Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• But I think he is clearly going to leave… I just don’t think we’d even be getting bids otherwise
    Because no team has ever put in an ambitious bid because it’s worth asking the question have they? 
  • jams said:
    To be fair, the club can't control the bids they receive so I don't think you can read too much into that alone 

I imagine though that Huddersfield have been given indication of interest from May's agent though - Way Football seems to work these days, there is probably a few discussions that go on in the background, save wasting the time of the two said clubs.
  • edited June 14
    ButtleJR said:
    Ah, something else to get twitchy about...maybe give Alfie a day off...🤦‍♂️
  • Clubs don't randomly bid for a player they like , they will have heard via sources agents etc about possibilities .
    So they then stick a bid in , it's good to talk and that's what they'd have done , they wouldn't just guess .

Especially in this case with the Michael Duff link to Huddersfield, I wouldn't be that surprised that they stuck a " test the waters" bid in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• LTKapal said:
    I still don't believe Adkins was bad, his squad was mediocre and his hands were tied by awful recruitment.
    I remember one match of a midfield 3 of Arter, Gilbey and Ben Watson
    Adkins was made some ludicrous promises, 10k top end for star players, was told when we signed clare for 2.5k a week he was less than amused
  • ButtleJR said:
    Been told this morning "All that has happened is that we have turned down a bid. That's it. "
    Doesn't tell us much either way (not shooting the messenger by the way!) - if they would sell it just means the bid is low.

Time will tell I guess!
    A nice    " Alfie is not for sale at any price as he is an integral part of the team going forward next season"    would help ease fans worries I would suggest. 
    All players are for sale for the right price, this isn’t football manager or fifa. If they think the price is good and are confident in the replacements then why shouldn’t they? 
  • From Yorkshire Post, their equivalent of Cawley

' it is understood that the Addicks could be tempted to cash in on the player if the offer is viewed to be right and alternatives have been lined up, while the player could be receptive to a move back north if circumstances dictate.'

• Southbank said:
    From Yorkshire Post, their equivalent of Cawley

' it is understood that the Addicks could be tempted to cash in on the player if the offer is viewed to be right and alternatives have been lined up, while the player could be receptive to a move back north if circumstances dictate his missus wants to be near her family.'

• Wow this has been one of the bigger CL meltdowns for a while, fantastic reading. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    In the minority, but I wouldn’t be devastated if May goes. I have total faith in Jones and trust his judgment and decision making. 
    I support Charlton Athletic, not Alfie May. 
    It's a bit early to say you have total faith in Jones. 
    Like you and everyone else I hope he proves to be a great success. 
    But it's too early to say I have total faith.
    If May leaves he better have a good replacement lined up.
    Spot on. 

• Sponsored links:

• It’s not surprising that promotion chasing teams in this division will want Alfie May, 3 consecutive 20+ goal seasons at this level makes that a certainty. Huddersfield may well have bid for him, but unless they bud what we value him at then he is going nowhere. His value to us is always going to be more than teams are going to be willing to pay for him due to his age. 

If Huddersfield came back with a 1.5m bud honestly we would be silly to turn that down considering his age.

All players are for sale at the right price but for someone like Alfie that price will be much higher than his market value.
    There wasn't much competition for him last summer though, or else we wouldn't have got him for such a low fee.
  • For the record I don't want to see May go and IF he did we would need to improve on previous windows by an order of magnitude before I'd be convinced it was the "right" choice.

However, trying to look at it objectively, he is probably headed towards that 'one last payday' move age wise, there are rumours that he doesn't see eye to eye with the coach and he is the kind of player who is very very good in one very specific role and struggles a bit outside of said role. Plus he's one of not many players we'd be likely to get anything like a decent fee for.

So I can see why the idea of him leaving is not being outright dismissed (though again, I'm not certainly NOT advocating for it.)
  • SDAddick said:
    https://x.com/RichCawleySLP/status/1801536750541566344?t=UPg-ZGvQw9I9GLhslEkO9A&s=19

I get that this is probably just an opinion, but it feels like a well informed one. 

These bids for May wouldn't be so public if someone in this process didn't feel this could be successful. Cawley is not saying "there is no intention to sell May."

It's clear that there is a number the club have in mind for May. Given we're in League One that's not necessarily unexpected, what's unexpected is that whoever is leaking from the club isn't exactly saying "no," they seem to be saying "find that number." 

That's not to say May will be off, maybe no one meets that number, but it certainly feels like a possibility. 
    Every player has a price.
    May, Small etc are no exception 
  • supaclive said:
    Getting a big lump up front and letting Alfie May leave would be a bat shit crazy idea.

Nathan Jones is a bit bat shit crazy.

I genuinely don't understand how we let the division's top goalscorer leave and it make us better.

I think Nathan Jones is the right man for the job but I don't believe he is right here.

• edited June 14
    How many of you have said over the last few years if we had a 20 goals a year striker we would go up, well we didn’ and last year was shit, we have a manager now not a puppet head coach so how about we let him manage and get us out of this .league, let him put his team together and if we stop letting goals in we will win more games, it’s not about somebody scoring 20+ goals it’s about winning game.
    Those 20+ goals stopped us from being relegated.
    In a parallel universe where we had a different striker, the different striker wouldn’t have scored zero goals though. He might have scored 15 goals for example. It’s the difference between Alfie’s goals and the alternative striker’s goals that might have got us relegated. But that difference wouldn’t be 20+ goals. 
    We should definitely keep May though, and I think we will, unless May really wants to go. 
    And I’m quite sure there will be signings that we haven’t got an inkling about so far. Just because there are 106 pages of transfer chat with only a couple of rumours doesn’t mean things aren’t happening behind the scenes. 
  • edited June 14
    This rumours thread is one to behold
    May will be kept...May will be sold?
    The secret is now  known
    To the spanners he's flown..
    And the meltdown begins to unfold...

.....😉

• shirty5 said:
    Quite a lot in that piece. Ruddy explored but unlikely, interest in Isted & AMB, Zach Mitchell to be assessed by NJ but has admirers elsewhere and we're set to continue with 3 at the back.
  • Any ‘For Sale’ signs up outside Alfie’s house?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!