Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth: Saturday 24th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    It’s always seemed to me that fans see a corner straight into the box as having a greater chance of scoring but then so often it actually favours the defence. Do the same fans wish we just banged it into the box in a similarly hopeful fashion in normal play? I believe that short corners ultimately lead to more goals. Here’s a link that can explain it better than I could:

https://themastermindsite.com/2022/11/01/the-case-for-short-corners/
    I thought I had read once that, statistically, relatively few goals actually yield from corners. Everyone gets excited when your team is awarded one, but the chance of actually scoring is fairly slim. 
    I think it’s mainly the excitement in the build up play to the corner that gets people going, then your brought back down to earth when the corner is played! 
    Especially if you support Charlton!
  • Options
    Draw was a fair result, thought they were going to nick it in the dying seconds when from being in their corner in the 96th minute we offered a ridiculous cross into their box which they ran up the other end and almost scored with the last kick of the match. Isted makes me feel a lot more comfortable than Brewer ever did.
    This. Thomas' cross into the West stand when the Pompey area was loaded with our players nearly cost us big time.

From that throw, Pompey worked the ball down our end and got a final throw which they threw in long. After a scramble the ball dropped to one of their players and as his foot drew back i thought **** this is in. So relieved when it flew past the post.

If we had conceded that was down to Thomas.

Anyway, we didn't so maybe NJ has brought a change of luck with him as well.
  • Options
    Think the only thing I’d change for Derby is MG for Jones and Camara for Bakinson. I think his athleticism and driving runs could be what we’re missing creatively going forward. 
  • Options
    Need that player in the middle with nous and a calm head to be our playmaker. We have no metronome in midfield to dictate our play. Forwards are still isolated and feeding off scraps. Admittedly yesterday they were up against a very decent league one team. I think yesterday was if nothing else an indication of where we need to be in terms of play. For me it’s still miles off. I hope the owners are prepared to back Jones in the summer because we’re still I think half a dozen players away.
  • Options
    Draw was a fair result, thought they were going to nick it in the dying seconds when from being in their corner in the 96th minute we offered a ridiculous cross into their box which they ran up the other end and almost scored with the last kick of the match. Isted makes me feel a lot more comfortable than Brewer ever did.
    This. Thomas' cross into the West stand when the Pompey area was loaded with our players nearly cost us big time.

From that throw, Pompey worked the ball down our end and got a final throw which they threw in long. After a scramble the ball dropped to one of their players and as his foot drew back i thought **** this is in. So relieved when it flew past the post.

If we had conceded that was down to Thomas.

Anyway, we didn't so maybe NJ has brought a change of luck with him as well.
    You are using the word “cross” extremely loosely there!
  • Options
    We offer so little going forwards, Kanu and May put in so much effort with hardly any support from the midfield. Bakinson was poor, Thomas's passing gets worse each week and our set pieces were dreadful. Nice to get a clean sheet but there's a lack of creative quality across the team. Only 2 teams won less games than us.
    This.

We can nick points here & there but at the end of the day we still havent won in 15 games.

2 draws gets you 2 points.
    1 win & 1 defeat gets you 3 points. 
    This is true but you need to add some context to the results. If we'd just got 2 draws with Carlisle and Burton then fair enough, but we've just taken 2 points off 2 of the top 3 sides, when many fans (myself included) expected none.

I've said all along it will be the games in March that decide our fate, not this run of games of games against the top 3. 
    Would rather have lost 1-0 at Bolton & won 1-0 today.

Would still have kept a clean sheet
    No difference in GD
    BUT AN EXTRA POINT.
    If we’re talking in ifs and buts then I’d rather we’d have won both.
  • Options
    Terry Taylor? Anybody know what's happened to him? Very strange. 
    Look at how Jones is setting up the midfield to press and get in the faces of this 'trilogy' of top 3 promotion chasers in quick succession we're having to play.

It's about denying time and space, breaking up play and getting the ball forward as quickly as possible. 

When we play lesser teams we're probably going to need a bit more guile and creativity to break down packed defences. 

He's been recovering from successive operations and played very little football this season - and right now we've no need to rush him back.

Terry Taylor will have his chance, I'll bet. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCOlly said:

I just wish we were a little more skilled at the ‘dark arts’. Barkinson should’ve been right in the ref’s face when he let a Pompey player get away with punching the ball away just minutes after Barkinson was booked for kicking the ball away (all of 5 yards). 
    Really..... and got himself a second booking?

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bankinson

Barkinson. 

😂
    He was down as Bakison on Charlton TV before the game too!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Got to stop sodding about with those silly short corners.
    Note on this. We have only scored from ONE corner this season and it was last week from a short corner. I’ve no issue with them, we just need to be better at them than the embarrassment that was today’s offside howler.
    Unless the Linesman noticed the smallest of movements when May stopped the ball, but saw a comment on Twitter suggesting that it was the wrong call from the Lino.

If the ball didnt go forwards when May touched it, Small wasn't offside?
    The offside law doesn't mention the direction of the ball, it just has to be played (or touched).  It's quite rare to be offside from a ball not played forward but this was a perfect example of it.

Similar misunderstandings occur when occasions players are flagged offside in their own half (rare but also possible).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst I agree that Lloyd Jones was wonderful with the aerial duels and MOM I thought he was poor with his kicked clearances on a couple of occasions. 
  • Options
    First time in ages I wasn’t listening in (Ireland v Wales down the local).
    So thank you for all the comments on the game.

I was so happy with the clean sheet (I bet Brownie was too).

It seems, from most of the comments, that the team really is buying into NJ & building in confidence. Long may that continue.

I’ll be back to listening for Derby (I was worried if we actually won I wouldn’t be allowed to 😩).

COYR!
  • Options
    I've been a big critic of Jones all season, but he played really well yesterday
    . Dominant in the air and seemed to relish the battle with their centre forward. I like the way he bawled out Bakinson in the first half after he won a header and Bakinson didn't bother chasing the ball down. Thats what we need at the back someone whose gonna lead. He still had a couple of moments, one in the first half when he stumbled and almost tripped himself up the one in the second where he was asking isted to come for the ball rather than dealing with it and then sliced it up in the air lol. He was much improved and MOTM though. Just typical he's now bloody suspended!
  • Options
    Don't know where this club would be without the youngsters having to step in each season to keep us going. 

The latest being Anderson and Kanu.
    Their effort, determination and desire is what is helping us turn the tide. If they can keep that up and the other players respond we will get that win and begin to really pull away from the relegation zone. 
  • Options
    Scrappy game lacking in very much good football and goals, but still very exciting game. It was good to see us competing all over the pitch and you would never have guessed the difference in points and league places. We could have won it, but glad we didn't lose it. Fantastic match saving tackle from Gillesphey. Feel a bit more hopeful of survival after that.
  • Options
    Will miss having Portsmouth in our league next season. A game both teams sell out the away end, good atmospheres and normally a better than average game. 

We’ve so few games of interest. Losing them will be a blow 
    We will just have to wait until the season after, when we join them in the Championship 👍😁