Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    It was 2 points dropped.However the fact is we are playing 3 of the bottom 4 next and should be aiming for 9 points . They are not bottom 4 for no reason and we must win those games. That would get us to 47 points - touching distance of safety. Being realistic Northampton are higher up the league so a point was ok. But its not ok if we dont win these 3 games.
  • Options
    vff said:
    Charlton should have won that one. 

Alfie May won the EFL player of the year in London awards that may have impacted his concentration. 

How is this possible? Are they late for 2023?
    It’s only the first week in March for 2024. Even if it’s supposed to be ’player of the season’ then that is only still 75% gone. Why does everything  have to be done so  bleeding early these days? They’re bloody daft or in today’s terms ’they need to give their head a wobble’
    Especially as while he was the clear winner for the first half of the season, he's been pretty poor since January. 
  • Options
    GeoffB said:
    It was 2 points dropped.However the fact is we are playing 3 of the bottom 4 next and should be aiming for 9 points . They are not bottom 4 for no reason and we must win those games. That would get us to 47 points - touching distance of safety. Being realistic Northampton are higher up the league so a point was ok. But its not ok if we dont win these 3 games.
    Thing is those 3 of the 4 teams also say the same about us. These teams will be up for it too. Just hope we come away from it in a good place 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    mendonca said:
    CBT or a replacement of some worth would have been handy yesterday.
    Disagree. We didn't need someone who drifts in and out of the game and occasionally shakes a leg. We needed one of our many chances finished 
    Disagree. Somebody who scored 8 goals and assisted 6 for us this season might have made his own goal :).
  • Options
    we started passing it out from the keeper at the back in the second half - pretty sure that's the first time we've done that under NJ and i'm pretty sure that's the first 'gift' we've given under NJ - the 2 things aren't unrelated if u ask me - hopefully NJ tells them that its not to happen again - can only assume it was an instruction at half time - i hope we don't see it again - also think anderson should have been hooked at half time - looked like it was one game too many for him - just hoping chucks is fit for tuesday coz ladapo has been one big disappointment - coventry, reg, gillesphy and small all looking like good additions     
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    There's some good work by their forwards once the back pass goes to Isted, blocking off his easy pass to Jones (by the scorer), which forces him to take the extra touch, the 7 closing down ahead to get in ahead of REG. There was only one pass on from the view we have to our player in midfield (Coventry/ Dobson?) and that opportunity was lost.
    There’s always the option to pass to row Z. 
    But i can see why Isted, once in receipt of the backpass couldn't, or maybe wouldn't, do that. The closing down was very effective (evidently!).
    It wasn’t really, it was down to Isted not clearing it after controlling it. His second touch was awful, and the attacker wasn’t even that close to him.
    He takes the second touch because his preferred pass wasn't on and that was because of good closing down by the attacker. Benefit of hindsight and video as I wasn't there but credit due to the attackers. Our defenders could have took up better positions once that ball is going back too.
    He should have cleared it, and shouldn’t have been looking for a pass, especially as Northampton had pushed so many forward looking for an equaliser. That’s where he went wrong. Pretty sure that’s what NJ will be telling him, anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 4
    I was there - what a crap ground - we should have 3 or 4 nil up and out of sight by the time the mistake happened - hey ho - joys of supporting CAFC - 2nd half in particular it was men against boys - keep playing like that, cut out stupidity at the back (why didn’t Isted just stick it in Row Z), and we will be fine 
    I sit in Row Z ⚽️
    Still waiting. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    we started passing it out from the keeper at the back in the second half - pretty sure that's the first time we've done that under NJ and i'm pretty sure that's the first 'gift' we've given under NJ - the 2 things aren't unrelated if u ask me - hopefully NJ tells them that its not to happen again - can only assume it was an instruction at half time - i hope we don't see it again - also think anderson should have been hooked at half time - looked like it was one game too many for him - just hoping chucks is fit for tuesday coz ladapo has been one big disappointment - coventry, reg, gillesphy and small all looking like good additions     
    Suspect the wind conditions that were spoken about on Charlton TV had something to do with.

