Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    edited February 26
    Enjoyed the game. On clear cut chances we deserved to win. Just missing a bit of luck. 

Jones was excellent. Was probably just having a wobble and doesn't really need Hector telling him what to do.

Bakinson is a surprisingly poor footballer, although I do like his physicality and the way he gets up and down the pitch. 

Jones says he wants us to increase the amount of balls we get into the box, but feel like we lack presence there with May & Kanu. It would need a terrific delivery, something we also don't have. 

Jones has made us difficult to play against which is a great base to build on. It's just a shame the defense that gets the first clean sheet in ages can't continue to the next game. 
  • Options
    Is this the goal that keeps us up? At first I was jealous- why don't we get chances like this? then I realised -its a nail in Port vale's coffin  so should be grateful. 
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13080423/port-vale-0-2-lincoln-city-league-one-highlights
    That's a refereeing howler tbf, no way that's even close to ten yards
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Is this the goal that keeps us up? At first I was jealous- why don't we get chances like this? then I realised -its a nail in Port vale's coffin  so should be grateful. 
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13080423/port-vale-0-2-lincoln-city-league-one-highlights
    And never a pen.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    Chunes said:
    Enjoyed the game. On clear cut chances we deserved to win. Just missing a bit of luck. 

Jones was excellent. Was probably just having a wobble and doesn't really need Hector telling him what to do.

Bakinson is a surprisingly poor footballer, although I do like his physicality and the way he gets up and down the pitch. 

Jones says he wants us to increase the amount of balls we get into the box, but feel like we lack presence there with May & Kanu. It would need a terrific delivery, something we also don't have. 

Jones has made us difficult to play against which is a great base to build on. It's just a shame the defense that gets the first clean sheet in ages can't continue to the next game. 
    Blaming Hector for his bad form is another level.
    He made a couple of howlers yesterday, but got away with them. Were they also Hector's fault?
  • Options
    edited February 26
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    And never a pen.

...Who cares, they lost, and that's all that matters...ain't it...🤷‍🙄
  • Options
    edited February 26
    Kanu went through, pulled the trigger I was celebrating…turned around and they were on the attack. Argh…football!!!!! 
    Tennai Watson went down about 30 mins into the 1st half (I will not be surprised if he was told to), NJ called the whole team over, 1 minute of instruction later and NJ had nullified Pompey’s free man and advance. 
    Prior to that, our midfield 3 were shifting across the pitch to close out the Pompey FB’s advance, Pompey worked it out, played up one side (usually the left) waited for the shift and two rapid passes later Raffety was galloping into acres of space. Small was obviously tasked with nullifying Kamara (successfully). 
    Post instruction, our ball side wingback would engage the FB higher up the pitch, this changed the coverage the midfield 3 had to make, those position changes in the midfield slowed how Pompey could play into their FB’s and allowed the wingbacks time to get out and engage higher. It completely removed the space Rafferry / Ogilvie had to advance into. In fact I remember Raffery trying to hit a switch out wide to nobody because his options had gone!

1) The tactical understanding and awareness of the opposition that NJ has each game is very evident. 
    2) The adaptations in game aren’t off the cuff, plan a/b/c looks like it’s been planned and prepared on the training pitch. 
    3) We’re just scratching the surface under NJ. He is streets ahead of anyone we’ve had in the dug out since Curbs.
    4) We’re not going down!!
    A different scenario.......

Its football & players move around a bit. 

And Nathan Jones' side had not won anymore games than Fleming's sides did. And won less than Appleton & Holden's first 4 games in charge. 

2 sides to every story  
    But only ever one side to your stories.
    Boo.

The vast majority of fans can see a decent improvement and are therefore logically, but cautiously optimistic. 

The main negative at the moment dragging the fan base down is your comments.
    Your endless misery is thoroughly draining me.
    I know I should just stop reading your posts, but .......
    There's only 1 side to my story because we've not won in 3 months. 

I'll be happy to eat humble pie when we beat Derby and/or Northampton. Coming into a 6 pointer against Cheltenham with less than another 3 points on the board could be the nail in the coffin, because by then it could be 1 win in 18 & 1 away win all season. 

