Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    I'm pleased with this... To get a clean sheet is massive progress.

Yes we might still go down..... But its in our own hands. Burton, Reading Cambridge and Vale all lost... Nobody is running out of the zone yet.

Onto Derby but wondering if Tennai is crocked who slips into right back?

Derby lost today which hopefully makes them jittery on Tuesday and no Cbt likely to play either. 
  • Options
    That was a very well deserved point. Huge effort from everyone. Jones deserves great credit in getting the team playing.

I just hope as we possibly start to turn the corner, suspensions and injuries don't cost us. Jones is going to be missed in the next 2 games - after a big dip in form, he's come back superbly in the last 3 or 4 games and was MOM today in my opinion.

And Watson didn't look great when he went off and presumably he must be doubtful for Tuesday.

Only downer for me today was Bakinson. I just don't get what he brings to this team. I can only hope Coventry was injured or unavailable for some other reason - anybody know? - because he is a much better player than Bakinson.
  • Options
    It’s another point I was not expecting but 3 points out of 12 is not going to save us.

Both May and Dobson must be frightened of picking up bookings?
    Aneke unable to play a full 45 minutes and Shrewsbury winning.

Nathan we need to start winning or it will too late to catch the teams above us. Let’s not ride our luck every week with Port Vale and Cheltenham, sooner or later it will run out.

Stick with Charlton players and young players don’t let loan players anywhere near the team.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Lloyd Jones MOTM for me today 
    That tackle when their geezer was through on goal … outstanding. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 24
    I'm pleased with this... To get a clean sheet is massive progress.

Yes we might still go down..... But its in our own hands. Burton, Reading Cambridge and Vale all lost... Nobody is running out of the zone yet.

Onto Derby but wondering if Tennai is crocked who slips into right back?

Derby lost today which hopefully makes them jittery on Tuesday and no Cbt likely to play either . 
    REG probably, the other wing back will be Small and 3 CBs Ness, Thomas & Gillesphey would be my choice unless Hector is available 🤷‍♂️ instead of Ness.Other alternatives are Assimwe or hopefully not Edun at RWB and then it could be REG instead of Ness at CB.
  • Options
    Zero entertainment value but a good point in the end.....blatant penalty for us when Pompey player controlled the ball with his hand.....referee very poor and seemed to give more to Pompey than us.......need to start winning and soon.....
  • Options
    Watching Karoy Anderson run around like a madman chasing their centre backs in the 89th minute was a moment of immense pride.

In weeks past, that ball would’ve been whacked back into our box under no pressure. Karoy’s running made them have to pass it between themselves for a good 10 seconds at least, trying to find an opening.

You can’t overstate how helpful that is for your defenders to have time to get set.
    The gut busting tackle he put in towards the end was almost brilliant had it not squirmed to the Pompey player. 
  • Options
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    This.

We can nick points here & there but at the end of the day we still havent won in 15 games.

2 draws gets you 2 points.
    1 win & 1 defeat gets you 3 points. 
    This is true but you need to add some context to the results. If we'd just got 2 draws with Carlisle and Burton then fair enough, but we've just taken 2 points off 2 of the top 3 sides, when many fans (myself included) expected none.

I've said all along it will be the games in March that decide our fate, not this run of games of games against the top 3. 
    Would rather have lost 1-0 at Bolton & won 1-0 today.

Would still have kept a clean sheet
    No difference in GD
    BUT AN EXTRA POINT.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That was Gillesphey
    _MrDick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That was Gillesphey.
    In my defence I didn’t have my glasses  😳 
  • Options
    Can’t really fault any of the team today. The only one who was of concern was Bakinson. Game passed him by and when he got the ball he did very little with it.

I thought we were a little rushed and careless at times. Needed a calm head and some shanked passes, poor corner kicks and wasted chances suggested we were a little nervy, understandably.

We didn’t really get Chuks into the game which was a shame as he had a good half an hour to make the difference.

Isted pulled off some very good saves and I thought the ball endeavour of Anderson in midfield was exceptional.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    This.

We can nick points here & there but at the end of the day we still havent won in 15 games.

2 draws gets you 2 points.
    1 win & 1 defeat gets you 3 points. 
    I think that it's 16 league games without a win, 5 in December, 6 in January and another 5 in February. The longest winless run of any team in the division this season.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    As people say it was Gillesphey as Jones tried to kick him 🤣
  • Options
    If we weren’t in the position we are it would be a great result - it still is just wish we’d nicked one.

There is an unbelievable player there in Jones he just needs confidence and he’s gaining it under NJ
  • Options
    edited February 24
    It was a fine point and well-earned against the top of the table. 

It does make the games against the bottom sides that much more critical though, because we can't get an upset anywhere to help our points total. 

I'll press the panic button if we lose/draw to Cheltenham but before then we're fine ticking along. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Haha @Gribbo on Charltontv
    Really? 
    What did he say?