Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Falling out or not,. available or not. May's had 3 great goal scoring seasons it's not crazy to expect interest in him.

He may (hehehe) not want to go but at his age and career so far if a team comes a knocking and wants to give him a big pay packet he'd be mental not to consider it. 
    And if he leaves, he leaves in credit, a bright spark in a shite season and always busted a gut.

Will be hard to replace. Hopefully Jones has been spending all his time scouting a replacement.

• If Jones sells Alfie, he's obviously eaten hotdogs for tea.  
  • I wouldn't be too upset if we used the money to get Jake Young or Azeez in from Reading 
  • Sponsored links:

• Away currently, not followed the thread in detail. Have we actually sold Alfie or not? Thanks.
  • PWADDICK said:
    In Nathan Jones you have a man who turned a doomed League 2 team into a playoff Championship team, as far as I’m concerned if NJ doesn’t want May then I’m backing the decision.
    A playoff championship team??? 😂😂😂

The guy couldn’t beat minnows like Cambridge, Northampton, Wycombe, Shrewsbury, Exeter, Fleetwood, Stevenage etc.

Really don’t get the love in with NJ just yet. I 100% hope he turns us into the top 6 team we should be but until then he hasn’t achieved anything worth raving about. His record isn’t much better than the zillions of other managers we have had in recent years….Nigel Adkins finished his first season with us far stronger (points wise).
    He left them in the play offs mate, so yes…
  • Worst case scenario: We sell Alfie, Wales sack Rob Page (and that is likely) and appoint Nathan Jones. Up the creek without a paddle. 
  • If the money for May balances the books and we are able to get a younger, more saleable asset in, along with improving the current squad, I’m not adverse.
  • I'll back Jones as long as its his decision to sell May, I personally think even if we forget his goals he the most talented player we have on the ball in terms of creativity, he excelled in that number 10 role when he played there.

However if you have an asset the manager doesnt like and you know other teams will pay good money for him, why let him rot on the bench ? but its a decision that takes bottle if we go up this season Alfie will be quickly forgotten about if we don't NJ will be reminded regularly about him by the crowd
  • PWADDICK said:
    PWADDICK said:
    In Nathan Jones you have a man who turned a doomed League 2 team into a playoff Championship team, as far as I’m concerned if NJ doesn’t want May then I’m backing the decision.

The guy couldn’t beat minnows like Cambridge, Northampton, Wycombe, Shrewsbury, Exeter, Fleetwood, Stevenage etc.

Really don’t get the love in with NJ just yet. I 100% hope he turns us into the top 6 team we should be but until then he hasn’t achieved anything worth raving about. His record isn’t much better than the zillions of other managers we have had in recent years….Nigel Adkins finished his first season with us far stronger (points wise).
    He left them in the play offs mate, so yes…
    Only just worked out that you are talking about Luton!

I thought you were referencing Charlton as the team doomed for league 2 before he joined.

Let’s judge NJ based on what he does at the Valley. As good as he was at Luton he also completely flopped at Stoke & Southampton.

We’re all hopeful (it has to work out for us one day!) but so far he still has everything to prove.
  • No point in over reactions at this stage. Jones said he wants to have most of his squad ready for pre-season. At the very least, let's see what it looks like then.

May is a fantastic player at this level, but if his sale funds 3/4/5 incomings then maybe it is worth doing.

It seemed clear towards the end of last season that Jones and May were not quite gelling so let's just wait and see.

As Portsmouth proved last year, a cohesive team playing in the managers mould, pulling in the same direction is more important than individual players.
  • Didn't NJ say everyone has to trust the process and get behind the team, love alfie but one player doesn't make the team... NJ has got promotion out of this league before, so I think he knows what he is doing, and if alfie doesn't fit in with NJ'S ideas so be it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Well that's certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons...

Pure CL gold!
  • The last 5 pages have been wonderful, great work all 
  • PWADDICK said:
    Would be mental selling the leagues best goal scorer, but in Jones we trust!
    If Appleton was looking to off load May he would be getting belters .. this is a massive decision that NJ has to make if he gets it wrong fans will be in their right to call for his head .. .. 
  • PWADDICK said:

Do you remember where we were when he joined? We were out of the relegation zone on goal difference!!!!
  • If the money for May balances the books and we are able to get a younger, more saleable asset in, along with improving the current squad, I’m not adverse.
    Balance the books ?? they don’t need to do that this is NJ decision to make 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    There’s simply no excuse to sell Alfie May. If you can’t make him work in your team then the team is set up wrong 
    Let’s be honest here, he is hardly Messi! 
    Nope, he’s not. Just the best finisher in the division. Just don’t know why we would even think about selling the top league scorer to a rival. Don’t agree with the Jones style pieces, he scores goals 
    Not demeaning May’s ability here at all, but that is factually incorrect.

May actually had the highest shots per goal in the division.

Colby Bishop or Devante Cole scored less, but also had 1 and in Cole’s case 1.5 shots per goal less than May. 

So are actually better finishers than May. 
    I don't know enough about those other players to comment on them.

But stats don't tell you everything and can be misleading. What I do know is that Alfie is sometimes prepared to try the difficult and occasionally outrageous.  It stands to reason then that he has the most shots but also that these speculative efforts would have knocked his goals per shots ratio. I would argue that he probably was the best finisher, whatever the stats say.
  • It seems to be an unnecessarily brave and provocative move by Jones, a sort of a no player is irreplaceable at this club statement. Most managers would probably keep him and use him sparingly. Jones must feel very confident in his position, either that or he's after a move to another club, probably Huddersfield!.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!