Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• There’s simply no excuse to sell Alfie May. If you can’t make him work in your team then the team is set up wrong 
    It's a fair point. Yes you could easily argue Jones should play a formation that suits May (ie. 2 up front) but if he has had success in his career playing a different way or thinks we're better playing 433, 4231 etc then it's his call. Managers live and die by their decisions, and this would be a very big one.
    Jones has almost exclusively played two up front his whole career, and one could infer from our business and rumours that he’s looking to play 3-5-2 again this season.

Alfie May has scored 20+ goals for 3 seasons in a row, winning the Golden Boot last season. Selling him to a promotion rival is simply bad business whatever way you want to look at it.
    What if we used the money to go and get Matt Godden and Kion Etete, for example?
    Sell your best player to a promotion rival for either a 32 year old who’s never scored more than 14 League One goals or an inexperienced striker whose highest tally is 3 goals a season. 

Both strikers would be good signings, but if we have to sell May to accommodate them then we’re in trouble. 
    I disagree - it’s not as simple as have a 20 goal striker, win promotion. And the opposite isn’t true either.

Alfie has played three seasons back to back with 20+ goals. Very impressive individually. But his teams have never not flirted with relegation during that period.

I’m not going to argue too much here otherwise I’ll be accused of being anti-May like what happened with Dobson all over again…

In NJ we trust.
    Feel like that’s just blaming the best performer in the team for the other 10 not turning up. Stick May in the Pompey team they still would’ve won the league 
  • There’s simply no excuse to sell Alfie May. If you can’t make him work in your team then the team is set up wrong 
    It's a fair point. Yes you could easily argue Jones should play a formation that suits May (ie. 2 up front) but if he has had success in his career playing a different way or thinks we're better playing 433, 4231 etc then it's his call. Managers live and die by their decisions, and this would be a very big one.
    Jones has almost exclusively played two up front his whole career, and one could infer from our business and rumours that he’s looking to play 3-5-2 again this season.

Alfie May has scored 20+ goals for 3 seasons in a row, winning the Golden Boot last season. Selling him to a promotion rival is simply bad business whatever way you want to look at it.
    What if we used the money to go and get Matt Godden and Kion Etete, for example?
    Sell your best player to a promotion rival for either a 32 year old who’s never scored more than 14 League One goals or an inexperienced striker whose highest tally is 3 goals a season. 

Both strikers would be good signings, but if we have to sell May to accommodate them then we’re in trouble. 
    I disagree - it’s not as simple as have a 20 goal striker, win promotion. And the opposite isn’t true either.

Alfie has played three seasons back to back with 20+ goals. Very impressive individually. But his teams have never not flirted with relegation during that period.

I’m not going to argue too much here otherwise I’ll be accused of being anti-May like what happened with Dobson all over again…

In NJ we trust.
    A 20 goal man goes along way to getting you promotion, but it does help. 

To get promotion you need a good team from front to back and last season the only one worthy of being in a promoted side was May.
  • Even if May isn’t going to be your first choice, there is surely no way he wouldn’t be one of the best options to have as 1 of your 4 strikers. This is absolutely bonkers even by our standards 
  • edited June 14
    Where does this line come from that "It's clear there is a disconnect between Alfie and Nathan", can't say I have seen any real sign of that, unless you include the fact he has been subbed a few times, which is very tenuous to say the least.
    I feel that this is all a load of guff, and nothing more than a bid for a player allegedly from Huddersfield of all places, which happens in football...
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    https://x.com/natediazisking/status/1801318245544112479?t=VI0t42nyAfS--cQ9V1IzOA&s=19

Some people are rather dramatic aren't they... Not the first I've seen either. 
    Didn’t realise Golfie’s name is Michael.
  • NabySarr said:
    Even if May isn’t going to be your first choice, there is surely no way he wouldn’t be one of the best options to have as 1 of your 4 strikers. This is absolutely bonkers even by our standards 
    Perhaps he doesn’t want to stay to be a back up option at the age of 31 and I wouldn’t blame him for that.
  • Croydon said:
    All this 'in Jones we trust' stuff is a bit strong imo. Long way from earning it to that extent yet.
    And how long has he been at Charlton.  We would have been relegated without him.
  • Slightly concerned to sell a guarantee of 20 league goals but if the offer is huge and Jones feels he can replace adequately then we have to back him  
  • Swisdom said:
    Seems weird that we haven’t announced Edwards or berry yet. Hopefully be later/tomorrow
    When does the window open?

Wouldn't it be nice to suddenly announce 5 new players tomorrow - when the window opens
    It opens tomorrow (14th June)...so would be a great day for announcements!
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    Even if May isn’t going to be your first choice, there is surely no way he wouldn’t be one of the best options to have as 1 of your 4 strikers. This is absolutely bonkers even by our standards 
    Perhaps he doesn’t want to stay to be a back up option at the age of 31 and I wouldn’t blame him for that.
    That’s where you manage him well and don’t tell him that he’s backup. Say we’re bringing in players to go for promotion, so you’ve got to earn your spot, then he’s got to take his chances when he gets them like everyone else does. Create healthy competition rather than just discarding one of the best players in the league 

• ButtleJR said:
    https://x.com/natediazisking/status/1801318245544112479?t=VI0t42nyAfS--cQ9V1IzOA&s=19

Some people are rather dramatic aren't they... Not the first I've seen either. 
    Seen worse on here in the past
  • Charlton’s soul is richer for the moments he bestowed, In every fan, his spirit lives, his story to be told. So here's to Alfie May, our star, wherever you may roam, You'll always have a place with us, at Charlton, you're at home.

We're all going to die :(

In NJ we trust.
    Feel like that’s just blaming the best performer in the team for the other 10 not turning up. Stick May in the Pompey team they still would’ve won the league 
    In a video game it would be that simple… not so sure about in reality.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!