Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley : Saturday 6th April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    The Ramsay/Small combination of wing backs looks very potent (albeit Ramsay very understandably looks like he's still got a little rust to shake off), May is the best striker weve had since Kermorgant (and much more prolific) and even much debated CB trio looked pretty solid.

Definitely some major upgrades and quality in depth needed in summer but it really does look like Jones might a saviour if he gets the backing (big IF though it may be.)
    I doubt he would be here if he hadn't been given assurances about rebuilding the squad.
    I agree. My question is more who made those assurances and are they actually able/willing to keep them. Charlie and his gang have past form for saying very sensible and encouraging things... that fail to actually transpire.
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Thought McAtee was very good for Barnsley - 24 y/o, on loan from Luton. Worth a sneaky bid in the summer if Luton stay up? Exactly the sort of player we don’t have in the squad right now.

Would imagine he’d be in his parent club’s plans if they were to get relegated though.
    McAtee is, as you say, a very good player .. he was instrumental in Grimsby getting back into the EFL a couple of years ago with play off wins over Wrexham then v Solihull Moors in the final.
    I suspect that Luton will want him back irrespective of where they are next season, though he can be a bit lightweight when faced with tough marking and tackling, there again, a while ago so was Ivan Toney
  • Options
    Enjoyable watch after the utterly turgid affair that was the Stevenage game. Rightfully felt like a whole bunch of them got a deserved rollicking from NJ after that and we did get a better performance today against one of the stronger teams in the league. Results like this are what we will need week in, week out to challenge next year.

Really glad we managed to get through the game to get the 3 points, as it was a solid team and squad performance. Concerns still, however, remain about the quality of the defensive unit going into next season, the need for invention and industry in midfield and the massive dependence we have on Alfie for goals. We should have been punished for the mistakes at the back and really rode our luck. The midfield three gave a hell of a lot today, but the goal contributions as mentioned elsewhere and the creativity/control/distribution still probably necessitates better players. Against the shithouse teams in this league, we're also going to need another Chuks equivalent that can consistently play week in, week out.

Proud of the performance and loved the crowd uplift in the last few minutes. The jumpscare of flirting with the relegation battle is now all gone, getting to 50 points. Cautiously optimistic that, if NJ is backed, we could have a good run next season. However, this squad (like so many previous seasons) needs wholesale changes once again. I think NJ is only too aware of this, so we'll see what the summer brings.
  • Options
    We hold the record and that stands at 

Fancy being second in a two horse race.
  • Options
    Really pleased to be wrong, I thought that Barnsley would JUST edge this one. All augers well for next season, provided we can keep together the vital core of the current squad
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    @LoOkOuT's having connection problems, so I'm subbing today courtesy of the BBCSport website. Headlines are 2 first half goals from Alfie May, Barnsley made it 1-1 via a penalty conceded due to a Kayne Ramsey handball, and Chuks had a penalty saved in second half injury time, after Tyreece Campbell was fouled.
    Final score 2-1 to us, and over to you for more about the game.
    Great performance 
  • Options
    Played well, good win, got to say looking forward to next season, 
    provided NJ is backed , next season the Millwall hoodoo will be broken 🤜
  • Options
    Lower league football as it should be.
    Good, bad and entertaining with the added pinch of "next season optimism"
    A perfect day out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should have put that penalty away but it didn't spoil a good win
    Well done you Reds 😎
  • Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else think Alfies second might have taken a slight deflection off a Barnsley head ?   Saw a close up clip earlier, thought it was Sky Sports but it isn't, will try & find it.
    Why bother? 😊
  • Options
    Thought McAtee was very good for Barnsley - 24 y/o, on loan from Luton. Worth a sneaky bid in the summer if Luton stay up? Exactly the sort of player we don’t have in the squad right now.