Love to be proved wrong & praying with all my heart we dont get relegated. But until we actually start winning games nothing has changed.
  • Options
    On stats alone you have to agree with Golfie but as always the devil is in the detail. We haven't been beaten in three, early December was the last time that happened. Where Golfie is spot on is we must win games, although there are a few on here who believe we didn't create enough on Saturday, no credit given to Portsmouth's defending though. Port vale are at home to Fleetwood tomorrow, even with Port Vale's wretched form, this is a game that they must win. Cheltenham are at Wycombe and form wise could provide a shock result, something Wycombe would be keen to avoid lest they start to look over their shoulders. We definitely need to win and get that monkey off our back, but so do the other teams around us and I still think Shrewsbury and Reading will be drawn into the mix.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 26
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

He made a couple of howlers yesterday, but got away with them. Were they also Hector's fault?
    I think you've misread that part, although it could be clearer. Some were saying Jones mistakes were because he didn't have Hector alongside him any more. I'm saying he doesn't actually need Hector to play well, he was just having a wobble.
  • Options
    Really amusing to see the keeper giving pelters to his defender for taking a crazy free kick that went straight to one of the Lincoln forwards only to see him doing something similar later on! 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Got to stop sodding about with those silly short corners.
    Note on this. We have only scored from ONE corner this season and it was last week from a short corner. I’ve no issue with them, we just need to be better at them than the embarrassment that was today’s offside howler.
    Unless the Linesman noticed the smallest of movements when May stopped the ball, but saw a comment on Twitter suggesting that it was the wrong call from the Lino.

If the ball didnt go forwards when May touched it, Small wasn't offside?
    The offside law doesn't mention the direction of the ball, it just has to be played (or touched).  It's quite rare to be offside from a ball not played forward but this was a perfect example of it.

Similar misunderstandings occur when occasions players are flagged offside in their own half (rare but also possible).
    Is this the American soccer version ? You cannot be offside in your own half, if you have run back from the opponents half when the ball is kicked the offence took place in the opponents half but the free kick would be taken where he actually received the ball. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Don't have to be 10 yards for a quick FK do you?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Ah ha.....my old chestnut. 

Why is it allowed for the opposition to form a wall when the FK is 20/25 yards from goal but not elsewhere. If you fouled a player on the half way line would you be given time to form a wall  ?? If not why not ?  Is their anything in the laws of the game that says when or where you can take "time out" to form a wall. I know teams sometimes take a quick free kick when close to the penalty area but not often. No idea of the stats but I reckon it must be 95%+ that a wall is formed when a free kick is 30 yards from goal, but in the centre circle....probably 0%. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Got to stop sodding about with those silly short corners.
    Note on this. We have only scored from ONE corner this season and it was last week from a short corner. I’ve no issue with them, we just need to be better at them than the embarrassment that was today’s offside howler.
    Unless the Linesman noticed the smallest of movements when May stopped the ball, but saw a comment on Twitter suggesting that it was the wrong call from the Lino.

If the ball didnt go forwards when May touched it, Small wasn't offside?
    The offside law doesn't mention the direction of the ball, it just has to be played (or touched).  It's quite rare to be offside from a ball not played forward but this was a perfect example of it.

Similar misunderstandings occur when occasions players are flagged offside in their own half (rare but also possible).
    Is this the American soccer version ? You cannot be offside in your own half, if you have run back from the opponents half when the ball is kicked the offence took place in the opponents half but the free kick would be taken where he actually received the ball. 
    Another one.

Bloke next to me was doing my nut in first half shouting out  "offside lino !" everytime their keeper took a goal kick & Bishop was 5 yards ahead of our defenders.

After the 3rd or 4th time I politely told him that you can't be offside from a goal kick. 

That's why I try not to get too bothered with the crowd baying for blood when a decision seemingly goes against us because half of them dont know the laws of the game.
  • Options
    .Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

I think you've misread that part, although it could be clearer. Some were saying Jones mistakes were because he didn't have Hector alongside him any more. I'm saying he doesn't actually need Hector to play well, he was just having a wobble.
    Ah, I see what you mean. 👍
    Jones is 9/10 aerially, but 6 or 7/10 on the ground for me. Most teams lump it at this level, even Pompey on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:

Agree, but we have seen players booked for infringement in that scenario, ref should have had it retaken...but it was Port Vale, so where's the problem!!
  • Options
    It’s been mentioned by someone further up the thread but I thought the general standard of our defensive clearances on Saturday was very iffy. Not all of course but far too many were scuffed and caused us as much problem as the original ball. I don’t think anyone was blameless in this. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And Nathan Jones' side had not won anymore games than Fleming's sides did. And won less than Appleton & Holden's first 4 games in charge. 

