Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Croydon said:
    All this 'in Jones we trust' stuff is a bit strong imo. Long way from earning it to that extent yet.
    Need to have faith in him, our Manager turnover since Bowyer is part of the problem

Cant keep replacing a Manager every six months expecting miracle results
  • edited June 13
    If true, that is a massive roll of the dice by Jones.
    Aside from losing May’s guaranteed goals, you also lose his enthusiasm and devotion to the cause. Those last two qualities have been in huge short supply in recent years.

An interesting twist. Hope Jones knows what he’s doing. 
  • Croydon said:
    All this 'in Jones we trust' stuff is a bit strong imo. Long way from earning it to that extent yet.
    Need to have faith in him, our Manager turnover since Bowyer is part of the problem

Cant keep replacing a Manager every six months expecting miracle results
    Yeah sorry wasn't suggesting I don't have faith in him, just amazed how many would be ok to see May go
  • Let's ask a different question, playing devil's advocate, what price would you accept for may? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Looking at the top scorers from other leagues unless we're about to drop multi millions on Macaulay Langstaff , Dion Charles , Colby Bishop or someone of that ilk this looks spectacularly misjudged to even consider. So what if he's not quite the right fit , you don't replace 25+ goals easily and especially if you're expecting Aneke and Leaburn to significantly contribute. 
    I want May to stay but in the championship to league 2 the top scores team finished mid table/bottom half. So is a 25+ goal scorer essential or a better team contribution more important to promotion.
    Well, you're going to have to find 3 or 4 others players who are going to chip in with 5 or 6 goals each if that's your question. Especially as the rest of the current squad contributed diddly squat in terms of goals last season. 

And as I said earlier......good luck with that. 
  • edited June 13
    redbuttle said:
    Croydon said:
    And how long has he been at Charlton.  We would have been relegated without him.
    Keeping us up in the third tier amongst tiny clubs like Cheltenham, Fleetwood  & Carlisle is hardly the achievement of the century.

50% of this league operate with less than half of our wage budget.

Nathan Jones still has everything to prove. His long ball football was dire to watch last season but we accepted it as those weren’t his players. This season he needs the team to massively step up…as he knows very well.

Selling May is a very bold move. I hope the incoming players are very good.
    It is an achievement because our previous managers left us in the shit and he got us out of it with a bunch of crap players.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 13
    Just so we are all aware, we haven't sold Alfie, contrary to most of the posts on this thread...ok👍
  • RoanRedNY said:
    to summarize the last 92 101 pages.  We bought a keeper.  Might be selling St Alfie of May. Trust in Jones the Gaff questioned.  Other signings shite to be announced at some point.
    Summary Update.  Time to take the dog for a walk.
  • edited June 13
    LTKapal said:
    Let's ask a different question, playing devil's advocate, what price would you accept for may? 

In reality we won't get more than £500K which will be enough to cover the fees for Davies, Edwards and Mitchell probably.
    Our quorum of billionaire owners haven't actually stuck their hand in the pocket for any transfers yet have they?  Gillesphy, Edun, REG were all covered by the CBT fee.
    Paul Elliot was daft to say we would "do an Ipswich" as it raised expectations.

• ButtleJR said:
    https://x.com/natediazisking/status/1801318245544112479?t=VI0t42nyAfS--cQ9V1IzOA&s=19

Some people are rather dramatic aren't they... Not the first I've seen either. 
    I've said I'm done if he goes.....and will only return once Nathan Jones leaves.
    There's the golfie we know and love.
  • ButtleJR said:
    https://x.com/natediazisking/status/1801318245544112479?t=VI0t42nyAfS--cQ9V1IzOA&s=19

Some people are rather dramatic aren't they... Not the first I've seen either. 
    I've said I'm done if he goes.....and will only return once Nathan Jones leaves.
    Might as well register for the Huddersfield forum while you’re at it

https://login.proboards.com/register/2448479
  • He's a close as you'll get to a guaranteed 20+ goal a season striker. Getting rid of him would be madness. Getting rid of him and gift wrapping a striker of his prowess to a promotion rival would be insanity.

They'd have to have some very impressive signings lined up
    Not only do they need to have some impressive signings lined up they'd better get then quickly unveiled as we've got just 2 weeks before pre-season and Nathan Jones (yes, the one you all trust) said we were going to get our business done early & the vast majority of the squad sorted by the time they all go back for pre-season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I love Alfie and Dobbo was my favourite player to have pulled our shirt on for years ! Losing both in a couple of months will take some replacing !!! But I do actually trust NJ to get things right. Time will tell 
  • edited June 13
    ValleyBen said:
    New low for the happy clapper fans, already defending the idea of selling the best striker in the league to one of our promotion rivals.

Baffling if it comes true but for me it means promotion or bust next season, no excuses, cannot lose our three best players needlesly in the space of six months and then continue to fail. 

Happy clapper? How have you come to that conclusion? People are absolutely sick to death being in this utter tosh league and are willing to back a manager with what he wants/needs. If Nathan jones feels he can get this team up with two strikers contributing equally, and not just with goals then so be it.  You back a manager, over a single player  
  • I never really get this negative vs positive battle that some people seem to wish to generate.

People will have opposing views on May leaving, some will think it’s a bad idea others will think that football is more nuanced than just one players contribution and think otherwise.

Neither is necessarily positive or negative, it’s just a viewpoint - and one that won’t be justified until we are into the season anyway. 

• There’s simply no excuse to sell Alfie May. If you can’t make him work in your team then the team is set up wrong 
    Let’s be honest here, he is hardly Messi! 
  • edited June 13
    I’m definitely in the ‘no player is bigger than the team’ camp but even if he doesn’t fit in the system I would rather stick Alfie in the reserves/combination side than sell him to a direct rival.  Prefer he stays, but if he goes we have to go up to validate that decision to please the majority.
  • CatAddick said:
    I’m definitely in the ‘no player is bigger than the team’ camp but even if he doesn’t fit in the system I would rather stick Alfie in the reserves/combination side than sell him to a direct rival.  Prefer he stays, but if he goes we have to go up to validate that decision to please the majority.
    I'm sure you make better use just by having him on the bench. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!