Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    edited February 24
    5 wins and 3 draws required for 52 points which has been enough for safety every season this century. Need to get that first win soon (doubt it will be Tuesday) but, looking at our fixtures, if we can keep up the improvement we’ve seen from the second half of the Lincoln match onwards I think we can get it done but it’s going down to the wire. We may need less than 52 which would obviously make the job easier. No point trying to second guess what will happen though. Just got to keep playing with commitment and hope we avoid injuries, suspensions, and crap refereeing decisions. This team is better than bottom 4 when it’s organised and committed, which it definitely was today. 
  • Options
    Thought we put an excellent shift in today and could have won.
    NT has greatly improved this team in three games and there is no way we will do down.
    I thought the referee was a complete wanker and was better suited to selling burgers outside the ground, he cost us today with his blind performance 👎👎
  • Options
    Got to stop sodding about with those silly short corners.
    Agree. Don’t know why Terry Taylor is out of the squad now that he’s fit as he looked to be the answer to our corner problem, albeit he hasn’t had many minutes since he joined. 
  • Options
    that one that got flagged for off side was particularly annoying 
  • Options
    Terry Taylor? Anybody know what's happened to him? Very strange. 
  • Options
    An important point but in the immortal words of Catherine Tate’s Nan “worra load of old shit”.  Barely an ounce of skill on show from either side. Lots of effort but this really is a piss poor league. Now seen Pompey, Derby and Bolton and don’t particularly rate any of them. Pompey were horrible.  We kept a clean sheet but were a hard watch.
    You are taking the piss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terry Taylor? Anybody know what's happened to him? Very strange. 
    He’s taking the ‘like a new signing’ thing a bit too literally by going missing without any explanation 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    An important point but in the immortal words of Catherine Tate’s Nan “worra load of old shit”.  Barely an ounce of skill on show from either side. Lots of effort but this really is a piss poor league. Now seen Pompey, Derby and Bolton and don’t particularly rate any of them. Pompey were horrible.  We kept a clean sheet but were a hard watch.
    You are taking the piss.
            Yes he is definitely taking the Piss or did not see todays game 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    You are taking the piss.
    I think there are some people who judge a game purely on the goals. If there are no goals they decide it must have been a bad game.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    that one that got flagged for off side was particularly annoying 
    I was livid with that!  So obvious on a short corner that the defence will always step up to prevent the corner taker getting the ball back
  • Options
    Delighted with the point, clean sheet and now two back to back results I was not expecting. Could do with Hec back if Jones is now suspended but otherwise chirpy and getting more confident about our chances of staying up.
  • Options
    I saw Mick Harford (Luton head of recruitment) on the train to the valley today… wonder if there’s anything in that…
  • Options
    Really pleased with the clean sheet. Cannot fault anyone desire or work ethic. Anderson & Kanu played out of their skin. 

If you are going to praise the defensive performance which I thought was excellent, you have to acknowledge how poor we were in the final 3rd of the pitch. Some of our crossing and final passes were very poor. 

Overall, extremely positive. Atmosphere was great and players gave everything. We should go to Derby on Tuesday with confidence of getting a positive result there.
  • Options
    edited February 24
    I recall our last relegation was on goal difference to Barnsley, who went on the run of all runs to stay up. Didn't they win about 6 out of 8 or something rediculous. To write off any teams at this stage is nonsense. Even those around us were miles behind 10 games ago. They could all equally be 10 points behind us or 10 points in front of us come season end.

Gotta be happy with a clean sheet against the league leaders but, it's coming to the stage where all that matter are wins. Having the worst run in English football tells a story of what a task NJ has to deal with.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Silly Jones. Glad Jones let that be known.
  • Options
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    This.

We can nick points here & there but at the end of the day we still havent won in 15 games.

2 draws gets you 2 points.
    1 win & 1 defeat gets you 3 points. 
    🤡
    But I'm not wrong. 

It's much better going WLWLWLWL than DDDDDDDD.

But feel free to take the Mickey & bask in the knowledge that if we dont win another match all season we will get relegated. Draws are no bloody good. 
  • Options
    edited February 24
    I’m trying to think of how our current form can track to safety. Purely illogical but illustrative example.

We draw every game (we are certainly more solid - just haven’t shown we can win). That’s 12 more points which is 46 and unlikely to be enough.

so to get to fifty we would need to win 2 games.

Haven’t won in 16 - but that’s two games that I will presume would be home ones as we have been pony away all year.

So as a starting point - what’s the two home games we can win?

And then - going on the presumption we will lose some of those illustrative draw - what’s the away game we can win?

Issue is that any scenario needs multiple wins. It feels like we solidify but stop playing any kind of expansive football. We try and play football and then look weak as piss at the back again.

I just can’t see what our way out is. 
      You could well be right. I hope not but there is every possibility. We may already be well into our new manager bounce. We love a slump, and if we have one it will likely be curtains.
     Creativity is a huge issue. I would have bought Campbell on earlier and left May chasing for 10-15mins more today before bringing Chuks on. It was risky bringing him on when he did, especially when the formation didn't really change. Campbell at least offers a bit of threat in wide areas.
    We may well live to rue letting CBT and, believe it or not Fraser to walk out the door.
    How did we ever get here? Poor poor and quite frankly delusional SMT decisions is why. That really shouldn't be forgotten when the bones of this sorry show get picked over.
    Jones will have done a phenomenal job if he manages to steer this lot to safety. One of the best ever in fact.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    We need to cut out the stupid bookings. Bakinson's for kicking the ball away was braindead, ditto Jones' for dissent, when you're 1 booking away from a 2 match ban.

Good news if Hector is ready to return. I can see Gillesphey playing on Tuesday as he was very good when he came on, with either Hector or Ness on the bench.
  • Options
    The tackle Gillesphey did was great and hopefully a big boost for him as he's been a bit part player since signing 
  • Options
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    This.

We can nick points here & there but at the end of the day we still havent won in 15 games.

🤡
    But I'm not wrong. 

But feel free to take the Mickey & bask in the knowledge that if we dont win another match all season we will get relegated. Draws are no bloody good. 
    Chill Golfie...everything's relevant that you say, of course it is, but a draw away at Bolton and home to Portsmouth are good results in the grand scheme of things, and we could have won them both..doesn't that show an improvement over previous displays.
    If we go to Derby and get another point, great, then we have some six pointers coming up, and some more winnable opponents, which we will get the wins you and the rest of us want...just take it one game at a time...ok🍺
  • Options
    The game plan is obvious (and credit to the Manager for understanding what's needed).....stay in the game until Chuks and Camara come on to nick it.

Fly in the ointment today, was Aneke possibly touched the ball 3 times and I'm not even sure Camara touched it at all? 

Ps...well done to Gillesphey for the recovery tackle....probably the best bit of a poor watch. 
  • Options
    This.

🤡
    But I'm not wrong. 

I didn’t know you were good at maffs Golfie. So what youse is sayin is that 1+1 =2 and 3+0=3.
    But I fink you forgot to take the degree of difficulty into consideration.
    Youse also forgot that if the bottom four don’t win either then we won’t.
    Sometimes I fink you fink we don’t no nofink.