Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley : Saturday 6th April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    The squad can certainly be improved but the change of manager seems to have been the biggest issue to address. Assuming Jones stays and has some say over signings then I would hope we would be in with a shout of promotion.
  • Options
     One thing that surprised me was the lack of tykes supporters, considering they're in the play-off places and only lost one away all season, I thought they'd bring more than they did. 
    They were very quiet too, which was odd considering their away form and position in the table. The Stevenage fans were WAY louder.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    ButtleJR said:

Few more additions and hopefully next season we'll be right up there. Jones doing a fantastic job. 
    Not doing to bad for a ‘rotten squad’ hey
    @SELR_addicks

Charlton Athletic

Not bad indeed. 
    Here’s a wacky out there thought. Maybe the biggest problem was mostly the previous manager, and not the quality of the squad overall.

In the last 10 games we’ve played 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th. Yet we are 4th in the form table for it. Not quite sure a ‘rotten squad’ would do that well regardless of the manager. 

Another question, do you still think Small and Ramsey are not wing backs?
    At the end of the season and we're still 'in form' 8 points behind Lincoln and 6 points behind Portsmouth in those 10 games. 

But yes this squad is definitely finishing top next year. 

Same mistakes every season. 

Potentially our worst league position in decades but the squad is definitely great and we don't need additions!

Enjoyed the win, shame people have to be obsessed and wait for the 1 win in 5 games to start talking nonsense and tagging me in it. 
    Who said anything about us finishing top? Why does it have to be so extreme with you. 

You waited until we drew a couple of games, even though we are one of the most form teams in the league at the moment - having pretty much played most teams in the top 6 to claim that we have a ‘rotten squad’.

Do you think the squad was the major problem or that the previous manager was?

Also, you seemed to miss my other question. Do you think Small and Ramsey can’t play wing back?
    So you think the squad is good enough?
    I presume you are asking if I think this squad is good enough for promotion? At any point have I said they are?

If I was to have a view, I would say maybe no. I think we need a new GK, left wingback cover, 2 CBs, 3 CMs and another striker to really elevate the team.

My point is that SELR called the squad ‘rotten’ after we drew a couple of games, even though the evidence since the end of January since we got an actual decent manager is anything but. 

You don’t end up with the results we have had over the last 10 games, with the teams we played if the squad is ‘rotten’. Ultimately perhaps not good enough, but ‘rotten’. What do you think?

Fair enough. I think the squad is shit and needs an overhaul. We made a good start to the rebuild in January and need to continue that work in the summer. 8 new additions sounds about right. 
  • Options
    edited April 7
    clive said:
    These videos are useful and all that, but they keep doing this thing where they put ads for other stuff up for the last 20 seconds, so you can’t see what’s going on. Couldn’t see Chuks’ penalty in this one (so maybe that’s a blessing on this occasion?) I don’t know if there’s a way to clear the ads or something, but it’s pretty annoying when you can’t see the thing you want to watch because you’re forced to see something you don’t.
    Just need to make the vidéos with 20 seconds of replays at the end.

Many thanks to those who upload them however. Not all of us have access to Sky and it avoids being obliged to watch all the goals of other teams on TV just to see our goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talking of GKs, not sure about the Barnsley GK's position for May's free kick. Between him and the wall, seems the left side of the goal was completely open?
    It was the worst wall I've ever seen. From the NW I had a perfect view of the huge gap to the goalie's right. Alfie said thank you very much.
  • Options
     One thing that surprised me was the lack of tykes supporters, considering they're in the play-off places and only lost one away all season, I thought they'd bring more than they did. 
    They were very quiet too, which was odd considering their away form and position in the table. The Stevenage fans were WAY louder.
    It all comes down to expectations. 

I expected Barnsley to finish in the top two this season. I imagine that their fans are disappointed with their recent form. 

Stevenage however are the 3rd division equivalent of BHA. Their fans must be in dreamland.
  • Options
    What a game, credit to both sides. Barnsley always play decent football and were game as they come. Game could have finished 4-4  and it would have not been unfair. For me it was the Alfie May show, it all just clicked yesterday and George Dobson I imagine shut everyone up who is cool with him leaving in the summer by giving a display in switching play, being first the the ball, and setting an example in what desire and intent on the football pitch is 

Referee and the officials annoyed me and I'm pretty sure both sets of players and staff 

Loved the look of Ramsay and Small
  • Options
    Major said:
    was it just me who noticed how quickly Dobbo went down the tunnel when the covered end were singing about wanting him to stay? I don't get to many games so maybe he always does it. He seemed to almost kinda acknowledge it but at the same time swiftly exit while the rest of the team was still on the pitch taking in the applause... 
    Ever heard of a full bladder?
    Dobbo carried a child with him at the start of the match; I assume it was one of his own. I wonder if today was his last home match? There may have been some kind of deal with NJ: “play on until we’re safe” or such like.
    He was great today in a fantastic team performance. Scott needs to be fired, not only for failing to keep him under contract but for trying to get a few measly quid for him in Jan/Feb. We will miss him terribly next season.
    Where as I wouldn’t be shocked to seen him rotated out on Tuesday, he has been doing that for ages now - so I wouldn’t read to much into it. 

