Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2
    Avoided defeat against a top half team again. 

Another point closer. 

Point on Tuesday, then beat Carlisle and probably only need 3 wins from last 8 games.

• Options
    edited March 2
    We'd have jumped above three other teams with the win. Still so tight. A point gained at a team that easily beat us not long ago. Can't keep a clean sheet. Big misses from Alfie and Ladapo cost us as much as Isted's howler.

For those that haven't seen it, a back pass to Isted, he side tapped it 5 yards to his right central and close to the edge of the box. Unfortunately a Cobbler was right there. As Isted scrambled to block the shot the ball is scuffed sideways by the player and another Cobbler can just roll the ball into an empty net with no defenders in sight. 
    Did they easily beat us? We were in the game until deep into added time and the result was 2-3.There was little between the sides IMO.

Edit - recklessness cost us a point that day, two today.
  • Options
    Hi everybody 
    back in the real world after knee surgery and sounds like a game should have won, but a draw is not a total failure…or was it, will catch up on the match thread later
    On to Tuesday and a must win eh👍
    Good to hear you’re through the op.
    Now onto the rehab 💪🏻
    What a gutter you couldn’t wake up to 3 points.
    That said, results went our way and all in all it was a positive showing from the lads.
    Happy with the 4 points from our last 2 games.
    Would agree that Cheltenham is a big game but NJ will have it in hand.

• Options
    Northampton are a seriously poor side in a tin pot stadium, and we have 1 point from them this season and are a long way behind. Disappointing. Alfie should have scored seconds before they did.  

Still had a good day out, off for a nice meal before the train home and my lad brings a match ball home with him so is over the moon!

All in all a decent away day.
    Great post, and good stuff about the ball, get it signed.

As for the meal, hopefully you're going to a Spoons :)
  • Options
    Definitely 2 points dropped there, we should've been 2 or even 3-0 up before the howler. That said we have to look at it as another point closer to survival. I think 4 more wins or 3 wins/3 draws should be enough.

We've gone from being rock bottom of the form table to being one of only 4 teams in the division to be unbeaten in their last 5, and all 5 were against top half teams. Now we face 5 bottom half teams, including 3 of the bottom 4. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi everybody 
    back in the real world after knee surgery and sounds like a game should have won, but a draw is not a total failure…or was it, will catch up on the match thread later
    On to Tuesday and a must win eh👍
    Nice one mate.

Can you make the bench on Tuesday? :)
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Very disappointing to throw it away like that. We definitely need a better goalkeeper. Also, it felt like a step down in quality with Ladapo and Campell on. In recent matches it's felt like we've upped our fire power when making subs, but not today. Other than that though, I think there's a lot to be pleased with. Particularly impressed with Thomas, Gillesphey, Coventry, May and Kanu.
  • Options
    Thanks Isted mate. £60 you cost me. 
    £900 for me 🤣
  • Options
    Why do we continue to faff about with the ball in a winning position with 10 mins to go. Just get the fcuking ball away.
  • Options
    Conditions made it hard for both sides but we were the better team by a distance. They have to thank Isted for a real gift.
  • Options
    Frustrating as we should have Won at least 2-0
    However when you a make a stupid mistake like we did care of our normally excellent Keeper you get punished.
    I have great faith that  NJ will iron this blip out 👍👍👍👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    Gotta love The Jones boy , honestly think we are on to good times with him , even after todays disappointing 
  • Options
    I've not read the thread, but am content as I predicted 1-1.
    Mind you we would have won that if it wasn't for Louis Mendez.
    What don't I know?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Reinforces for me that we must get a new, first choice keeper for next season. I’m not at all convinced by Isted. He nearly mucked up in first half too with one swirling by his post. For the benefit of @Garrymanilow above, I’ve been saying this all season, not suddenly screeching it. 

Two big matches coming up now v teams below us. Need six points from those. 

On the positives, new boys REG, Gillesphey, Small, Coventry all excellent today. And Coventry and Dobbo showed they can link up well in the middle. 
    Well he'd only played 5 leagues games earlier in the season so I guess you'd written him off by then? Cool.
    He was worse in those five games than Maynard Brewer had been, so it was only right that he went back on the bench. He's been better since his return, but I'm still not personally convinced. I don't know about you, but I want a keeper that we can be confident of performing for the full 46 matches, not 41 or less.
    Without going back on figures, he'd not played 50 games over a number of seasons.

He was a cheap option.  Is that right Mr Scott?
  • Options
    Any confirmation from Jones that Aneke and Camara was indeed just managing minutes?

I think I would still go Anderson, Camara and Coventry to start vs Cheltenham. And of course Aneke for the 60th minute onwards.
  • Options
    Any confirmation from Jones that Aneke and Camara was indeed just managing minutes?

I think I would still go Anderson, Camara and Coventry to start vs Cheltenham. And of course Aneke for the 60th minute onwards.
    Highly doubt they would’ve travelled if they were injured.
  • Options

Regardless of what Jones says I cannot imagine 'managing minutes' extends to not being on the bench.

Aneke probably sprained a wrist picking up a pen signing his new 10 years contract.
  • Options
    Disappointing not to win that. In the end we suffered from having the initiative and not doing anything with it. Missed chances from a few players left us open to an equaliser. Shame that it came from an Isted mistake as he's made the whole defence feel much more assured since he came in and has played well. One mistake and you can already see people screeching how we need a new keeper which is pretty bleak to see from our fans. We should have been in a position where an error wouldn't have taken the win away from us but we didn't and it always felt like if we didn't score again we'd be punished. That's the next stage after adding some drive, determination and more security to our play, it's being clinical. We now go up against three teams who are going to be going hard for survival and we've seen that Fleetwood have no issue scoring at the moment. People can tantrum all they want about Isted making one mistake but it doesn't matter if we put prime Buffon in goal, if we can't take control of games and kill them off when we're in the ascendancy we're going to keep dropping points and risking relegation. Northampton were about as bad as I thought they'd be for a team with nothing to play for, we'll have to step our quality up against the relegation rivals
    Disagree, prime Buffon in goal and we would have won that game.
    In fact with a better keeper than Isted or AMB we would have won that game.
    Lincoln's keeper the other night was outstanding.