2 sides to every story  
    But at least the team is showing much more fight and enthusiasm than under the Albatross that was Appleton.
    Hopefully a win shortly will make you change your tune!
  • Options

2 sides to every story  
    But at least the team is showing much more fight and enthusiasm than under the Albatross that was Appleton.
    Hopefully a win shortly will make you change your tune!
    Unfortunately he's been playing the same tune more or less all the time I've been on this site.  :D
  • Options
    As per the Bolton game another performance to be happy with. No one had a bad game and they are playing as a team now not a bunch of individuals 

12 more games to continue that standard that has now been on show in the last 2 games 
  • Options
    Special mention to the guy sitting a couple of rows behind me. Spent most of the game shouting instructions to our players. He reminded me of one of those annoying parents at a kids game. Halfway through the second half he seemed to quieten down, then got up to go to the loo, only to re-emerge a couple of minutes later, sniffing (he must've caught a bug) and then proceeded with his vocal tirade until the final whistle. Amazing how much better he was after his tinkle.  :)
    Aah - you got me Tangoflash, A Curbs stand near the front?
     Think I’d better ‘fess up’ and apologise to everyone within shouting distance !
    Around 10 years ago I was diagnosed with a brain tumour- benign thankfully, it was an alarming 16 x 12mm when scanned.

I used to be the most laidback/calm guy around, still am in most environments. Just watching our boy’s & whilst driving I morph into ‘Mr Hyde’! 
    Once relaxed I do appreciate the futility of shouting out instructions to our team!  
    Once again,  apologies to anyone affected. 
    PS. Next season we shall be moving further up the stand.
  • Options
    clive said:
    “highlights“ is stretching it a bit.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Draw was a fair result, thought they were going to nick it in the dying seconds when from being in their corner in the 96th minute we offered a ridiculous cross into their box which they ran up the other end and almost scored with the last kick of the match. Isted makes me feel a lot more comfortable than Brewer ever did.
    This. Thomas' cross into the West stand when the Pompey area was loaded with our players nearly cost us big time.

From that throw, Pompey worked the ball down our end and got a final throw which they threw in long. After a scramble the ball dropped to one of their players and as his foot drew back i thought **** this is in. So relieved when it flew past the post.

If we had conceded that was down to Thomas.

Anyway, we didn't so maybe NJ has brought a change of luck with him as well.
    You are using the word “cross” extremely loosely there!
    it went laterally from outside the box into, sorry, miles over the box, so technically, yes, it was a cross.
  • Options

Draw was a fair result, thought they were going to nick it in the dying seconds when from being in their corner in the 96th minute we offered a ridiculous cross into their box which they ran up the other end and almost scored with the last kick of the match. Isted makes me feel a lot more comfortable than Brewer ever did.
    This. Thomas' cross into the West stand when the Pompey area was loaded with our players nearly cost us big time.

From that throw, Pompey worked the ball down our end and got a final throw which they threw in long. After a scramble the ball dropped to one of their players and as his foot drew back i thought **** this is in. So relieved when it flew past the post.

If we had conceded that was down to Thomas.

Anyway, we didn't so maybe NJ has brought a change of luck with him as well.
     I'm not having that argument that Thomas with a cross up one end, nearly cost us at the other end. It went out of play AND we should have been prepared for a counter attack either way. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    “highlights“ is stretching it a bit.

Still "highlights", however low you may think they are...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    We took a point off the league leaders. Build on it.

Some folks were telling us we’d get zero points from Bolton, Portsmouth and Derby, so we’re above their expectations. We have navigated two now with one still to play and those same people will tell you it’s not been good enough.

After Derby in midweek we have the easiest (by average league position) run in of any team in the bottom 8-10 teams.

Keep playing at the level that we have against Bolton and Pompey and we will win enough of those games to stay up.
    Some folks also said to give Appleton more time and that we’re not in a relegation battle 👀 
    Point taken but a major reason for that: for a long time I didn’t think that we’d attract anyone that could do any better, my honest opinion at the time was we were probably looking at the Cowley brothers coming in, at best. 

Swapping one bang average third tier manager for another didn’t appeal to me. By the time he was let go it had become clear there was no coming back and anyone with a bit of experience, Cowleys and all, would’ve been a better choice. 

Some will insist that the board waited too long but I’ll take the positives and say it’s a clear sign that they’re not here to hire and fire at the first signs of adversity.

Again, on top of all that, when he was sacked I still didn’t think we’d get near Michael Duff, let alone Nathan Jones. We were getting turned down by League 2 and Indian Premier League managers ffs.
    Agree with you on this one.