• Options
    Two points .. now it’s time to give young Casey a run with next season in mind .. second I think Barnsley manager suffering from memory loss blaming the ref .. remember Oakwell guys remember the ref there ? funny you never mentioned the big mistake on that day ?

• Options
    Major said:
    was it just me who noticed how quickly Dobbo went down the tunnel when the covered end were singing about wanting him to stay? I don't get to many games so maybe he always does it. He seemed to almost kinda acknowledge it but at the same time swiftly exit while the rest of the team was still on the pitch taking in the applause... 
    Dobbo carried a child with him at the start of the match; I assume it was one of his own. I wonder if today was his last home match? There may have been some kind of deal with NJ: “play on until we’re safe” or such like.
    He was great today in a fantastic team performance. Scott needs to be fired, not only for failing to keep him under contract but for trying to get a few measly quid for him in Jan/Feb. We will miss him terribly next season.
    Most of the players had their kids with them yesterday, don’t think there’s anything to be read into that personally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sometimes you need a bit of luck. Despite leading we were all at sea defensively first half with the back three not having a clue who should be marking who and resulting in many times a player able to get in behind and split the channel between two of them. Istead just doesn’t fill me with confidence either. 

With Cole hitting over from a yard, hitting the bar and other chances, easily in another game we could have been down and the Valley malaise continuing.

We tightened defensively second half, the commitment levels were really high, and Alfie provided us with actual quality. Tyreece showed a level of commitment that just hasn’t been in his game this season (bar Reading 2nd half) which was encouraging to see. 

Near the end the atmosphere reverted to a level that’s not been seen for a good six months. Lots of freebies there yesterday so if we are going to do that, it’s good when the crowd leaves positive and it’s enjoyable.

In fairness, I think Barnsley have steamroller ed a lot of sides this season, they certainly are no Derby County, their  style of play makes for an open and enjoyable game. 
  • Options
    What a good game that was! Great atmosphere as well.  Just a slight problem though, my brother had a 2-1 Charlton win with Alfie May first goal scorer.  Then we got a penalty?!  I wanted the penalty to go in (as we know all well what happens in the last ten minutes).  My brother wanted Chuks to miss, 'cos of his bloody bet!  Anyway, we all ended up happy.  
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Never let chucks take a penalty again
    I thought the penalty was quite well taken, it's not his fault the 'keeper guessed the right way.  Alfie's missed one or two, hasn't he?  We could do with someone like Clive, Mark Reid, Killer, or Bob Curtis who you'd back to score every time (even though, of course, even they didn't have perfect records).
    Or Yoni Buyens. His penalties were superb. 
    But at the time, I’m sure we had people moaning, that all he did was score penalties!
  • Options
    It all comes down to expectations. 

I expected Barnsley to finish in the top two this season. I imagine that their fans are disappointed with their recent form. 

Stevenage however are the 3rd division equivalent of BHA. Their fans must be in dreamland.
    I was surprised at their relatively low turnout but then thinking more about it I'd say their fans are simply biding time (and saving money) for the playoffs. They're not going to get autos and won't drop to 7th. Plus they've been a frequent visitor in recent years. 
  • Options
    Good to see you and @Len\'s_little_girl after a few years mate 
  • Options
    Finally an entertaining game that we deserved to win. Not a lot of hoof ball and much more passing and with good movement in the midfield and upfront. Alfie May outstanding and what a touch he has. Only one game I know which hopefully shows how we can play and compete near the top next season so long as NJ gets supported in the transfer window and a decent pre season.
  • Options
    Major said:
    Yes, ever since he signed for Fehervar, he's had a full bladder at the final whistle.
  • Options
    clive said:
    These videos are useful and all that, but they keep doing this thing where they put ads for other stuff up for the last 20 seconds, so you can’t see what’s going on. Couldn’t see Chuks’ penalty in this one (so maybe that’s a blessing on this occasion?) I don’t know if there’s a way to clear the ads or something, but it’s pretty annoying when you can’t see the thing you want to watch because you’re forced to see something you don’t.
    Just need to make the vidéos with 20 seconds of replays at the end.

Many thanks to those who upload them however. Not all of us have access to Sky and it avoids being obliged to watch all the goals of other teams on TV just to see our goals.
    You don't need access to Sky, just go their website.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11672/13108344/championship-league-one-and-league-two-live