Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    Just seen the goal. It certainly wasn’t great by Isted but I have seen worse this season by a Goalkeeper trying to be clever. 
    Barnsley v Wycombe springs to mind 
  • Options
    My next door neighbour is a Cobbler. 
    His dad was at the game. Here’s his message:

‘Well we got out of jail today !!
    Charlton took us apart today hit the woodwork, missed some sitters, then there goalie did a faux pas in 80th minute gifted us a goal; then we might have nicked it in last ten mins. 
    But ended up with a draw 😳 our defence played well I suppose  .
    Another point 😊’
  • Options
    With all that I’ve read on here since NJ took over, I decided to neglect other things I should be doing and watch the match on TV.

Our defence looks far more solid. The whole back four were impressive.

Out of the team as a whole, I was especially impressed with Gillespie and Coventry.

We show a lot more effort and determination but I still think that too many of our players lack enough quality to be top two next season.

As for Isted, someone suggested he get dropped at the start of this thread and got loads of lols. I don’t know why. That was criminal. I was shouting ’get rid’ even as he taking his first, let alone second, touch. So much for NJ eradicating all that Man City wannabe bollox.

Great support btw. Didn’t hear the unnecessary abuse of he home fans either so that was pleasing too.
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Reinforces for me that we must get a new, first choice keeper for next season. I’m not at all convinced by Isted. He nearly mucked up in first half too with one swirling by his post. For the benefit of @Garrymanilow above, I’ve been saying this all season, not suddenly screeching it. 

Two big matches coming up now v teams below us. Need six points from those. 

On the positives, new boys REG, Gillesphey, Small, Coventry all excellent today. And Coventry and Dobbo showed they can link up well in the middle. 
    Absolutely, called him out early season as an accident waiting to happen though I did say on limited viewing. I believe it was the millwall game when we saw him 3 times do what he did today. I've not seen any live games recently & many seem to think he's "decent" so I can't comment on that but what I have seen so far is that IMO we don't have a keeper that will see us win promotion.
  • Options
    It certainly wasn’t pretty flowing football but it was full of fight and hard graft which deserved three points. We had a few chances to score a second which would have been enough to stop the cobblers fight back. Great that Anderson scored again and he put in another battling performance and looked tired the last 20 minutes. The back 5 looked solid and Small also offered an attacking threat. May looked off the pace today, yes he ran and put some effort in but was caught on the ball too many times, should have scored his header and got a shot away after their defensive mix up. It was from this that they broke and scored due to a shocking error by Isted who I don’t think had a save of note to make all game.
    Gutting that we didn’t get a clean sheet and deserved 3 points and we continue to look around us to make sure we stay up. 
    This coming Tuesday is going to be a massive game. 
  • Options
    No such thing as a perfect keeper, but we do seem to like trying to look like we know what we are doing in playing it short.
    some serious defensive training needed, or maybe a realism check that sometimes just bloody hoof it upfield 🤔
    I am sure NJ will get it sorted by Tuesday,,, bloody hope so…
  • Options
    Isted shouldn't get dropped after one mistake UNLESS you are going to apply exactly the same rule across the entire side - so that means May getting dropped for his miss just before the equaliser for example. 

Of course if you do that it will make all the players play scared and totally shred their morale so probably not a good idea, and doesn't seem to fit Jones' MO either.

By all means give him a roasting... but start him next time and tell him to redeem himself, or else he really will lose his spot. Our 3rd choice keeper is apparently also something of a coach IIRC too, maybe get them both doing some really "back to basics" drills on top of the squad training too.

That said, a new No. 1 keeper is probably moving rapidly up our shopping list for the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    was just discussing during the game that we are taking less chances at the back, more pragmatic, much keener to hoof it upfield when necessary and then THAT happened
    Keeper's errors all too often lead to a loss of points and look horrific whereas a striker's open goal miss never seems so disastrous a mistake as that of a keeper, unfortunately for the keeper it comes with the territory 
    Otherwise a decent performance except for missed chances, we have found a very good set of defenders and midfielders. Whisper it, we are gradually pulling away from the drop zone
  • Options
    edited March 2
    swordfish said:
    If we're looking to buy a keeper who doesn't make the odd howler, we can forget it. They're as rare as rocking horse shit and if they did exist would be way too expensive.
    A very good goalkeeper can be worth as much as a goalscorer.
    I quite agree, but they all make mistakes now and again, the consequences of which are often goals against. Isted knows the consequence of his error today. If we start applying a one strike and you're out policy with goalkeepers we'd be trying a new one every other week. As my dad used to say to me, the man who never made a mistake never made anything.
  • Options
    No such thing as a perfect keeper, but we do seem to like trying to look like we know what we are doing in playing it short.
    some serious defensive training needed, or maybe a realism check that sometimes just bloody hoof it upfield 🤔
    I am sure NJ will get it sorted by Tuesday,,, bloody hope so…
    How was the op mate?  F*** today your health is more important.
  • Options
    I thought we dominated the game today, thought Northampton were poor, and we gifted them a point.

