Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• edited June 14
    My main concern is......

If May goes who's gonna take the corners & throws 😄
    The corners are endemically shit and the throw ins are  consistently shit, Blind Pugh and Oscar Pistorius could do a better job. 
  • Of the promoted teams, Pompey were the only one with a 20+ goal scorer, showing that a 20 goal scorer isn't essential for success, if the team as a whole scores freely. And can actually defend.

Derby County's top scorer (James Collins) got 14. Their next highest got 9 and 6. They still ended up with 78 goals, to our 64. Oxford's highest was Harris with 15, followed by Brannigan with 13. They scored 79 goals as a team.

Meanwhile in L2, of the top 3 scorers, Mullin scored 24 for promoted Wrexham, but Langstaff scored 28 for Notts County, who ended up fading to 14th and Matt Smith scored 24 for Salford, who finished 20th.
    Thanks for all this K&F. Very helpful as the possibility of losing May seems to inch ever closer...
  • If the money for May balances the books and we are able to get a younger, more saleable asset in, along with improving the current squad, I’m not adverse.
    Balance the books ?? they don’t need to do that this is NJ decision to make 
    Every club in the country balances the books.. hence why Chelsea are offering 8 year contracts. As someone who has played with and against Alfie at youth level, no way do I want him to leave. But as a business, if NJ feels he can use the transfer fee to an advantage, I’ll back him, but time will tell…
  • I can't believe NJ would have the decision over whether May stays. Its obv he wants him (NEEDS him) If the owners cash in, I think NJ will consider his position as he was promised the owners were here to BUILD not sell the quality
     What next ~ Leaburn and Small in the January? We have already lost our captain and arguably our best player... 

Not even the marquee signing of Mannion ("chuckle") can soften the blow if we let Alfie go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Would be mental selling the leagues best goal scorer, but in Jones we trust!
    If Appleton was looking to off load May he would be getting belters .. this is a massive decision that NJ has to make if he gets it wrong fans will be in their right to call for his head .. .. 
    But he's not going according to you. You are a plum mate.
    He won’t go because NJ is not that stupid and knows he needs the fans on side 
    I thought it was because he moved into a new house and joined the local golf club.
    He got a lovely new house in Snodland and joined a exclusive club in Kent 
  • Only at Charlton. Finally we manage to get a striker who actually knows how to strike and is happy to stay and we decide he’s not exactly what we want. It’s not even as if we’re going to get oodles of money for him either. The goals he guarantees would cost more than we can afford to replace. Utter, utter madness.
    Spot on. 
  • If he goes then it needs to be to a team that aren’t likely to challenge in L1, ideally he’d go to a different division.
    Selling to a club like Huddersfield is madness.
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    PWADDICK said:
    If Appleton was looking to off load May he would be getting belters .. this is a massive decision that NJ has to make if he gets it wrong fans will be in their right to call for his head .. .. 
    I thought it was because he moved into a new house and joined the local golf club.
    And how do you know that?
  • Hal1x said:
    It seems to be an unnecessarily brave and provocative move by Jones, a sort of a no player is irreplaceable at this club statement. Most managers would probably keep him and use him sparingly. Jones must feel very confident in his position, either that or he's after a move to another club, probably Huddersfield!.
    Another 4years left on his contract.

• LTKapal said:
    Let's ask a different question, playing devil's advocate, what price would you accept for may? 
    2.5 million, to a championship club only.
  • First time on this evening and thought we’d landed a big fish with the amount of comments!
    Not sure I share the outrage or surprise! 

The writing on the wall was in bold font and luminous letters from the moment NJ lost it with him about his role in game, May turned around and started arguing back, then continued to ignore the instruction. Was subbed about 10 mins later. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 13
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    PWADDICK said:
    There are no exclusive clubs in Kent....especially not near Snodland 😄.
    I know nothing about golf club memberships, however I know The London Golf Club membership is £3,500 per annum!
    I have also heard that it’s exclusive but I don’t know what the criteria is to attain that status?
  • Gloss it up how you want but selling May would be a massive decision (mistake imo). Top scorer in the league and missed a few games with injury - don't understand this one bit. If your way of playing don't fit around the best goal scorer in the league then maybe change the way you play? Double the amount of pressure on Jones if this goes through. 
  • Hal1x said:
    It seems to be an unnecessarily brave and provocative move by Jones, a sort of a no player is irreplaceable at this club statement. Most managers would probably keep him and use him sparingly. Jones must feel very confident in his position, either that or he's after a move to another club, probably Huddersfield!.
    Asking price £1 mill plus 
    Give your source Bexleyboy - you are not ITK - Reams posted this on his forum.
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    PWADDICK said:
    There are no exclusive clubs in Kent....especially not near Snodland 😄.
    What about the 2 caravans club?
  • red10 said:
    Away currently, not followed the thread in detail. Have we actually sold Alfie or not? Thanks.
    No we are just arguing about what we would be arguing about IF we sell him and what we might be saying once he’s sold.  BUT….on the plus side, we have bought a keeper. 
  • I seem to have dropped into the Alfie May thread somehow instead of the rumours thread.
    so I’ll invent my own rumour. 
    Berry and Edward’s have both passed a medical at cafc, however they have not committed to sign yet and are believed to be considering offers from rival clubs.
    Hope we get these two but the above is always a possibility.
    Note to self - must get the plastic bedsheet out of storage.
  • PWADDICK said:

I did but I'm beginning to wonder. Bringing in Cambridges second string keeper & calling him experienced & now the rumours that he's looking to unload the divisions top scorer in a shit team is just utter madness
  • There’s simply no excuse to sell Alfie May. If you can’t make him work in your team then the team is set up wrong 
    It's a fair point. Yes you could easily argue Jones should play a formation that suits May (ie. 2 up front) but if he has had success in his career playing a different way or thinks we're better playing 433, 4231 etc then it's his call. Managers live and die by their decisions, and this would be a very big one.
    Jones has almost exclusively played two up front his whole career, and one could infer from our business and rumours that he’s looking to play 3-5-2 again this season.

Alfie May has scored 20+ goals for 3 seasons in a row, winning the Golden Boot last season. Selling him to a promotion rival is simply bad business whatever way you want to look at it.
    What if we used the money to go and get Matt Godden and Kion Etete, for example?

Or Harry Kane & Haaland, neither option is very likely
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!