Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Get ready for meltdown @DubaiCAFC

That last comment of yours is going to cause.
    Not to say anything will happen. But certainly no smoke without fire..
    Are you infact Pete O'Rourke,  very suspicious timing
  • I don’t want May to go but have to trust Nathan to build the team he wants and how he wants to play. Will be a big decision though and could put him under pressure early on in the season. 
  • How many goals did May score since Jones arrival? Genuine question 
  • fenaddick said:
    Put yourself in May’s shoes for a second. Your style of play doesn’t fit in with the big name manager and he’s apparently having a go at you all game and consistently subbing you off, your best mate moves after being poorly treated by your club and the manager who helped you make a name for yourself wants to buy you. I can see why you’d be tempted no matter how settled you and your family are. 
    All very good points to be fair. If Huddersfield are offering to pay him more as well, then at his age it's a no brainer.

If Duff signs him and plays him in a strike pairing, i'd be surprised if Huddersfield aren't title contenders next season.
  • Easy way to solve all this, @Swisdom needs to pop round to his neighbour and take him out for a pint and get this farce sorted one way or the other...🙄
  • ButtleJR said:
    How many goals did May score since Jones arrival? Genuine question 
    I think 7 which is pretty good in 2 and a bit months 
  • Sponsored links:

• There’s simply no excuse to sell Alfie May. If you can’t make him work in your team then the team is set up wrong 
    That’s just not true though is it. 
  • There’s simply no excuse to sell Alfie May. If you can’t make him work in your team then the team is set up wrong 
    Which is why I’ve thought for a while that it must be a dressing room thing. I think it’s been clear that Jones has an issue with him in how he’s interacted with him and seeing as he’s the golden boot it must be something else. 
    It's a fair point. Yes you could easily argue Jones should play a formation that suits May (ie. 2 up front) but if he has had success in his career playing a different way or thinks we're better playing 433, 4231 etc then it's his call. Managers live and die by their decisions, and this would be a very big one.
  • edited June 13
    He’s what Cheltenham (x2) and Charlton needed to avoid relegation three seasons in a row.

There’s no guarantees in football, including whether Alfie May scores goals next season. I say that as a big Alfie May fan.
  • Scoham said:

Yes I would, Kent. 
    It's a fair point. Yes you could easily argue Jones should play a formation that suits May (ie. 2 up front) but if he has had success in his career playing a different way or thinks we're better playing 433, 4231 etc then it's his call. Managers live and die by their decisions, and this would be a very big one.
    Jones has almost exclusively played two up front his whole career, and one could infer from our business and rumours that he’s looking to play 3-5-2 again this season.

Alfie May has scored 20+ goals for 3 seasons in a row, winning the Golden Boot last season. Selling him to a promotion rival is simply bad business whatever way you want to look at it.
    What if we used the money to go and get Matt Godden and Kion Etete, for example?
  • Sponsored links:

Jones has almost exclusively played two up front his whole career, and one could infer from our business and rumours that he’s looking to play 3-5-2 again this season.

Alfie May has scored 20+ goals for 3 seasons in a row, winning the Golden Boot last season. Selling him to a promotion rival is simply bad business whatever way you want to look at it.

This is exactly where I'm at with it , I just can't make sense of it. The only 2 striker names we've had linked are hardly strikers that have torn it up anywhere and I don't want to be relying on Aneke/Leaburn to stay fit or putting too much pressure on Kanu to be a key player. 

I know this is a stupid name to mention because he'll be in Luton's first team squad I'm sure next season but even for example if we got Joe Taylor  on loan I'd want someone like that to play with May. 
  • If he does go, it'll be to somewhere higher up the ladder than Huddersfield 
  • For me, the fee will be the key factor here (esp as Cheltenham are rumoured to have a sell on clause in place). It's clear that there's some disconnect between Jones and May.

If we could revamp our forward line with the fee, I'd probably be happy. He's 30 now and if we can recoup and replough the transfer fee, maybe it could be good business. On the flip side, losing Dobson and May who were our only players worth watching last season might hurt! Hard to conclude without knowing the details and also potential calibre of replacement.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    If he does go, it'll be to somewhere higher up the ladder than Huddersfield 
    He’ll go to whoever puts the best package together 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    If he does go, it'll be to somewhere higher up the ladder than Huddersfield 
    He’ll go to whoever puts the best package together 
    Yep, and if he is actually available that won't he Huddersfield. A champ club will have a punt
  • edited June 13
    There’s simply no excuse to sell Alfie May. If you can’t make him work in your team then the team is set up wrong 

What if we used the money to go and get Matt Godden and Kion Etete, for example?
    Sell your best player to a promotion rival for either a 32 year old who’s never scored more than 14 League One goals or an inexperienced striker whose highest tally is 3 goals a season. 

Both strikers would be good signings, but if we have to sell May to accommodate them then we’re in trouble. 
    I disagree - it’s not as simple as have a 20 goal striker, win promotion. And the opposite isn’t true either.

Alfie has played three seasons back to back with 20+ goals. Very impressive individually. But his teams have never not flirted with relegation during that period.

I’m not going to argue too much here otherwise I’ll be accused of being anti-May like what happened with Dobson all over again…

In NJ we trust.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!