If we’d have drawn with Derby, and won today, people would be buzzing.

Tuesday’s match is massive, I hope the players can handle the pressure.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Reinforces for me that we must get a new, first choice keeper for next season. I’m not at all convinced by Isted. He nearly mucked up in first half too with one swirling by his post. For the benefit of @Garrymanilow above, I’ve been saying this all season, not suddenly screeching it. 

On the positives, new boys REG, Gillesphey, Small, Coventry all excellent today. And Coventry and Dobbo showed they can link up well in the middle. 
    Well he'd only played 5 leagues games earlier in the season so I guess you'd written him off by then? Cool.
    He was worse in those five games than Maynard Brewer had been, so it was only right that he went back on the bench. He's been better since his return, but I'm still not personally convinced. I don't know about you, but I want a keeper that we can be confident of performing for the full 46 matches, not 41 or less.
    Without going back on figures, he'd not played 50 games over a number of seasons.

He was a cheap option.  Is that right Mr Scott?

Not 100% of the exact number but think it's 31 at this level, his other games were all non league 
  • Options
    Isted's gift was their only real chance. It is true we should have got a second then it wouldn't have been an issue but we are clearly moving in the right direction under Jones.
  • Options

As for Isted, someone suggested he get dropped at the start of this thread and got loads of lols. I don’t know why. That was criminal. I was shouting ’get rid’ even as he taking his first, let alone second, touch. So much for NJ eradicating all that Man City wannabe bollox.

Great support btw. Didn’t hear the unnecessary abuse of he home fans either so that was pleasing too.
    Because Istead is a better keeper than AMB (currently).
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I don't understand some of these comments - Don't blame the keeper?

Why not? He made a monumental cock up that cost us two points. 

I mean, it happens and don't throw him under the bus completely, but it is what it is.
    Yes but if you correctly blame the goalie then equally blame May for his misdirected header
    Sorry, no. 

Istead made a cock up that cost us a goal and two points. If you start going through those sort of mental gymnastics you could blame AMB for being pony and getting dropped, thus allowing Istead to get a game.
  • Options
    Just seen the highlights.

Alfie a bit unlucky as most times that would go in the bottom corner. Admittedly he had a free header but if could bury every chance he had he wouldn't be playing in League 1. 

As for their goal......all I can say is that until the manager tells the keeper that he just wants ithe ball cleared first time then that is what you are going to get. Stop passing it around at the back & you'll cut out the mistakes.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    We'd have jumped above three other teams with the win. Still so tight. A point gained at a team that easily beat us not long ago. Can't keep a clean sheet. Big misses from Alfie and Ladapo cost us as much as Isted's howler.

For those that haven't seen it, a back pass to Isted, he side tapped it 5 yards to his right central and close to the edge of the box. Unfortunately a Cobbler was right there. As Isted scrambled to block the shot the ball is scuffed sideways by the player and another Cobbler can just roll the ball into an empty net with no defenders in sight. 
    Did they easily beat us? We were in the game until deep into added time and the result was 2-3.There was little between the sides IMO.

Edit - recklessness cost us a point that day, two today.
    Edit edit - all three that day..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why does it have to be sung so quickly 
    That's what I was thinking
  • Options
    Stig said:

Well he'd only played 5 leagues games earlier in the season so I guess you'd written him off by then? Cool.
    He was worse in those five games than Maynard Brewer had been, so it was only right that he went back on the bench. He's been better since his return, but I'm still not personally convinced. I don't know about you, but I want a keeper that we can be confident of performing for the full 46 matches, not 41 or less.
    Without going back on figures, he'd not played 50 games over a number of seasons.

He was a cheap option.  Is that right Mr Scott?

Not 100% of the exact number but think it's 31 at this level, his other games were all non league 
    Even worse then.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Isted... No doubt Jones who previously made not one rickett but three will understand, but nobody is mentioning that calamity. 

Let's hope Alfie and Kanu can make it up to Harry by banging them in on Tuesday with Alfie having more incentive than most. 

• Options
    Istead should have smashed it as hard as possible! Having listened to talk sport there are 2 goalkeepers in the Prem who have the skills to be sweepers, there are none in the Champs and certainly not league 1! 
    Hope Istead has learnt his lesson and will take no prisoners in the future, happy for row Z any time and gives a no nonsense approach is what we need!
    I am sure Jones will be working to get his confidence back as we want Istead to get this out of his system and perform to his best ability. 
    Once again we need to get massively behind the team as they need to respond as a team!!!
  • Options
    Agree we need another keeper next season but let's trust isted for the time being..would have taken a draw before the game. We competed well again..in Jones we trust ( would never have said the same bout Appleton) 
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Isted... No doubt Jones who previously made not one rickett but three will understand, but nobody is mentioning that calamity. 

Let's hope Alfie and Kanu can make it up to Harry by banging them in on Tuesday with Alfie having more incentive than most. 

Why would we be talking about Lloyd Jones' calamities months later?
    We did on the match day, the same as we are on the match day of Isted's calamity.