Don’t kick it into the wind and have goal kicks come up 20 yards short is probably not the worst strategy to employ. Bit us in the arse in an obvious way but the majority of the half we completely negated any sort of potential pressure of not being boxed into our own half by not kicking it long into the wind.
    Well i know its easy to say in hindsight but to change your whole style of play - and revert to an error strewn style that we had moved on from - because our kicks wouldn't be going as far as we might want, was the wrong call - as was leaving anderson on - nobody is perfect, not even NJ and i'm 100% behind him - but they were 2 decisions he got wrong - anyway, on to cheltenham - wins like at derby felt doubley sweet because they've been so hard to come by and we've shot ourselves in the foot so often - lets get back to minimal risk football and hopefully get some consecutive wins in the bag and start looking to the summer and next season.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

People saying we must get 4 points minimum from the next two games are wrong and clearly don't understand the nuances of a relegation battle. Two is not the end of the world and 3 is acceptable should we win on Tuesday.

My reasoning for saying that we need a minimum of 4 points from the next 2 games is this.........

We simply have to pick up a point on Tuesday. Losing to Cheltenham would mean that we are just a point from safety and both Cheltenham & PV would still have 2 games in hand over is. Beating Cheltenham would be the perfect scenario but we've only won away twice this season & although we've just beaten Derby away that could be seen as a "one off" at the end of the season. 

And then we have to be beating Carlisle on Saturday. Playing at home to the team rock bottom who have just lost 3-1 at home to Reading. Frankly, if you want to stay up then beating the bottom team at home is going to be your best bet. We probably need another 10-12 points (so 3 wins & a few draws) so not winning that game just piles on more pressure to win other (more difficult) games.
    Forget what happened pre Nathan Jones. I’ve drawn a line under the Holden/Appleton eras. 
    Fresh start; we’re unbeaten in 5, have won a third of our away games, and are 2 draws and 1 win against the top 3. Gotta encourage the positive mindset rather than fretting about the bollox from earlier in the season. I thought you were turning over a new leaf too Golfie?
    Turned over a new leaf
    Then tore right through it.
    It's a sin!
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Suspect the wind conditions that were spoken about on Charlton TV had something to do with.

Don’t kick it into the wind and have goal kicks come up 20 yards short is probably not the worst strategy to employ. Bit us in the arse in an obvious way but the majority of the half we completely negated any sort of potential pressure of not being boxed into our own half by not kicking it long into the wind.
    Well i know its easy to say in hindsight but to change your whole style of play - and revert to an error strewn style that we had moved on from - because our kicks wouldn't be going as far as we might want, was the wrong call - as was leaving anderson on - nobody is perfect, not even NJ and i'm 100% behind him - but they were 2 decisions he got wrong - anyway, on to cheltenham - wins like at derby felt doubley sweet because they've been so hard to come by and we've shot ourselves in the foot so often - lets get back to minimal risk football and hopefully get some consecutive wins in the bag and start looking to the summer and next season.  
    But all our subs made us worse.
    So if we'd subbed Anderson for Campbell at HT we may well have lost.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Yes. We had Jones, Camara and Aneke out for this match. Any one of them would have been better  than the subs we actually used.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    There's some good work by their forwards once the back pass goes to Isted, blocking off his easy pass to Jones (by the scorer), which forces him to take the extra touch, the 7 closing down ahead to get in ahead of REG. There was only one pass on from the view we have to our player in midfield (Coventry/ Dobson?) and that opportunity was lost.
    There’s always the option to pass to row Z. 
    But i can see why Isted, once in receipt of the backpass couldn't, or maybe wouldn't, do that. The closing down was very effective (evidently!).
    It wasn’t really, it was down to Isted not clearing it after controlling it. His second touch was awful, and the attacker wasn’t even that close to him.
    He takes the second touch because his preferred pass wasn't on and that was because of good closing down by the attacker. Benefit of hindsight and video as I wasn't there but credit due to the attackers. Our defenders could have took up better positions once that ball is going back too.
    He should have cleared it, and shouldn’t have been looking for a pass, especially as Northampton had pushed so many forward looking for an equaliser. That’s where he went wrong. Pretty sure that’s what NJ will be telling him, anyway. 
    I didn't feel he was looking for a pass. Looked to me like he was planning to clear it upfield but the touch to set it up for his right foot was too heavy and got away from him. Happens. History. He won't do it again, if he knows what's good for him!
  • Options
    edited March 4
    se9addick said:
    vff said:
    Charlton should have won that one. 

