Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• The window has been open less than one day, I'm surprised Ronnie hasn't been on here spitting feathers...😉
  • Chunes said:
    Just wary that "with better players around him..." has been used for every underperforming midfield player of recent years. If you're that good you nearly always stand out on your own.

I'm hopeful he'll improve but at the same time, don't think he'd be here if Jones was already in building. 
    I agree with you.
    He's not who Jones would have signed. 
    But he's here so Jones has to find out how to get the best out of him.
    Like Alfie May then ?
  • No huge transfers today then? Oh well saving all the joy for a huge announcement day.
  • Chunes said:
    Just wary that "with better players around him..." has been used for every underperforming midfield player of recent years. If you're that good you nearly always stand out on your own.

I'm hopeful he'll improve but at the same time, don't think he'd be here if Jones was already in building. 
    I agree with you.
    Like Alfie May then ?
    Yes.
    I would not sell May under any circumstances. 
    Unless someone offered a couple of million of course. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    In the minority, but I wouldn’t be devastated if May goes. I have total faith in Jones and trust his judgment and decision making. 
    I support Charlton Athletic, not Alfie May. 
    It's a bit early to say you have total faith in Jones. 
    Like you and everyone else I hope he proves to be a great success. 
    But it's too early to say I have total faith.
    If May leaves he better have a good replacement lined up.
    But so many are totally invested in Nathan Jones and have been for a long time.  Any questioning of his judgment now would bring it all crashing down.
    Successful sides always sell their best players ;)
  • edited June 14
    If we put better players around Coventry then he will likely be dropped as we will have better players.

Will be like the 12 days of Christmas from Monday, need an average of a player a day to the 27th to have a full squad...maybe more if we keep selling the better ones.
  • I shared info about Alfie May being dropped to the bench for the Bolton game which I got from a very close source 6 hours before kick off.

I am seeing that source at 9am tomorrow, I’ll get as much as I can out of him.  

Usual disclaimers - no I’m not lying, I’m not after likes, I’m not revealing the source, it won’t be shared bang on 9am probably an hour or so after.  
    Don't forget please.
  • JamesSeed said:
    I think Lloyd Jones is a good CB, had a poor month or so in January but was arguably our best defender up until that. 
    He’s great in the air, but not great on the deck. Can also be caught out positional. Needs someone alongside him to learn from. 
    He’s 28, I think if he hasn’t learnt it by now it’s probably too late. I think he was generally okay last season but unfortunately we were all over the place defensively so it’s hard to judge.
  • So, 13 days until the squad report for pre season training, 13 days until the point where NJ said he wanted the squad rebuilding completed, or very nearly completed. We are a long way off that point. Lots of murmurings but so far one actual signing. I just hope this isn’t another false dawn.

With regard to Alfie May and his possible departure. On the face of it, it seems bizarre. However, I don’t think Alfie really fits into the system NJ wants to play and he was subbed off a number of games towards the back end of last season, and Alfie himself didn’t seem happy.

It’s a big call for NJ and he will live or die by it. If he thinks we have a better chance of promotion with players who he feels are better suited to his system then so be it. If selling Alfie means we can sign one or two strikers who NJ feels are better suited then it makes some sort of sense. If we sell Alfie and the money isn’t reinvested into the squad then it’s madness.

The clock is ticking. Talking the talk is fine, time to start walking the walk, and quickly.
    We've bought a reserve goalkeeper 
    That's a start. 

I agree by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:

He will sink or swim by his decision making, all we can hope for as fans is he gets it right, regardless of how controversial or odd it may seem now.
    We Sell May  We get relegated. Jones gets sacked. We are stuck in League 2 for God knows how long & Jones gets a job 6 months later managing a Championship team. 

Yes...we all sink or swim by stupid decisions. Just some come up for air sooner than others.
    One of the biggest overreactions I’ve ever seen. There’s been clear talk of a big squad re-haul, the same players from last year will not be starting or even in the squad. So examples of previous years don’t really reflect where we’re going.
    We’ve been saying that for most of the past 15 years.  Losing the best goalscorer we have had in many a year brings with it the possibility of a downside, and we have flirted with relegation the last 2 years.  If you add the word might in between get and relegated everything in that post is not an overreaction, rather that we could suffer for years and Jones will be fine.  Ask stoke and southampton.
  • You know how this whole thing is gonna end...
    Like London busses, we'll wait all day, and then three will turn up at the same time...🚌🚌🚌
  • I shared info about Alfie May being dropped to the bench for the Bolton game which I got from a very close source 6 hours before kick off.

