Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2
    I get why Isted is getting blasted, but also see why he might not have been as sharp as we'd have liked him to be. 

He's played very well since coming back in and we should have been well clear of the draw by the time that happened. 

Subs came too late and bench was too weak today.

Also... When I saw the team, I knew.

• Options
    edited March 2
    Genuinely feels like a loss, certainly points dropped!

Don’t get the insistence to play out from the back, be it a goal kick or recycling a passage of play- it inevitably puts us under unwanted pressure and we seem to always fumble it and give away easy goals, we’ve been going it all season!!

we played alright, no real spark or magic but we didn’t seem to need it - but when you give away goals like that then it’s desperate to have it.

may did well to chase around and was unlucky not to score, kanu similar- but what the fuck does Ladapo bring to this side, because it’s certainly not physicality, nor is it Arial prescience and not even good feet - no real difference to having tedic up front! 

Dobbo had a quiet game, and couldn’t seem to decide what his role was going to be today, Anderson good but shouldn’t be ‘unstoppable’ certainly when it comes to the last 10/15 mins

really disappointing result and a deflating one too, but a point is a positive (albeit a small one) and we go into some 6pointers being unbeaten.

really missed Aneke today, Jones back in the fold will be great too!

Loved the return of the “he fu**ing hates Millwall” chant for Theiry Small
    How does the song go?
  • Options
    A frustrating 2 points lost.

Another thing I personally find frustrating are these periods of not keeping the ball on the ground; seems to happen too often just in front of the two full backs. Thomas, even though he's had some decent games and seems to be a different player under Jonesy, is probably the main culprit, where the ball just ends up getting booted either up in the air 3 or 4 times, or in any general direction. I'm all for "route one", but its in the lap of the gods if the ball comes out of these weird melees in the direction of "route one" or not. Also think the old adage of not playing the ball across the goal mouth is a pretty good footballing rule to stick to, even if you do insist on always playing it out from the back.

Still think you can see a distinct improvement in confidence amongst the ranks and a marked overall improvement in quality since Sir Nathan came in
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Reinforces for me that we must get a new, first choice keeper for next season. I’m not at all convinced by Isted. He nearly mucked up in first half too with one swirling by his post. For the benefit of @Garrymanilow above, I’ve been saying this all season, not suddenly screeching it. 

Two big matches coming up now v teams below us. Need six points from those. 

On the positives, new boys REG, Gillesphey, Small, Coventry all excellent today. And Coventry and Dobbo showed they can link up well in the middle. 
    Well he'd only played 5 leagues games earlier in the season so I guess you'd written him off by then? Cool.
    He was worse in those five games than Maynard Brewer had been, so it was only right that he went back on the bench. He's been better since his return, but I'm still not personally convinced. I don't know about you, but I want a keeper that we can be confident of performing for the full 46 matches, not 41 or less.
    Without going back on figures, he'd not played 50 games over a number of seasons.

He was a cheap option.  Is that right Mr Scott?
    Looks like he's probably had a decent half season for Barnsley (they made the play offs), other than that he's struggled to make the Number 1 jersey his own at any club, even at non-league level.

• Options
    Reinforces for me that we must get a new, first choice keeper for next season. I’m not at all convinced by Isted. He nearly mucked up in first half too with one swirling by his post. For the benefit of @Garrymanilow above, I’ve been saying this all season, not suddenly screeching it. 

Two big matches coming up now v teams below us. Need six points from those. 

On the positives, new boys REG, Gillesphey, Small, Coventry all excellent today. And Coventry and Dobbo showed they can link up well in the middle. 
    Well he'd only played 5 leagues games earlier in the season so I guess you'd written him off by then? Cool.
    I’ve watched enough football over the past few decades to be able to judge a keeper on the basis of a few matches. Isted does not do it for me. A couple of friends, one of whom used to play in goal, independently came to the same conclusion. It’s like full back - a position where you can actually get top quality for relatively little investment. Great positions to gain competitive advantage. 
    Apart from today, I can't recall one Charlton fan thinking Isted or AMB are what is required for a team with promotion aspirations.
    I can't recall many L1 keepers that are undoubtedly worse than AMB and Isted is average at best.
  • Options
    Considering theres 2 comparable keepers battling to get off the gench, think that mistake is worthy of giving AMB a go until he makes a howler. 

Also think a decent No 1 keeper needs bringing in in the summer, regardless of which one of these win their little battle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One positive I noted today is how much more effective our direct play is compared to earlier in the season. Clear plan to play early down the channels and it works to Alfie and DK's strengths - obviously won us the penalty on Tuesday too.

Something that's completely done my head in over recent seasons has been nothing balls to a striker who has no chance of beating the CB to it - peaking with us trying to do that to Alfie earlier in the season. 

One sign of simple but effective changes to coaching and approach, good to see us making better use of the players available.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Considering theres 2 comparable keepers battling to get off the gench, think that mistake is worthy of giving AMB a go until he makes a howler. 
     Strongly disagree. If it was a succession of howlers, sure but after one?!

Nah that'd be moronic.
  • Options
    So frustrating. Especially when our tactics at the back have been so "safety" first in recent weeks, with the defenders happy to hoof the ball clear, rather than trying to pass out EVERY time.

Northampton were bad today, BUT they've shown over the season that they're not a bad side. We made them look ordinary, until we gifted them the equaliser . 

Every season you get a bogie opposition. This season we should have got 4 points from Northampton, instead we've ended up with 1
  • Options
    edited March 2
    If we're looking to buy a keeper who doesn't make the odd howler, we can forget it. They're as rare as rocking horse shit and if they did exist would be way too expensive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    I've not read the thread, but am content as I predicted 1-1.
    Mind you we would have won that if it wasn't for Louis Mendez.
    What don't I know?
    Louis has missed 2 away games this season, Wigan and Derby.
  • Options
    So frustrating. Especially when our tactics at the back have been so "safety" first in recent weeks, with the defenders happy to hoof the ball clear, rather than trying to pass out EVERY time.

Northampton were bad today, BUT they've shown over the season that they're not a bad side. We made them look ordinary, until we gifted them the equaliser . 

Every season you get a bogie opposition. This season we should have got 4 points from Northampton, instead we've ended up with 1
    Fair points in all ,but the counter is that we've outplayed quite a few teams this season and lost to them.
    It makes me feel less confident about Tuesday, just hope the players feel differently.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    If we're looking to buy a keeper who doesn't make the odd howler, we can forget it. They're as rare as rocking horse shit and if they did exist would be way too expensive.
    A very good goalkeeper can be worth as much as a goalscorer.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    A very good goalkeeper can be worth as much as a goalscorer.
    Indeed. Brian Clough signed Shilton for Forest for that reason.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I've not read the thread, but am content as I predicted 1-1.
    Mind you we would have won that if it wasn't for Louis Mendez.
    What don't I know?
    Louis has missed 2 away games this season, Wigan and Derby.