Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Huddersfield forum saying they've bid again, could be their version of RM though
  • I wonder if other teams fans go into meltdown when we make a bid for one of their players?
  • edited June 14
    Would the Mitchell signing be a replacement for Jones the defender, or Hector / Thomas?
  • Sponsored links:

• Given Jones was in talks to take over that lot not a surprise to see us buying Mitchell, you’d imagine he’d assessed their squad in depth. Lincoln fans seem positive so I’m optimistic 
  • The whole business plan for these investors, or any tbh, only works if we get out of L1 asap. 
    You only sell May, imo, if overall the money enables you to buy other key players that brings that closer than having a 20 goal plus striker. 

If they sell him for cash as they see it as value, that’s a mistake imo as a false economy if it reduces the chance of promotion, they will lose more in the long term with an extended stay at this level than the make from the sale.

Although the ideal is keep him and get other key players in but have to balance that with some realism.
    So I’d be ok with if the sale enabled bringing in already identified players that notably upgrade the team. Not if an opportunist sale to turn a short term profit. 
    I hope and believe NJ wouldn’t be here if the latter were the approach, so will trust the process. 

• edited June 14
    Just heard a rumour from @ronniemoore

True or False?
  • Major said:
    Billyboy said:
    Billyboy said:
    Didn't NJ say everyone has to trust the process and get behind the team, love alfie but one player doesn't make the team... NJ has got promotion out of this league before, so I think he knows what he is doing, and if alfie doesn't fit in with NJ'S ideas so be it...
    Appleton got Oxford promotion & Lincoln into the league 1 playoffs
    But he didn't rebuild them teams like nj did with Luton 
    I wouldn't know that but he was a success with both clubs, I'm not really sure how but he managed.
    You actually don't know anything. But don't let that stop you.
    That's a pretty stupid comment ............... but don't let that stop you.
  • Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:
    In the minority, but I wouldn’t be devastated if May goes. I have total faith in Jones and trust his judgment and decision making. 
    I support Charlton Athletic, not Alfie May. 
    It's a bit early to say you have total faith in Jones. 
    Like you and everyone else I hope he proves to be a great success. 
    But it's too early to say I have total faith.
    If May leaves he better have a good replacement lined up.
    Spot on. 

Yep but with a flexibility. If May goes, I’m not expecting a 25 goal replacement. I would expect maybe a 15 goal replacement and a 10 goal attacking midfielder. 

What I’m trying to get at is that jones might see mays goals spread around a bit more rather than a direct replacement.
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Lincoln fans seem to think they've signed mcgrandles
    Someone did mention they were expecting an out. Would be a good move for him too.
  • edited June 14
    ButtleJR said:
    Lincoln fans seem to think they've signed mcgrandles
    https://x.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1801562043792691216

Hope it's him!
  • Seen some say it's Mcgrandles and some say it's Tom Bayliss the ex Cov and Shrewsbury midfielder. 
  • Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:
    In the minority, but I wouldn’t be devastated if May goes. I have total faith in Jones and trust his judgment and decision making. 
    I support Charlton Athletic, not Alfie May. 
    It's a bit early to say you have total faith in Jones. 
    Like you and everyone else I hope he proves to be a great success. 
    But it's too early to say I have total faith.
    If May leaves he better have a good replacement lined up.
    Spot on. 

Yep but with a flexibility. If May goes, I’m not expecting a 25 goal replacement. I would expect maybe a 15 goal replacement and a 10 goal attacking midfielder. 

What I’m trying to get at is that jones might see mays goals spread around a bit more rather than a direct replacement.
    Both of whom would cost more than what we would get for May.
  • edited June 14
    I do agree that a basic issue with our side for the last few years is that there are not enough goals through the team. But there is a simple formula that IMO works in a rough sense at least. If you score 85-90 goals in a season, you will usually be well up there. And if you look at averages in terms of goals, it is harder for young players without that history to go on, but if you look at averages and apply them you need to see the goals figure there or there abouts. That will mean from defence and midfield as well as attack. I agree about not counting pens as somebody else can score them, but if you lose the major source of your goals you are already playing catch up trying to find them from other areas.
  • My question re Mitchell would be why was he surplus at Millwall last season ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!