Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    This.

We can nick points here & there but at the end of the day we still havent won in 15 games.

2 draws gets you 2 points.
    1 win & 1 defeat gets you 3 points. 
    I think that it's 16 league games without a win, 5 in December, 6 in January and another 5 in February. The longest winless run of any team in the division this season.
    It's the longest winless run in the whole EFL. 
  • Options
    edited February 24
    Why do posters speculate what would have happened under Appleton? Do they think there are posters that think he should have stayed, because I don't know of any? He left six games ago. Blame him for what he achieved and everything else that happens this season if you like, regardless of what division we end up in, because I want Jones to get a free pass from the fans as we need managerial stability, and he seems competent despite having no wins to his name as yet. It won't stay that way. It's coming!
  • Options
    We're now top of the division! For draws. The dreaded 'draw experts' 
  • Options
    One that got away, felt Pompey were very average and bit of composure in front of goal and we'd have won it. Still we were very good value for a point and all of us would have taken that before the game.

Longer term I am a bit concerned about the style of play in that there doesn't seem to be any, it just seems to be go as direct as possible. We seem to be grinding these out through high work rate and while they are good points against the top sides I'm just a bit concerned if the players get worn out or a few injuries appear and we can't just rely on grinding out the wins we need.
  • Options
    Good performance again, following on from Bolton. I can't understand those on here complaining "but it's only a point"! Those same people, I bet, were saying just a few days ago how we were going to pick up zero points from Bolton, Pompey and Derby and how we were going to get slaughtered! We haven't been, there's a marked improvement in how we play and Jones has only had 3 games! Please, for once, can you just be positive that Jones has stopped the rot and is getting the side playing his way! We are slowly building and as long as we stay up that's all that matters. Players who were bereft of confidence are getting it back, take L. Jones as an example, he was excellent today. If we can get a point from Derby on Tuesday that'll be 3 points hardly anyone thought we would get. So let's, for once, enjoy the clean sheet and an unexpected point!
    I don't think that is out of the question if we play with he same sort of effort as in the last 2 games and we are not too ham-strung with injuries and suspensions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    another good battling performance and point from the league leaders, only surprise was atmosphere wise we were  quiet considering who we were playing and what’s at stake. 
  • Options
    Thought Anderson was brilliant for where he’s at in his career. Jones won everything . Superb performance. Great to be there for that. Pompey will be glad about the draw.
  • Options
    Bring on Derby...
    There is a new found confidence and belief within the team, we will be fine come the end of April, great performance one and all, with an extra call out for Jones and Kanu...👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    Cheerie Fecker aint yer !
    But he's not wrong. Those two short corners we took were criminal.
    I think that was the only noticeable difference between the two sides Large. Pompey's delivery into the the box from set plays was light years away from the amateurish efforts that we put in. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Haha @Gribbo on Charltontv
    Really? 
    What did he say?
    He’s looking out of it
  • Options
    PWR
    I'm pleased we managed a draw against the league leaders but I am a bit confused about one thing. Maybe someone could explain it. Would we have got more points if we had won?
  • Options

So as a starting point - what’s the two home games we can win?

Shrewsbury and Wigan are both eminently winnable based on current form/performances. 
  • Options
    A thought on the ref. He didn't make any glaring errors but I felt his decisions lacked consistency.
  • Options
    edited February 24
    A thought on the ref. He didn't make any glaring errors but I felt his decisions lacked consistency.
    Apart from the pen for handball he didn't award us, and ended up booking Jones and leaving him with a 2 match ban...even Brownie, Curbs and Scott all thought was a clear penalty...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    I’m actually wondering if we can get away with just winning our 3 home games v Carlisle, Wigan and Shrewsbury. But we have to go more expansive and take some chances with player selection and tactics.

And then take a solid-first approach away. Which I actually can imagine would be enough to get a win and plenty of draws.

That could be enough?
  • Options
    edited February 24
    I'm pleased with this... To get a clean sheet is massive progress.

Yes we might still go down..... But its in our own hands. Burton, Reading Cambridge and Vale all lost... Nobody is running out of the zone yet.

Onto Derby but wondering if Tennai is crocked who slips into right back?

Derby lost today which hopefully makes them jittery on Tuesday and no Cbt likely to play either. 
    But Reading lost to Shrewsbury who are our nearest rivals.