I am seeing that source at 9am tomorrow, I’ll get as much as I can out of him.  

Usual disclaimers - no I’m not lying, I’m not after likes, I’m not revealing the source, it won’t be shared bang on 9am probably an hour or so after.  
    Don't forget please.
    And blow my five minutes of fame being a CL ITK, wouldn’t dream of it..
  • So, 13 days until the squad report for pre season training, 13 days until the point where NJ said he wanted the squad rebuilding completed, or very nearly completed. We are a long way off that point. Lots of murmurings but so far one actual signing. I just hope this isn’t another false dawn.

With regard to Alfie May and his possible departure. On the face of it, it seems bizarre. However, I don’t think Alfie really fits into the system NJ wants to play and he was subbed off a number of games towards the back end of last season, and Alfie himself didn’t seem happy.

It’s a big call for NJ and he will live or die by it. If he thinks we have a better chance of promotion with players who he feels are better suited to his system then so be it. If selling Alfie means we can sign one or two strikers who NJ feels are better suited then it makes some sort of sense. If we sell Alfie and the money isn’t reinvested into the squad then it’s madness.

The clock is ticking. Talking the talk is fine, time to start walking the walk, and quickly.
    By how close the linked players sound I can imagine 4/5 in by the time they’re back for pre season, how many more we expecting after that ?

Spot on Large. I'm pretty sure Alfie is off. It will probably happen as our new signing from Swindon is announced to much fanfare.
  • Yann897 said:
    So, 13 days until the squad report for pre season training, 13 days until the point where NJ said he wanted the squad rebuilding completed, or very nearly completed. We are a long way off that point. Lots of murmurings but so far one actual signing. I just hope this isn’t another false dawn.

By how close the linked players sound I can imagine 4/5 in by the time they’re back for pre season, how many more we expecting after that ?
    At least the same again.
  • CafcSCP said:
    I love the shooting down of Coventry.
    you can be sure that we didn’t see the best of him last season. NJ played an ugly brand of football to keep us up.
    He’s hardly played for us.
    if the new signings are at a level we expect then we will se a much better player I’m sure.

I'm excited to see how Coventry shapes up next season. I think he has the potential to be a key player under Nathan Jones.
  • CafcSCP said:
    I love the shooting down of Coventry.
    you can be sure that we didn’t see the best of him last season. NJ played an ugly brand of football to keep us up.
    He’s hardly played for us.
    if the new signings are at a level we expect then we will se a much better player I’m sure.

I'm excited to see how Coventry shapes up next season. I think he has the potential to be a key player under Nathan Jones.
    He better, looks like we're really going to need him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ferryman said:
    £1.5M for Alfie, but priceless for us to get of this division. 
    Assuming any of its reinvested into the team and even if it is, it would have to be used wisely. The track record of transfers, besides May ironically, is dismal. 
  • Million pounds strikers have been around for 45 years .... he's not that special.  Use the money to improve the centrebacks and midfield ..... please 🙏 
  • Ferryman said:
    £1.5M for Alfie, but priceless for us to get of this division. 
    Priceless?

There’s been nine teams promoted in the last three years of Alfie being in this league and none of them had him in it.

I like him. And I’m not saying he’s holding us back.

But our chances of actually achieving anything as a football club are not joined to Alfie May’s hip.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I mean getting out of this division would be priceless to us as a club, I really think we could progress.

Need Alfie to get out.

• Can someone (@Stig ? ) redo our badge with a silhouette of something shooting themselves in the foot replacing the hand and sword?
  • You know how this whole thing is gonna end...
    Like London busses, we'll wait all day, and then three will turn up at the same time...🚌🚌🚌
    I was on a London bus recently & it stopped for 5 mins so that the service could be "spaced out better".

Grrrr
  • Chunes said:

I agree with you.
    Like Alfie May then ?
    Yes.
    I would not sell May under any circumstances. 
    Unless someone offered a couple of million of course. 
    So what you mean to say is ..." There are circumstances under which I would indeed sell Alfie May". 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!