Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    Watched the NJ interview. 

I tend to believe him when he says that he is 'More disappointed than any human being on the planet.'   It's great init?
  • Options
    Reinforces for me that we must get a new, first choice keeper for next season. I’m not at all convinced by Isted. He nearly mucked up in first half too with one swirling by his post. For the benefit of @Garrymanilow above, I’ve been saying this all season, not suddenly screeching it. 

Two big matches coming up now v teams below us. Need six points from those. 

On the positives, new boys REG, Gillesphey, Small, Coventry all excellent today. And Coventry and Dobbo showed they can link up well in the middle. 
    Well he'd only played 5 leagues games earlier in the season so I guess you'd written him off by then? Cool.
    I’ve watched enough football over the past few decades to be able to judge a keeper on the basis of a few matches. Isted does not do it for me. A couple of friends, one of whom used to play in goal, independently came to the same conclusion. It’s like full back - a position where you can actually get top quality for relatively little investment. Great positions to gain competitive advantage. 
    And do you and your friends think that the Maidstone keeper would fall into this category?
  • Options
    edited March 3
    An absolute goalkeeping howler which totally gutted me as they wouldn't have scored if we'd still be playing now.

I'm glad we also have at last got parity between home and away fixtures played. To me that makes our league position look more correct.

People saying we must get 4 points minimum from the next two games are wrong and clearly don't understand the nuances of a relegation battle. Two is not the end of the world and 3 is acceptable should we win on Tuesday.

Having said that imo with our current form, we should get at least 4, but 6 is a definite possibility, especially if we score first on Tuesday evening.
  • Options
    edited March 3
    On the match thread - after our goal - I questioned whether Lady Luck had changed sides. I was clearly wrong (what's new). But interestingly a couple of people suggested that the deflection wasn't luck, it was down to improvement under the new manager. So surely, by that logic, the equaliser was also the fault of Jones? 

I think Jones is a far better manager than the previous few and I can see the improvement for myself, but we have leaked goals due to individual errors for a couple of years now, under previous (less popular) managers there have been large numbers of people blaming those managers for the results of matches where individual errors have cost us points. I can honestly say that, right or wrong I have been consistent in blaming those individuals rather than the manager, I simply refuse to blame a "system" or "game plan" for individual errors. Players need to stop being shit (I include the strikers who missed, or failed to get to the ball when in excellent positions in that) at crucial moments. 

We are a bloody unlucky club, too.         
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why does it have to be sung so quickly 
    Maybe if we played Mull of Kintyre over the tannoy as they do at Forest then our younger fans would slow down a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if some have never heard the original. After all, it is now over 45 years old. 

I remember that Spurs fans made a concerted effort to slow down their rendition of ’oh, when the spurs’ a few years ago and it seems to have stuck.

The question is that if an ’older’ fan started singing it at its original speed, would other ’older’ fans show solidarity and join in?
  • Options
    The fact is that both Maynard Brewer and Istead are absolutely useless goalkeepers.

The goalkeeper is so important, and these two are so bad that it is embarrassing.

I am sure that Nathan has already identified who he wants for next season, and Maynard Brewer and Istead will quickly be shown the door,

I hope that next season we will have a goalkeeper who is competent. Maybe even someone like Dylan Phillips coming back.
  • Options
    Why do some keeping adding an 'a' to Isted's name? It's not even a difficult one. 
  • Options
    Charlton should have won that one. 

Alfie May won the EFL player of the year in London awards that may have impacted his concentration. 

A focused Alfie scores & passes in the missed chance before the Istead feck up. These things happen for strikers & Alfie remains a great striker & asset. Good interview at the awards, if you have not seen it 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzM6kxeJGDc

Mistakes do happen in football & L1. I trust Nathan Jones to address & reduce them & improve the players. As long as Istead learns from it, it’s manageable. 

On a positive note, Charlton are 5 unbeaten. The team are working hard. A rested Aneke ready for the important game against Cheltenham. 

The table still looking better- Cambridge & Shrewsbury well in the mix now. A couple more wins & 4 or 5 teams above Charlton are in there too. The key  thing is that it is definitely in Charlton’s hands & if they continue to work as hard, the results will happen. A bit more clinical in the final third. We will get there. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Why do some keeping adding an 'a' to Isted's name? It's not even a difficult one. 
    Instead of Istead, just write Isted.
  • Options
    One aspect I didn't like from yesterday was the two defenders coming back into the box for short goal kicks? What was all that about?
    It just invites pressure on ourselves and we really aren't good enough to be doing that kind of thing yet.
    Yeah that was weird because we haven't been doing that under Jones. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Talal said:
    Instead of Istead, just write Isted.
    Maybe he should change it to Instead. "I should've just hoofed it Instead".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 3
    Why Coventry held onto the ball so long in those highlights around 53 seconds I don't know.  Alfie particularly but Kanu also we're through with a quick return ball. He held onto it long enough for their defense to be back and Alfie's chance was that much harder 
    Alfie and Ladapo missed a number of chances.  We definitely need another striker in the summer. I think the squad is decent but misses the sparkle of 3-4 top class players you need to get promoted.  
    Need to stay up first of course. We should be doing that relatively straight forwards I think.
  • Options
    We really missed Chuks yesterday. With the high press from the front tactics, you want 2 strikers on the bench so that the forwards can really work hard, and be replaced by fresh legs.

Tedic might have been really poor, but he would have been more useful to us now than Fiorini.
  • Options
    There's some good work by their forwards once the back pass goes to Isted, blocking off his easy pass to Jones (by the scorer), which forces him to take the extra touch, the 7 closing down ahead to get in ahead of REG. There was only one pass on from the view we have to our player in midfield (Coventry/ Dobson?) and that opportunity was lost.
  • Options
    edited March 3
    Firstly the positive. They were in decent form and I can hardly remember an away performance where we stopped the opposition creating anything at all worth mentioning. The negative was we still managed to draw a game like that. I think there is now too much about us to get dragged into the bottom four but it is Charlton I suppose.
  • Options
    There's some good work by their forwards once the back pass goes to Isted, blocking off his easy pass to Jones (by the scorer), which forces him to take the extra touch, the 7 closing down ahead to get in ahead of REG. There was only one pass on from the view we have to our player in midfield (Coventry/ Dobson?) and that opportunity was lost.
    There’s always the option to pass to row Z. 
    But i can see why Isted, once in receipt of the backpass couldn't, or maybe wouldn't, do that. The closing down was very effective (evidently!).