Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• We still need a captain on the pitch. I always favour a centre back for that role but Mitchell is a bit too young at the moment. 
    Potentially a fully fit and confident Jones?
  • Captain is an interesting one , I expect it will ultimately end up being someone we sign as I don't really see any standout candidates in players that are currently at the club. Wonder if Luke Berry could be an option?
  • NJ doesn't fancy May.....you could see that with all the substitutions at the end of the season........would be crazy to let him go to a competitor in L1 though
  • We still need a captain on the pitch. I always favour a centre back for that role but Mitchell is a bit too young at the moment. 
    I think it'll be Berry. 
  • ct_addick said:
    NJ doesn't fancy May.....you could see that with all the substitutions at the end of the season........would be crazy to let him go to a competitor in L1 though
    Didn't fancy him in that squad. Surely you build a team around May with the summer rebuild?
  • J BLOCK said:
    In the minority, but I wouldn’t be devastated if May goes. I have total faith in Jones and trust his judgment and decision making. 
    I support Charlton Athletic, not Alfie May. 
    It's a bit early to say you have total faith in Jones. 
    Like you and everyone else I hope he proves to be a great success. 
    But it's too early to say I have total faith.
    If May leaves he better have a good replacement lined up.
    But so many are totally invested in Nathan Jones and have been for a long time.  Any questioning of his judgment now would bring it all crashing down.
  • ct_addick said:
    NJ doesn't fancy May.....you could see that with all the substitutions at the end of the season........would be crazy to let him go to a competitor in L1 though
    Not sure it's that, I think he feels he is changing things too affect the game and if he feels May isn't doing what he needs then so be it. He's paid to make those decisions and Jones does deserve a degree of trust. 
  • ct_addick said:
    Clearly there’s something in this but the subs themselves don’t tell us much. It looks like we’ll stick with 3-5-2 and even if we have four strikers perfect for NJs style it wouldn’t be surprising to see two on the bench regularly replace the two starting. It gives them all game time and makes it easier for the team to press aggressively for the whole game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do people genuinely think that we'll sell May? Unless the bid is £1mill there is no possible calculation in my head to get rid that makes any sense whatsoever.

NJ is a big personality who stamps his authority on sides historically, but he's not a fool. Selling a guaranteed goal return to a rival for £200k makes no sense to anyone at Charlton surely
    had a glance at a Huddersfield site with someone saying they've offered £800k and we want £1.5m, they seemed to think something of £1m+ would get him

• Heard one of our goalies signed for Sheffield Utd not who you would expect though 
    Mannion
    Potentially a fully fit and confident Jones?
    But is Jones a shoe in for first 11 ?
  • Chunes said:
    Don't think Huddersfield would be coming back with a second bid if Alfie was not for sale. 
    Everyone has a price. Huddersfield are free to keep bidding and we'll keep rejecting unless the money gets silly
  • If my recollection is correct, didn’t we sign Alfie for £250k ? What amount would make CAFC consider selling May given that a guaranteed 27 goals are going to cost at least £750k and then with the risk of possibly not working out. Will be a brave decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do people genuinely think that we'll sell May? Unless the bid is £1mill there is no possible calculation in my head to get rid that makes any sense whatsoever.

NJ is a big personality who stamps his authority on sides historically, but he's not a fool. Selling a guaranteed goal return to a rival for £200k makes no sense to anyone at Charlton surely
    had a glance at a Huddersfield site with someone saying they've offered £800k and we want £1.5m, they seemed to think something of £1m+ would get him

If they are lets take the money and invest it wisely.
    Hmmm......with Andy Scott in charge 🤔.

• We have just had our lowest league finish in 100 years, and I am sure we all agree that things have to change.

I certainly don't want May to go, and his 23 goals last season were priceless .

However the team weren't good enough, and something has to change.

if Nathan can build a team that plays hi tempo attacking football, where goals don't just come from one player, but they come from all areas of the team we will become at least a top 6 team.

However if Alfie's style of play doesn't fit in with NJ's vision for the team, then something has to give.

What happens if Nathan keeps Alfie and the team plays to Alfie's strengths, and suddenly Alfie gets injured. Suddenly we are well and truly fu**ed.

I for one am trusting Nathan Jones to get it right.

I’m in total agreement with 99% of this.

things did need to change after our lowest league position in a century. However, is changing the one bright spark a good idea?
  • If my recollection is correct, didn’t we sign Alfie for £250k ? What amount would make CAFC consider selling May given that a guaranteed 27 goals are going to cost at least £750k and then with the risk of possibly not working out. Will be a brave decision.
    Or a stupid one .
  • What happened to this boatload of signings we were suggested to be announcing today??? Last minute impromptu holidays??? 
  • What happened to this boatload of signings we were suggested to be announcing today??? Last minute impromptu holidays??? 
    It's 3pm
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!