Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley : Saturday 6th April 2024 : KO 15:00

edited April 6 in General Charlton
@LoOkOuT's having connection problems, so I'm subbing today courtesy of the BBCSport website. Headlines are 2 first half goals from Alfie May, Barnsley made it 1-1 via a penalty conceded due to a Kayne Ramsey handball, and Chuks had a penalty saved in second half injury time, after Tyreece Campbell was fouled.
Final score 2-1 to us, and over to you for more about the game.

Comments

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably our best performance of the season. Could of and should have been a win by a bigger margin. COYR
  • Options
    Just out of interest, what's our record like when Ali Maxwell's been on Charlton TV? I have a vague feeling we've not lost when he's been on, but can't say for certain.
  • Options
    is it to early to say “we have our Charlton back” ? 😜 
  • Options
    edited April 6
    JamesSeed said:
    Proper game of football that. One of Alfie’s best for us. Everyone played well, the ref was ok, Barnsley were decent, Chuks was Chuks, Hector good again. 
    Very happy with that. 
    But could have been 4 or 5. 
    Interesting. I thought Barnsley were awful. Very limited. We should have won by 3 or 4. No way they should be in 5th.
    Agree we played well, streets ahead of the game against Stevenage.
  • Options
    It was a good save for the pen but somewhat strange that Chuks missed. I can’t remember the last time there would have been less pressure (other than personal) for a penalty to be converted. It was a completely free hit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    @LoOkOuT's having connection problems, so I'm subbing today courtesy of the BBCSport website. Headlines are 2 first half goals from Alfie May, Barnsley made it 1-1 via a penalty conceded due to a Kayne Ramsey handball, and Chuks had a penalty saved in second half injury time, after Tyreece Campbell was fouled.
    Final score 2-1 to us, and over to you for more about the game.
    Great performance 
  • Options
    That win means Fleetwood can’t pass us in the league. Worst case scenario is 22nd.

onwards and upwards 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    aliwibble said:
    Just out of interest, what's our record like when Ali Maxwell's been on Charlton TV? I have a vague feeling we've not lost when he's been on, but can't say for certain.
    always enjoy listening to him ... he knows his stuff
    Thought what he had to say about Barnsley’s front footed style was very revealing. Think they must’ve been involved in some very entertaining matches over the course of the season because they do indeed love to pour forward and create chances…

but equally that does leave them exposed at the back and that’s definitely what we were able to exploit with long balls into the channels for May, Kanu and Aneke to chase down.
  • Options
    The Ramsay/Small combination of wing backs looks very potent (albeit Ramsay very understandably looks like he's still got a little rust to shake off), May is the best striker weve had since Kermorgant (and much more prolific) and even much debated CB trio looked pretty solid.

Definitely some major upgrades and quality in depth needed in summer but it really does look like Jones might a saviour if he gets the backing (big IF though it may be.)
  • Options
    What a game, what an atmosphere!

Proper fight from all the players which was good to see. Hilarious seeing Barnsley lose their heads! Reminded me of when Luton came to the Valley under Bow and they all lost their heads. 

Every player magnificent but special shoutouts to May (obviously), Karoy, Kanu and Small. Tyreece and chucks were excellent when they came on. Should have had 4 or 5 but just couldn't put them away. Was so desperate for May to get his hat trick!

Wasn't confident about Chucks with the Pen, think he's just desperate to score as he hasn't scored this season.
    I believe Chuks did score a bullet header against Reading earlier this season.