Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley : Saturday 6th April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    was it just me who noticed how quickly Dobbo went down the tunnel when the covered end were singing about wanting him to stay? I don't get to many games so maybe he always does it. He seemed to almost kinda acknowledge it but at the same time swiftly exit while the rest of the team was still on the pitch taking in the applause... 
    Ever heard of a full bladder?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    We would have lost that had we conceded more goals than them.
    When it went to 1-1, I thought "One more each and we'll be level".
  • Options
    Never let chucks take a penalty again
    I thought the penalty was quite well taken, it's not his fault the 'keeper guessed the right way.  Alfie's missed one or two, hasn't he?  We could do with someone like Clive, Mark Reid, Killer, or Bob Curtis who you'd back to score every time (even though, of course, even they didn't have perfect records).
  • Options
    I thought the penalty was quite well taken, it's not his fault the 'keeper guessed the right way.  Alfie's missed one or two, hasn't he?  We could do with someone like Clive, Mark Reid, Killer, or Bob Curtis who you'd back to score every time (even though, of course, even they didn't have perfect records).
    It did lack guile and disguise. Not that the YouTube video above will help view that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The game was a world away from crap served up on BH Monday.

Anderson brought plenty of energy to the midfield and Barnsley ĺeft enough players forward to leave a few gaps behind them.

A new feature was Dobson making plenty of off the ball runs into the left channel, which served to stretch Barnsley. His dummy in just such an advanced position for May's 2nd was very clever. 

May was brilliant from the moment he took down that really high ball on the right touchline. Had the 3rd gone in from either of his second half efforts, it would probably have been the best quality Charlton hat-trick I'd ever seen.

A little bit sad to see we've joined the ranks of the rolling around brigade. Some of the falling over was pantomime stuff.

Overall, it was entertaining stuff. 
  • Options
    That's us safe, even if not quite mathematically. Here's hoping the work on a team rebuild, can now get moving at pace. Interesting that only Lapado and Bakinson have been fixtures on the team sheet whilst the other loanee's, Camara and Watson have been tried and left out, whilst Terry Taylor hasn't made the bench. Nathan Jones has set up a team that has a harder edge to it, a lot more managers are going to play Charlton and moan about not getting this decision or that Charlton are in 'your face'. There are a number of players, now out on loan, who's futures lie away from the Valley, my count is seven, at least to go. Decisions must me made on offering contracts to Lua Lua, Wickham and Small, the last one is a no brainer in my opinion, and with the way Jones sets the team up, we might not need wholesale changes, maybe three incoming. Seems to me that if you don't fit the way Jones wants the team to play then you don't have future under him, and with all this in mind, I will be renewing my season ticket this week. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    It was a good save for the pen but somewhat strange that Chuks missed. I can’t remember the last time there would have been less pressure (other than personal) for a penalty to be converted. It was a completely free hit.
    I thought he looked nervous, replacing the ball on the spot several times. I think he hit the post last pen he took, or it was parried and Alfie scored?
    Anyway the shift he put in and fight he showed did a hell of a lot to get us over the line. (also credit to TC for winning the pen)
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    It was a good save for the pen but somewhat strange that Chuks missed. I can’t remember the last time there would have been less pressure (other than personal) for a penalty to be converted. It was a completely free hit.
    I thought he looked nervous, replacing the ball on the spot several times. I think he hit the post last pen he took, or it was parried and Alfie scored?
    Anyway the shift he put in and fight he showed did a hell of a lot to get us over the line. (also credit to TC for winning the pen)
    Yes, I had a bad feeling watching him prepare to take. Lis in the studio had a more articulate reflection on it. Said his approach to the ball was quite straight and so  he could tell in advance he was going right. Feel sorry for Chuks though, he so desperately wants a goal, and he was obviously gutted he didnt convert the rebound from Alfie’s shot that hit the bar. 

Thought that was the best performance of the season all round, by some distance. Very promising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One problem for me is the GK position, AMB, started as an Ok keeper, not the best but ok. His form fell pretty fast. Now we have Isted , looking all at sea. 
    Got to be a coaching thing.
    If we want to push on we certainly need to address the GK position and the coaches 
  • Options
    clive said:
    These videos are useful and all that, but they keep doing this thing where they put ads for other stuff up for the last 20 seconds, so you can’t see what’s going on. Couldn’t see Chuks’ penalty in this one (so maybe that’s a blessing on this occasion?) I don’t know if there’s a way to clear the ads or something, but it’s pretty annoying when you can’t see the thing you want to watch because you’re forced to see something you don’t.
    Agree. It effectively forces you back to Sky to watch the same highlights.
  • Options
    Well, there will be a perfect penalty taker available to coach the skill from next season. Mr Taylor anyone?
  • Options
    I hope the bloke having a rant in the Curbishley Stand toilets at half-time felt calmer at the end of the match. After washing my hands, I stood close to him and my hands dried a lot quicker than normal.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

Few more additions and hopefully next season we'll be right up there. Jones doing a fantastic job. 
    Not doing to bad for a ‘rotten squad’ hey
    @SELR_addicks

Charlton Athletic

Not bad indeed. 
    Here’s a wacky out there thought. Maybe the biggest problem was mostly the previous manager, and not the quality of the squad overall.

In the last 10 games we’ve played 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th. Yet we are 4th in the form table for it. Not quite sure a ‘rotten squad’ would do that well regardless of the manager. 

Another question, do you still think Small and Ramsey are not wing backs?
    At the end of the season and we're still 'in form' 8 points behind Lincoln and 6 points behind Portsmouth in those 10 games. 

But yes this squad is definitely finishing top next year. 

Same mistakes every season. 

Potentially our worst league position in decades but the squad is definitely great and we don't need additions!

Enjoyed the win, shame people have to be obsessed and wait for the 1 win in 5 games to start talking nonsense and tagging me in it. 
    Who said anything about us finishing top? Why does it have to be so extreme with you. 

You waited until we drew a couple of games, even though we are one of the most form teams in the league at the moment - having pretty much played most teams in the top 6 to claim that we have a ‘rotten squad’.

Do you think the squad was the major problem or that the previous manager was?

Also, you seemed to miss my other question. Do you think Small and Ramsey can’t play wing back?
    So you think the squad is good enough?
  • Options
  • Options
    Still buzzing after yesterday. My son decided not to bother coming, as we were obviously going to lose, so I gave his ticket to a mate of mine. Son watched it on TV and was gutted he missed not being there. I thought the ref was awful. You could tell right from the off that he was looking to making himself the star of the show, but at least he wasnt biased. The penalty against us looked harsh, as I don't think his arm was in an unnatural position and it was hit straight at him. No blame from me for chuks penalty miss, as he placed it well, but good save from GK. Really entertaining to see us rolling out the shithousery for the last 15 minutes, which really rattled Barnsley. One thing that surprised me was the lack of tykes supporters, considering they're in the play-off places and only lost one away all season, I thought they'd bring more than they did.