Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    edited February 24
    A thought on the ref. He didn't make any glaring errors but I felt his decisions lacked consistency.
    Apart from the pen for handball he didn't award us, and ended up booking Jones and leaving him with a 2 match ban...even Brownie, Curbs and Scott all thought was a clear penalty...🤷‍♂️
    I wouldn't say it was a clear pen but it is one you could make a case for. Some refs would have given it but most wouldn't.
  • Options
    Still a bit iffy in defence at times but a generally positive performance.
  • Options
    The game looked like a top 6 game not top vs nearly bottom. However Pompey, apart from a couple of good chances, never really got going so hard to judge. A point is good but we should have taken all 3 based on Pompey's  performance.

Clean sheet is progress and so happy we have the atmosphere back at the Valley that was so lacking during Apples tenure.

Onwards and upwards....
  • Options
    Deserved point, Portsmouth I thought were really average. When we play like this we are no worse than the rest of the league. Need a win now though 
  • Options
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    This.

We can nick points here & there but at the end of the day we still havent won in 15 games.

2 draws gets you 2 points.
    1 win & 1 defeat gets you 3 points. 
    So which one were you expecting us to win against, Bolton or Pompey ?
  • Options
    Well done boys! 
    Keeper excellent ! 
  • Options
    If we weren’t in the position we are it would be a great result - it still is just wish we’d nicked one.

There is an unbelievable player there in Jones he just needs confidence and he’s gaining it under NJ
    He’s brilliant in the air, and as dominant as Innis, ideal for games like today’s. Just wish we could get more out of him in attacking positions. 
  • Options
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    This.

We can nick points here & there but at the end of the day we still havent won in 15 games.

🤡
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very much improved defensive display but we really do lack adventurous midfield players. 

Still think we would be better playing a different system.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    This.

Thank you Rachel Riley.

Did she make a contribution? Wow. Excellent work from our marketing team.
  • Options
    Would have liked to have seen Ladapo on for Kanu at the end. 

Thomas is such a weird player, does some good things but his clearances are so erratic 
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:
    Bailey said:
    Cheerie Fecker aint yer !
    I watched a piss poor game of football I'm not going to sugar coat it because we got a point off the league leaders when we are so precariously placed above the relegation places playing a shit formation that creates no chances for our forwards.
    We did create chances though. Just like we did last week
    Kanu hit the post
    may hit it over from 5 yards
    anderson in a good position to score but poor option
    Either Watson or REG hit one straight at the keeper.

we created chances again today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 24
    A thought on the ref. He didn't make any glaring errors but I felt his decisions lacked consistency.
    Apart from the pen for handball he didn't award us, and ended up booking Jones and leaving him with a 2 match ban...even Brownie, Curbs and Scott all thought was a clear penalty...🤷‍♂️
    I wouldn't say it was a clear pen but it is one you could make a case for. Some refs would have given it but most wouldn't.
    On playback I would say it was clear. And whats more, I don’t know why in the studio they excused the ref for being unsighted ( assistant certainly was) as he was two yards away and would have seen the defender’s right arm swinging forwards. And Jones was right in front of the defender. I fucking hate these refs who brandish cards for the slightest hint of dissent. We miss Jones for two games, whereas instead we could have 3 precious points and Jones available for Tuesday. At the very least refs should be asked to make public what exactly the dissent was, bad language and all. We might just be more understanding then, when we read what was said. Although I think there would be a lot less such cards in the first place.

Otherwise that performance was something to lift the spirits. Just loved Anderson and Kanu’s effort, especially down by the corner flag when in the first half when they combined to get us a corner that really wasnt on the cards. 
    The problem is whether the defender's arms were in a unnatural position. A few seasons ago that would have been a pen but I think the proximity and the position of his arms probably let him off with the current interpretations. Having said that, as we know, some refs interpret the laws differently.
  • Options
    I’ll take that, all day long, enough said…
  • Options

Unlike the scum up the road who receive an instant new manager bounce.

Two scums even!
  • Options
    Getting a clean sheet was the best of many things today. We have played well in many of the games during this long winless run and also scored lots of goals, but comedy defending and folding under pressure has cost us. We did neither today (nor against Bolton).
    If Jones has managed to tighten our defence we will sail through the remaining fixtures and finish mid table.

• Options
    Got to stop sodding about with those silly short corners.
    Yes. Jones has already cut out the stupid  playing around at the back and he has made them throw the ball forward at throw ins. Just cut out the bullshit corners and we will be even more effective.
  • Options
    Truly Madley poor referee
  • Options
    Short corners in themselves aren’t bad. Notts County only took short corners in the first half of the season and scored at a better rate than normal corners (going off memory). The issue is that we haven’t had a preseason to properly drill them