Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley : Saturday 6th April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    What a game, what an atmosphere!

Proper fight from all the players which was good to see. Hilarious seeing Barnsley lose their heads! Reminded me of when Luton came to the Valley under Bow and they all lost their heads. 

Every player magnificent but special shoutouts to May (obviously), Karoy, Kanu and Small. Tyreece and chucks were excellent when they came on. Should have had 4 or 5 but just couldn't put them away. Was so desperate for May to get his hat trick!

Wasn't confident about Chucks with the Pen, think he's just desperate to score as he hasn't scored this season.
    I believe Chuks did score a bullet header against Reading earlier this season. 
    I stand corrected
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought it was an excellent all round team performance. The back five all did well, good to see Ramsay back, missed him once he went off. The midfield three all did well, good to see Anderson back, although both Cov and Dobbo had good games think we need to sacrifice one for a more attacking midfielder. Kanu worked his nuts off again and Alfie's was a 10/10 performance. Good cameos from Campbell and Chuks, thought the penalty was a very good save as opposed to a poor pen.

However good we were today we still need a major summer overhaul to make us serious contenders next season. One decent performance can't disguise the fact we are far from good enough.
    Don't tell them that, we need to repeat exactly the same mistakes we've made the last 3 seasons when we hit form at the end of the season. 
  • Options
    Thought it was an excellent all round team performance. The back five all did well, good to see Ramsay back, missed him once he went off. The midfield three all did well, good to see Anderson back, although both Cov and Dobbo had good games think we need to sacrifice one for a more attacking midfielder. Kanu worked his nuts off again and Alfie's was a 10/10 performance. Good cameos from Campbell and Chuks, thought the penalty was a very good save as opposed to a poor pen.

However good we were today we still need a major summer overhaul to make us serious contenders next season. One decent performance can't disguise the fact we are far from good enough.
    Its probably hypothetical anyway as presumably Dobson's departure will decide the issue but I don't see why Dobson and Coventry can' t play together. Coventry is already playing the deeper allowing Dobson to get forward and around the pitch more. It worked pretty well today.

What we are crying out for is a classy number 10. Although Karoy played there today and his energy around the field was terrific, his final pass or awareness on the ball just means he's not cut out for that role at the moment. Hopefully that will come in time but he's really  not ready yet. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

Few more additions and hopefully next season we'll be right up there. Jones doing a fantastic job. 
    And recently taken 5pts off the three ahead of us on form
  • Options
    Enjoyable game with both sides missing chances. May was outstanding today but Aneke was a bit wasteful.

I thought Dobson had a good game.
  • Options
    I thought they were the better team on the ball 1st half but when May is on form your always in it, but the 2nd halfwe were terrific on and off the ball and bossed the game, it was a shame Alfie didn’t get his hat trick as he was outstanding today.

• Options
    Friends watching on stream said the studio thought Hector gave away a pen second half, not given. Is that when all the kerfuffle happened? Was it a pen?
  • Options
    edited April 6
    ButtleJR said:

Few more additions and hopefully next season we'll be right up there. Jones doing a fantastic job. 
    Not doing to bad for a ‘rotten squad’ hey
    @SELR_addicks

Charlton Athletic

Not bad indeed. 
    Here’s a wacky out there thought. Maybe the biggest problem was mostly the previous manager, and not the quality of the squad overall.

In the last 10 games we’ve played 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th. Yet we are 4th in the form table for it. Not quite sure a ‘rotten squad’ would do that well regardless of the manager. 

Another question, do you still think Small and Ramsey are not wing backs?
    At the end of the season and we're still 'in form' 8 points behind Lincoln and 6 points behind Portsmouth in those 10 games. 

But yes this squad is definitely finishing top next year. 

Same mistakes every season. 

Potentially our worst league position in decades but the squad is definitely great and we don't need additions!

Enjoyed the win, shame people have to be obsessed and wait for the 1 win in 5 games to start talking nonsense and tagging me in it. 
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Friends watching on stream said the studio thought Hector gave away a pen second half, not given. Is that when all the kerfuffle happened? Was it a pen?
    Not for me it weren't.

The Ramsey hand ball was quite clear though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we were lucky to get away with one in the first half.
  • Options
    Some football at last.  
  • Options
    I think it's reflective of how shit this season has been, that it doesn't matter what Charlton are put in front of me at the moment I am bored within 15/20 mins of the game starting. No different today.

I feel utterly disconnected from the club and this team. Probably doesn't help that I can't be bothered to go to the Valley and watch all the games on Charlton TV.

Increasingly wondering whether the 44 year love affair is over?.

Played pretty well today, but think the ref missed two penalties for them, both "conceded" by Hector. Shame May hit the post and wasn't on for the penalty, I am pretty sure Aneke has missed the last 2 he has taken now?

IMO we are still 3/4 players short of genuinely challenging next season.