Alfie May won the EFL player of the year in London awards that may have impacted his concentration. 

How is this possible? Are they late for 2023?
    It’s only the first week in March for 2024. Even if it’s supposed to be ’player of the season’ then that is only still 75% gone. Why does everything  have to be done so  bleeding early these days? They’re bloody daft or in today’s terms ’they need to give their head a wobble’
    I’m not really sure what period the award was covering - they were described as the 2024 awards, so I assume it’s measuring the season 2023/24 rather than calendar year 2023. 
    I thought it was for the calendar year 2023, rather than the season.   Could be wrong though.  
  • Options
    edited March 4
    apparently we are a bunch of dirty bastaards...

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    apparently we are a bunch of dirty bastaards...

Good!
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Yes. We had Jones, Camara and Aneke out for this match. Any one of them would have been better  than the subs we actually used.
    I didn't understand why Bakinson wasn't brought on for Anderson when we were leading, to give fresh legs in midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The whole sequence for the goal is comical here. They were doing the same thing, if not worse, at the back. Alfie should’ve done better. They get away with it and not even 15 seconds later we get done under similar pressure at the other end.

Watched this too many times now but remains to me very clear that Isted has to take the first touch to kill the pace on the back pass. He then can't make the pass he wants as the attacker closes Jones down very effectively. He gets challenged on his apparently clumsy second touch by another alert attacker.

I still credit Northampton in the situation and do expect Isted would do the same again if receiving the ball and seeing his options narrowed like that. He didn't get the chance to clear it once he'd looked for Jones. That was his choice and the wrong one in hindsight but he could well choose same again.

Ideally, there's maybe also some responsibility on other defenders to make themselves available rather than being passive, but clearing it should probably be the instinctive response at this level.
  • Options
    I would question the line "apparently clumsy second touch". 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I mean we've seen it happen to our talented players at this level in the past

I'd love to know Jon Brady's approach to an individual like Rak-Sakyi or Mendez-Laing at this level, how he tells his players to deal with an "unplayable" individual that could ruin the Managers career, if he doesnt deal with them the right way.

Its why I like Paul Warne as a Manager, no bullshit whinging about our style

Derby couldn't cope with our intensity, that's their problem... Northampton couldn't, that's theirs, not the referee's - If Leonard was getting caught on the ball and fouled, move the ball quicker!!

I don't like the physicality and play acting that goes on at this level - But I bet he's glad he doesnt have Accrington to deal with
  • Options
    The whole sequence for the goal is comical here. They were doing the same thing, if not worse, at the back. Alfie should’ve done better. They get away with it and not even 15 seconds later we get done under similar pressure at the other end.

Watched this too many times now but remains to me very clear that Isted has to take the first touch to kill the pace on the back pass. He then can't make the pass he wants as the attacker closes Jones down very effectively. He gets challenged on his apparently clumsy second touch by another alert attacker.

I still credit Northampton in the situation and do expect Isted would do the same again if receiving the ball and seeing his options narrowed like that. He didn't get the chance to clear it once he'd looked for Jones. That was his choice and the wrong one in hindsight but he could well choose same again.

Ideally, there's maybe also some responsibility on other defenders to make themselves available rather than being passive, but clearing it should probably be the instinctive response at this level.
    No wonder he screwed up if he kept looking for Jones
    Lol, very good point. Someone looking a bit like Jones who got closed down
  • Options
    Hands up all of you who just knew they were going to equalise.
    We played them off the park in every department but as we all know……the inevitable happened. 🙄
    Me. Just after Alfie's miss.
    I think I said " This has 1-1 written all over it"
  • Options
    I’ve no doubt this summers transfer window will prioritise a better quality keeper who will be our number one goalie.
    Yeah I know it’s been commented on repeatedly above.

The only positive I can take this season is the steady improvement of our youngsters, they bring an old guy much happiness.

D.K we all knew he was a real prospect but to see his physicality now is a joy to see.
    K.A - Saw him occasionally in his junior days so knew what a prospect he could be but boy is he blossoming now.
    Ness, Asiimwe & Campbell will likely learn from experience and contribute to our first team again.
    T. Small - what a big prospect he is!

What excites me the most is that all the names above have yet to reach their full potential, a lot of improvement to come from them. Even if it takes another one or two seasons.