a better than average game. 

Sounds like you have given up on 2nd place AFKA...🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Normally find I have a similar game take to you @Simonsen , but this surprised me.

Thought for a 0-0 it was a decent game full of commitment and energy, just lacking in some guile in the final third. Seen better, but despite the stoppages, managed to keep you intrigued throughout. 
    Just thought that after the initial flurry, there was very little penalty box action. Neither side looked like scoring. Plenty of commitment etc but not much quality (crosses that were more like clearances). Plus far too many stoppages for no reason. 
  • Options
    edited February 25
    Just something to think about on Tuesday, I have just seen that Derby are second after Liverpool for scoring goals in the last 15 minutes. Do not get excited if we are winning 1-0 with 15 minutes to go 🤔
  • Options
    ross1 said:

We will just have to wait until the season after, when we join them in the Championship 👍😁
    That's a very big assumption you're making there Ross.

Are you that confident that Pompey will avoid the drop next year?
  • Options

Portsmouth are not there yet. 

They still have plenty to do to win promotion - a 7 point lead counts for little if they should stumble.

The only certainty in football is.... uncertainty 🙂

• Options
    I thought yesterday's game was decent entertainment wise. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    An important point but in the immortal words of Catherine Tate’s Nan “worra load of old shit”.  Barely an ounce of skill on show from either side. Lots of effort but this really is a piss poor league. Now seen Pompey, Derby and Bolton and don’t particularly rate any of them. Pompey were horrible.  We kept a clean sheet but were a hard watch.
    You are taking the piss.
    I actually agree to be fair! 

A great point but all three teams have not looked good at all! So frustrating that the SMT dicked about at the start of the season! Happy now we have NJ though! 

I honestly fancy us to get another draw Tuesday, even without Lloyd Jones.
  • Options
    edited February 25
    Kanu went through, pulled the trigger I was celebrating…turned around and they were on the attack. Argh…football!!!!! 
    Tennai Watson went down about 30 mins into the 1st half (I will not be surprised if he was told to), NJ called the whole team over, 1 minute of instruction later and NJ had nullified Pompey’s free man and advance. 
    Prior to that, our midfield 3 were shifting across the pitch to close out the Pompey FB’s advance, Pompey worked it out, played up one side (usually the left) waited for the shift and two rapid passes later Raffety was galloping into acres of space. Small was obviously tasked with nullifying Kamara (successfully). 
    Post instruction, our ball side wingback would engage the FB higher up the pitch, this changed the coverage the midfield 3 had to make, those position changes in the midfield slowed how Pompey could play into their FB’s and allowed the wingbacks time to get out and engage higher. It completely removed the space Rafferry / Ogilvie had to advance into. In fact I remember Raffery trying to hit a switch out wide to nobody because his options had gone!

1) The tactical understanding and awareness of the opposition that NJ has each game is very evident. 
    2) The adaptations in game aren’t off the cuff, plan a/b/c looks like it’s been planned and prepared on the training pitch. 
    3) We’re just scratching the surface under NJ. He is streets ahead of anyone we’ve had in the dug out since Curbs.
    4) We’re not going down!!
    A different scenario.......

Its football & players move around a bit. 

And Nathan Jones' side had not won anymore games than Fleming's sides did. And won less than Appleton & Holden's first 4 games in charge. 

2 sides to every story  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kanu went through, pulled the trigger I was celebrating…turned around and they were on the attack. Argh…football!!!!! 
    Tennai Watson went down about 30 mins into the 1st half (I will not be surprised if he was told to), NJ called the whole team over, 1 minute of instruction later and NJ had nullified Pompey’s free man and advance. 
    Prior to that, our midfield 3 were shifting across the pitch to close out the Pompey FB’s advance, Pompey worked it out, played up one side (usually the left) waited for the shift and two rapid passes later Raffety was galloping into acres of space. Small was obviously tasked with nullifying Kamara (successfully). 
    Post instruction, our ball side wingback would engage the FB higher up the pitch, this changed the coverage the midfield 3 had to make, those position changes in the midfield slowed how Pompey could play into their FB’s and allowed the wingbacks time to get out and engage higher. It completely removed the space Rafferry / Ogilvie had to advance into. In fact I remember Raffery trying to hit a switch out wide to nobody because his options had gone!

1) The tactical understanding and awareness of the opposition that NJ has each game is very evident. 
    2) The adaptations in game aren’t off the cuff, plan a/b/c looks like it’s been planned and prepared on the training pitch. 
    3) We’re just scratching the surface under NJ. He is streets ahead of anyone we’ve had in the dug out since Curbs.
    4) We’re not going down!!
    Sexy 👏
  • Options
    He certainly tried. But he missed him. 
  • Options
    Had he already been booked at that point?
  • Options
    Nothing much to add to what has already been said, but really enjoyed that game.
    Thud and blunder at times but immensely competitive and we were the equal of them, there's no denying that.
    You can see the shifting sands. To dwell on the fact we didn't win again is to miss the nuance.
    We are not going down. Or we are certainly not going to go down lamely as we would under Appleton.
    Anderson is born again hard, says me who thought he should be binned off to Whitstable Town or something a month ago.
    Lloyd Jones was magnificent, but obviously that comes with the caveat that his remit was bread and butter defending and not stroking the ball about around the back four.
    Shame we couldn't nick it and we couldn't get Chuks in the game, but they probably feel they should have nicked it too.
    Appropos of nothing, WTAF was going on with the 4th official?
    Normally I feel sorry for those guys as they stand by passively getting earache from both sides.
    This one desperately wanted to be the star of the show; constantly walking up to either manager and ostentatiously making his presence felt, approaching every player who came near his space for throw ins or drink breaks of whatever, seeming to have a desperate need to be involved.
    God forbid that guy ever gets to ref a game 

• Options
    Had he already been booked at that point?
    Yep
  • Options
    He had to take him out that late on in the game, sacrifice himself but luckily it was a lame swipe and superman swooped to save the day 
  • Options
    Firstly it's obvious Jones is trying to take him out the attacker just has too much pace. But actually I think in today's game you don't need to take the attacker out there. He's clearly expecting and waiting for contact which is why he never gets a shot away. He clearly has no confidence in his ability to finish off the chance
  • Options
    Is this the goal that keeps us up? At first I was jealous- why don't we get chances like this? then I realised -its a nail in Port vale's coffin  so should be grateful. 
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13080423/port-vale-0-2-lincoln-city-league-one-highlights
  • Options
    That was the Hull KR fella who scored that for Lincoln 
    we haven’t got any players who can kick the ball from that far out with accuracy