Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    A thought on the ref. He didn't make any glaring errors but I felt his decisions lacked consistency.
    Apart from the pen for handball he didn't award us, and ended up booking Jones and leaving him with a 2 match ban...even Brownie, Curbs and Scott all thought was a clear penalty...🤷‍♂️
    I wouldn't say it was a clear pen but it is one you could make a case for. Some refs would have given it but most wouldn't.
    On playback I would say it was clear. And whats more, I don’t know why in the studio they excused the ref for being unsighted ( assistant certainly was) as he was two yards away and would have seen the defender’s right arm swinging forwards. And Jones was right in front of the defender. I fucking hate these refs who brandish cards for the slightest hint of dissent. We miss Jones for two games, whereas instead we could have 3 precious points and Jones available for Tuesday. At the very least refs should be asked to make public what exactly the dissent was, bad language and all. We might just be more understanding then, when we read what was said. Although I think there would be a lot less such cards in the first place.

Otherwise that performance was something to lift the spirits. Just loved Anderson and Kanu’s effort, especially down by the corner flag when in the first half when they combined to get us a corner that really wasnt on the cards. 
    The problem is whether the defender's arms were in a unnatural position. A few seasons ago that would have been a pen but I think the proximity and the position of his arms probably let him off with the current interpretations. Having said that, as we know, some refs interpret the laws differently.
    Don’t think so. His arm was away from his body and moving towards the ball. Clear pen for me. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Got to stop sodding about with those silly short corners.
    Yes. Jones has already cut out the stupid  playing around at the back and he has made them throw the ball forward at throw ins. Just cut out the bullshit corners and we will be even more effective.
    Didn’t we score from a bullshit corner last week? 
    It’s fine to do the occasional short one, just to mix it up a bit I reckon. 
  • Options
    Bankinson

Barkinson. 

😂
  • Options
    We took a point off the league leaders. Build on it.

Some folks were telling us we’d get zero points from Bolton, Portsmouth and Derby, so we’re above their expectations. We have navigated two now with one still to play and those same people will tell you it’s not been good enough.

After Derby in midweek we have the easiest (by average league position) run in of any team in the bottom 8-10 teams.

Keep playing at the level that we have against Bolton and Pompey and we will win enough of those games to stay up.
    Some folks also said to give Appleton more time and that we’re not in a relegation battle 👀 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I dont think we will win to many games with Bankinson Anderson and Dobbo as our midfield.
    Probably not but it’ll be horses for courses for the remaining fixtures depending on the opposition and gaps between games. Those three today were there to do a specific job and played their part in a hard earned, well deserved point.

Yes, I think Bakinson can do a job in certain games. He reminds me a bit of Pratley. He will battle, tackle and run but his passing is pretty poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Jones has put an emphasis on us competing which we are definitely seeing. It is probably better to get that aspect right first rather than the technical side because it is what you need to do at this level as a minimum against the top and the bottom sides. The difference is if you do that against the bottom sides you will win quite a few. It is what has been killing us with players like Fraser, and others, farting about and when you compete as hard as your opponents then you can fine tune the other aspects.
    Appleton recognised and spoke about our lack of competitiveness and running off the ball.  The difference being he couldn't change it up.  Jones seems to have bought in some much needed inspiration - long may it continue. 
  • Options
    Some good action photos here on the Pompey site (albeit from their perspective).

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2024/february/gallery-charlton-0-pompey-0/
  • Options
    edited February 25
    The pressure to win a game continues to ramp up despite going 3 unbeaten and looking more competitive under NJ. Fearing relegation is still where I'm at based on results and the table. I ask myself if we'll have what it takes to see out games from winning positions, which we must, and until we do, the doubts will remain.
  • Options
    I dont think we will win to many games with Bankinson Anderson and Dobbo as our midfield.
    But we do have the option to alter that from the bench, we didn't have that before or rather it was an option of play Louie Watson or not. 
  • Options
    edited February 25
  • Options
    Great second half atmosphere, enjoyable hard fought game 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw Mick Harford (Luton head of recruitment) on the train to the valley today… wonder if there’s anything in that…
    I doubt it with anything concrete to us.   Otherwise I'd think he'd be with us before.
    Salary and entrenched with Luton suggests nothing doing with us.
    Maybe this is why Anderson and Kanu had such great games.

Doesn’t his ’head of recruitment’ title suggest so?
  • Options
    Note on this. We have only scored from ONE corner this season and it was last week from a short corner. I’ve no issue with them, we just need to be better at them than the embarrassment that was today’s offside howler.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Note on this. We have only scored from ONE corner this season and it was last week from a short corner. I’ve no issue with them, we just need to be better at them than the embarrassment that was today’s offside howler.
    Unless the Linesman noticed the smallest of movements when May stopped the ball, but saw a comment on Twitter suggesting that it was the wrong call from the Lino.

If the ball didnt go forwards when May touched it, Small wasn't offside?
  • Options
    It’s always seemed to me that fans see a corner straight into the box as having a greater chance of scoring but then so often it actually favours the defence. Do the same fans wish we just banged it into the box in a similarly hopeful fashion in normal play? I believe that short corners ultimately lead to more goals. Here’s a link that can explain it better than I could:

https://themastermindsite.com/2022/11/01/the-case-for-short-corners/
    I thought I had read once that, statistically, relatively few goals actually yield from corners. Everyone gets excited when your team is awarded one, but the chance of actually scoring is fairly slim. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    It’s always seemed to me that fans see a corner straight into the box as having a greater chance of scoring but then so often it actually favours the defence. Do the same fans wish we just banged it into the box in a similarly hopeful fashion in normal play? I believe that short corners ultimately lead to more goals. Here’s a link that can explain it better than I could:

https://themastermindsite.com/2022/11/01/the-case-for-short-corners/
    I thought I had read once that, statistically, relatively few goals actually yield from corners. Everyone gets excited when your team is awarded one, but the chance of actually scoring is fairly slim. 
    I think it’s mainly the excitement in the build up play to the corner that gets people going, then your brought back down to earth when the corner is played!