Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    edited February 24
    Great performance and good atmosphere, too.

Kanu and Anderson doing our academy proud currently. Karoy especially was outstanding today. Jones also excellent. 

I just wish we were a little more skilled at the ‘dark arts’. Barkinson should’ve been right in the ref’s face when he let a Pompey player get away with punching the ball away just minutes after Barkinson was booked for kicking the ball away (all of 5 yards). 

Imagine Yann, Pratley, Taylor, Pearce, etc. in that situation? We’re really lacking this right now and I hope Jones adds this part of the game to the team. 

The level of refereeing at this level is typically so bad that the ‘dark arts’ are IMHO essential to get out of this league. 
  • Options
    I saw Mick Harford (Luton head of recruitment) on the train to the valley today… wonder if there’s anything in that…
    I doubt it with anything concrete to us.   Otherwise I'd think he'd be with us before.
    Salary and entrenched with Luton suggests nothing doing with us.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    The game plan is obvious (and credit to the Manager for understanding what's needed).....stay in the game until Chuks and Camara come on to nick it.

Fly in the ointment today, was Aneke possibly touched the ball 3 times and I'm not even sure Camara touched it at all? 

Ps...well done to Gillesphey for the recovery tackle....probably the best bit of a poor watch. 
    Opta reckons Aneke had 9 touches and Camara 2.
  • Options
    Only watched on Charlton TV, but surprised REG didn't get higher marks on that thread. Thought he was a rock at the back. Not taking anything from Jones, but seemed like most of the crucial interventions, Gillesphey's aside (and glad their man didn't go down then or Jones would've been off) came from REG, and he offered a bit going forwards as well. 

But trying to work out how much of this improved defence to put down to Isted l. He seems far more in control than AMB. 
  • Options
    From the player marks thread:
    Leuth said:
    GILLESPHEY: n/a arise, the white Naby. not just that tackle but he hit the West Stand roof with a clearance. I sing a song of Macca
    When I was a kid we called that "doing a Les Berry", although admittedly it was a lot easier clearing over the top of the old West Stand back then.  The only player I remember doing it more recently was Paul Konchesky, who managed to clear the ball out over the top of the East Stand, and we could hear the ball bouncing down the roof. Can't remember which game it was though.
  • Options
    Didn’t go and have enjoyed catching up with all the posts.  6 weeks ago this would’ve been a defeat.  2 pts against Bolton and Pompey is a decent return, if we can come away from Derby with a point or better that would be ideal.  Got to make the games after Derby count.  None of them will be easy, but sounds like Jones has lit the fire and we just need to get to safety
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    From the player marks thread:
    Leuth said:
    GILLESPHEY: n/a arise, the white Naby. not just that tackle but he hit the West Stand roof with a clearance. I sing a song of Macca
    When I was a kid we called that "doing a Les Berry", although admittedly it was a lot easier clearing over the top of the old West Stand back then.  The only player I remember doing it more recently was Paul Konchesky, who managed to clear the ball out over the top of the East Stand, and we could hear the ball bouncing down the roof. Can't remember which game it was though.
    And Ali, before Les Berry it was known as a John Hewie 😉.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    The game plan is obvious (and credit to the Manager for understanding what's needed).....stay in the game until Chuks and Camara come on to nick it.

Fly in the ointment today, was Aneke possibly touched the ball 3 times and I'm not even sure Camara touched it at all? 

Ps...well done to Gillesphey for the recovery tackle....probably the best bit of a poor watch. 
    Fair enough. I think one of Camara's touches was picking the ball up and giving it to REG to take a throw.

• Options
    Simonsen said:

What about his xg stats?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont think we will win to many games with Bankinson Anderson and Dobbo as our midfield.
    Probably not but it’ll be horses for courses for the remaining fixtures depending on the opposition and gaps between games. Those three today were there to do a specific job and played their part in a hard earned, well deserved point.

• Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    I just wish we were a little more skilled at the ‘dark arts’. Barkinson should’ve been right in the ref’s face when he let a Pompey player get away with punching the ball away just minutes after Barkinson was booked for kicking the ball away (all of 5 yards).
    Knowing our luck though, if he'd done that the ref would've given him a second yellow for dissent.
  • Options
    A thought on the ref. He didn't make any glaring errors but I felt his decisions lacked consistency.
    Apart from the pen for handball he didn't award us, and ended up booking Jones and leaving him with a 2 match ban...even Brownie, Curbs and Scott all thought was a clear penalty...🤷‍♂️
    Truly Madley poor referee
    Savage, G. …Truly Madly Deeply
  • Options
    Brilliant result today!!!

Just listened to Nathan Jones interview, I have to admit he seems to be having a positive effect on us fans, his man management of the squad I believe is slowly beginning to takes hold!
    He is no doubt getting his message across the training ground, which he being transmitted on the pitch on match days.

Lets keep right behind NJ and the team. Clearly the best manager since the Bowyer days and I sincerely hope he can keep driving this team, which does have real potential. I believe the good times are just around the corner👍

The praise he is giving to Anderson, Kanu, Campbell and Jones along with the new RWB's could be the nucleus of a very good side, similar to some of the good young Palarse sides over the years, so please NJ & the Team keep us up!
  • Options
    Everybody put in a big shift, and it’s ages since we have been able to say that. 
    PLUS, our record against Pompey is intact and we won’t be playing them again for a good few years. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Silly Jones. Glad Jones let that be known.
    Let what be known? . He got the card for “dissent”. We already knew that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else think Dobson looked a bit sluggish today? Noticed a few times he was done for pace or a bit far off his man. Don’t think he’s been near his best last couple of games. 
    Totally agree. He was poor. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Silly Jones. Glad Jones let that be known.
    Let what be known? . He got the card for “dissent”. We already knew that. 
    That he was silly  😜 
  • Options
    Good manager=better team=better atmosphere from the fans.

Rinse and repeat on warm cycle
  • Options
    Anyone else think Dobson looked a bit sluggish today? Noticed a few times he was done for pace or a bit far off his man. Don’t think he’s been near his best last couple of games. 
    Yep. Sluggish is a good word. Might be carrying a virus though. You never here things like “George Dobson misses out because he’s got a bit of a cold.” Bakinson was “ill” but he was more expendable. 
    I’d say Alfie was off the pace too but that’s down to lack of sleep due to his newborn.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

What about his xg stats?
    You’re onto me today aren’t you?
  • Options
    Good performance again, following on from Bolton. I can't understand those on here complaining "but it's only a point"! Those same people, I bet, were saying just a few days ago how we were going to pick up zero points from Bolton, Pompey and Derby and how we were going to get slaughtered! We haven't been, there's a marked improvement in how we play and Jones has only had 3 games! Please, for once, can you just be positive that Jones has stopped the rot and is getting the side playing his way! We are slowly building and as long as we stay up that's all that matters. Players who were bereft of confidence are getting it back, take L. Jones as an example, he was excellent today. If we can get a point from Derby on Tuesday that'll be 3 points hardly anyone thought we would get. So let's, for once, enjoy the clean sheet and an unexpected point!
    Well said Sir
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Completely ridiculous that a team that’s capable of getting a point and a clean sheet against the league leaders has gotten so few points a clean sheets the rest of the season.

When this season is over, and we stay up, we need to conduct some sort of investigation into what on earth has gone on and make sure it never happens again. 
    Simple,trying to get useless managers on the cheap- now in Nathan we trust
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

What about his xg stats?
     <3
    Belinda Carlisle mate. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

What about his xg stats?
     <3
    Belinda Carlisle mate. 
    Circle in the sand?