Would imagine he’d be in his parent club’s plans if they were to get relegated though.
    Yep - agreed - I thought he looks a tasty player, always a threat - hated it when he was on the ball = good player 
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Talal said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Friends watching on stream said the studio thought Hector gave away a pen second half, not given. Is that when all the kerfuffle happened? Was it a pen?
    No. They only had one penalty. (It was a massive dive. I think the ref did well to spot quite a few dives by them). 
    Hector was lucky first half though, thought that was definitely going to be given. 
    They went down too easily all over the pitch. Love it when they’re not given. Thought the ref might book him. Although I’m thinking of the second half. Don’t remember one in the first. 
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    ........ Concerns still, however, remain about the quality of the defensive unit going into next season, the need for invention and industry in midfield and the massive dependence we have on Alfie for goals. 
    So apart from that, next season should be a piece of piss 😀.
  • Options
    Thought Anderson had a great game today.
    Energy levels back to their best. If he can keep that level up for a full season we might have a sniff.
  • Options
    Great Result should have been 4-1 
    I also think we have a great young manager 
    who knows his job COYR  👍👍👍👍👍
  • Options
    edited April 6
    JamesSeed said:
    Talal said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Friends watching on stream said the studio thought Hector gave away a pen second half, not given. Is that when all the kerfuffle happened? Was it a pen?
    No. They only had one penalty. (It was a massive dive. I think the ref did well to spot quite a few dives by them). 
    Hector was lucky first half though, thought that was definitely going to be given. 
    They went down too easily all over the pitch. Love it when they’re not given. Thought the ref might book him. Although I’m thinking of the second half. Don’t remember one in the first. 
    The first half one was definitely a "soft, but seen them given" incident. I thought the one in the second half it looked like the blokes foot slipped out from under him, but it wasn't conclusive if that was because Hector had booted it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Barnsley were on top first half , hit the bar missed from 2 yards out and thankfully our magic man who can ping a football (unlike the rest of the duffers) ping’d two beauties in .
    i thought the atmosphere was flat till the game got feisty later on , loved it when they scored and it was offside and all the divvy northerners were celebrating, I think I was jumping up and down taking the piss for ages like a demented wanker crank
    Chuks penalty was too near the keeper and he was always saving that once he guessed the right way .
    Tyreece campbell put more power, strength and Graft in that cameo than he has done in his previous half dozen games combined , brilliant effort .
    Hector was having words/signals with Barnsley fans at the end of the match then him and one of their players got at it , what was that all about ?
    I think in the last minute or so there was 3 or 4 scuffs , muffs , duffs in trying to kick the fucking football … brilliant result but soooo much ponage out there

Most of this team wouldn't look out of place fucking up the crossbar challenge , no one seems to be able to kick the fucking ball properly with any consistency (Alfie May apart)

a bit of a chance not to finish in our worst position in 98 years come on you reds 

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    Just out of interest, what's our record like when Ali Maxwell's been on Charlton TV? I have a vague feeling we've not lost when he's been on, but can't say for certain.
    FYI @aliwibble he’s unbeaten https://x.com/alimaxwell_/status/1776706516541731012?s=46&t=MojDVxh_AjG5taAWPQn6Tw
  • Options
    was it just me who noticed how quickly Dobbo went down the tunnel when the covered end were singing about wanting him to stay? I don't get to many games so maybe he always does it. He seemed to almost kinda acknowledge it but at the same time swiftly exit while the rest of the team was still on the pitch taking in the applause... 
  • Options
    Really enjoyable day.  Jones has turned us into a difficult side to beat.  Alfie May is a future Charlton cult hero.  Was tempted to buy one of the Alfie May picture scarfs being flogged on the stall outside then realised I'm a middle aged man and it would be weird.

Hopefully will build a competitive team this summer for Jones to do the business with next year.
    Let your love for player and club express itself anyway you want !
  • Options
    edited April 6
    PWR

That was good. Unexpected, and I don't know if I'm going against the grain but I was impressed. Alfie clearly had a decent sleep last night. He has such skill and energy, trapping several balls from height and different angles that were met with gasps of appreciation from the crowd.

We had a couple of let offs- Cole got tripped by Hector as he went to shoot and the ref ignored it. He then had a chance which i think Thomas did enough to put him off from a yard out. Cole also later screwed up his free header. Not popular that lad in Barnsley but fine by me.

Anderson was another that kept going and his effort produced mistakes and often helped keep pressure off.

No lemons today. The first mistake I recall seeing came on 62 minutes when Gillesphey I think misplaced a pace slightly that Dobson couldn't keep in play. Those are the type of errors that I'm used to seeing throughout the game at league 1 level but not today.

The defending seemed solid too though there were times when our defenders seemed to find it hard to get off the ground while Barnsley players constantly beat them to headers in our own box in some spells. However Small and Ramsay' s eagerness to get forward was refreshing and gave us good shape and kept the game flowing. Small's passion for defending is great to see. Spotted him celebrating one of his tackles late on. Love that.

• Options
    I'm glad I voted for Alfie May for POTY. Those attempts from outside the box were outrageous.

The children at halftime were so enthusiastic and skillful, specially the younger group, it added extra spring to my step on the way home. The future bodes well for the academy I think.
  • Options
    He's old, his wages would be too expensive, but he's out of contract in the summer, Barry Bannan. If ever there was a baller that could do a job to sort out our midfield, he would be great. 
    Fuck off