Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley : Saturday 6th April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Two things for me…I bloody love NJ and Alfie May. Some proper football people at the club. Enjoy both while we have them. I suspect one day both will feature in ‘all time greats’ lists on here.
    Next season is going to be good. 
  • Options
    Great entertaining game. Great result. Alfie may total star. I think Nathan Jones has definitely improved our defence. Thought Coventry was the weak link in our midfield; there’s no sense of urgency about him.
  • Options
    Thought we played really well and deserved the win. We really should have scored more, gutted for Chuks at the end 
  • Options
    A miles better game than Stevenage, as Barnsley were far more attacking, and far more open at the back. 5-4 might have been a better reflection of the game when you consider some of the chances missed at both ends.

May excellent, Dobson really good in a more attacking role than usual, his best game for weeks.

Was Thomas injured when he went off, as if he was a bit weird to them do the tunnel jump  :D
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    ButtleJR said:

Few more additions and hopefully next season we'll be right up there. Jones doing a fantastic job. 
    Not doing to bad for a ‘rotten squad’ hey
    @SELR_addicks

Charlton Athletic

Not bad indeed. 
    Here’s a wacky out there thought. Maybe the biggest problem was mostly the previous manager, and not the quality of the squad overall.

In the last 10 games we’ve played 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th. Yet we are 4th in the form table for it. Not quite sure a ‘rotten squad’ would do that well regardless of the manager. 

Another question, do you still think Small and Ramsey are not wing backs?
    It's both. Jones is by far the best manager we've had in years, that's pretty clear. But even a good manager getting the best out of this squad is not realistically going to get much above upper-midtable. 

There's seeds of better in there (May, Small, maybe Ramsay and Coventry too) but a lot of improvements need making for this to become a squad that gets promoted by anyone.

The goalkeeper situation needs revamping urgently. The CBs are decent but not great. There's little quality cover at WB. Our most inspirational midfielder is off to Hungary in a few weeks. Up front we have players who are very potent when fit, but require meticulous planning and copious luck to actually BE fit.

We're currently doing about as well as we can do in the circumstances but "as well as we can" will NOT get us promoted. We need to be doing much better and Jones will know that.
    Don’t get me wrong, I still think we certainly need to improve on some of the players we have in the squad next season - and it’s silly to not think so.

But that being said, currently under a new manager this squad, after playing 4 of the top 6 in the last 10 games, are 4th in the form table.

So my point is, is the current squad we have ‘rotten’? Or was much of the reason we were down where we were most of this season mainly due to the poor managerial appointment that was made.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great for Alfie with another brace. 

Even with him next season, it is vital we bring in other players that can score goals too. Even several players on 5-4 goals would be great, as after Alfie, Blackett-Taylor, Kanu, and Miles, I imagine rest of players are stuck on 1-2 league goals. 
  • Options
    Thought McAtee was very good for Barnsley - 24 y/o, on loan from Luton. Worth a sneaky bid in the summer if Luton stay up? Exactly the sort of player we don’t have in the squad right now.

Would imagine he’d be in his parent club’s plans if they were to get relegated though.
    Agreed, thought he was excellent, definitely their best player. Can see him in the Championship next season with Luton or otherwise.
  • Options
    That’s better!  An enjoyable game for a change. Good to get a win.  Barnsley disappointed. Just shows what should have been possible this season. Almost the perfect performance by Alfie (but for that corner!!). Not quite sure what the point was of bringing Wickham and Lua Lua in if they are not going to be played but that’s a minor gripe. Neither will be here next season. Relegation fears a distant memory. 
  • Options
    What excellent game of football played by both teams .. the conditions were terrible which made our back 3 performance today as top drawer .. but it was a real old fashioned battle one we really should have wrapped up … but it’s 3 points and an excellent all round team performance.. …… the ref was shocking not sure how he gave the pen when he could not see it from where he was … but the team spirit today and playing for each other was top drawer 

MOM can’t separate them Thomas , Hector and Gilly 
    To be fair, you call the ref shocking every week. I thought that apart from a 5 min spell first half, the ref was very good. Defo one of the better ones this season.

both pens were the correct call and he let the game flow. 
  • Options
    Friends watching on stream said the studio thought Hector gave away a pen second half, not given. Is that when all the kerfuffle happened? Was it a pen?
    It looked like a dive from I was sat. The guy was looking for it and made a meal of it. If it was a pen, the theatrics persuaded the ref not to give it
  • Options
    What excellent game of football played by both teams .. the conditions were terrible which made our back 3 performance today as top drawer .. but it was a real old fashioned battle one we really should have wrapped up … but it’s 3 points and an excellent all round team performance.. …… the ref was shocking not sure how he gave the pen when he could not see it from where he was … but the team spirit today and playing for each other was top drawer 

MOM can’t separate them Thomas , Hector and Gilly 
    To be fair, you call the ref shocking every week. I thought that apart from a 5 min spell first half, the ref was very good. Defo one of the better ones this season.

both pens were the correct call and he let the game flow. 
    I thought the ref gave a number of soft fouls. The Curbs stand lino made a number of borderline offside decisions too.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    The Ramsay/Small combination of wing backs looks very potent (albeit Ramsay very understandably looks like he's still got a little rust to shake off), May is the best striker weve had since Kermorgant (and much more prolific) and even much debated CB trio looked pretty solid.

Definitely some major upgrades and quality in depth needed in summer but it really does look like Jones might a saviour if he gets the backing (big IF though it may be.)
    I doubt he would be here if he hadn't been given assurances about rebuilding the squad.
  • Options
    Major said:
    50 points & safe.

About all I can say about this season.

Roll on 24/25. 

golfaddick said:
    Not going to be a good season next year. Carlisle relegated & we could be playing Millwall twice. 

Make your mind up, man.
    I think he means if Millwall come down we can historically write off six points and we normally get promoted at Carlisle who won't be in our league next season.
    I got that, Large - but next comment is 'Roll on 24/25'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 6
    Friends watching on stream said the studio thought Hector gave away a pen second half, not given. Is that when all the kerfuffle happened? Was it a pen?
    No. They only had one penalty. (It was a massive dive. I think the ref did well to spot quite a few dives by them). 
  • Options
    Pwr at the game. I don't think they had a single proper opportunity in the second half. Felt like we bossed it and I've never felt so comfortable with the one goal lead all season never felt like they were going to equalise. Probably should have been 4-1
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Is it just me or does anyone else think Alfies second might have taken a slight deflection off a Barnsley head ?   Saw a close up clip earlier, thought it was Sky Sports but it isn't, will try & find it.
  • Options
    Under Appleton both Thomas and Hector looked like an accident waiting to happen 
    Now I'm not suggesting they now look world beaters but they both look far better than they did.
    I put this down to NJ and his coaching staff.
    Really looking forward to next season. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    No. They only had one penalty. (It was a massive dive. I think the ref did well to spot quite a few dives by them). 
    Hector was lucky first half though, thought that was definitely going to be given.