Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• It does read like Mitchell has Jason Pearce like qualities.
  • mendonca said:
    It does read like Mitchell has Jason Pearce like qualities.
    Hopefully not including the tendency to break out some WWE moves during a game! 

Joking aside, a no-frills battling type with some organisation skills would benefit the defence. Ball playing, long-passing CBs have lots of benefits but sometimes you need a mad bastard whose going to boot the ball and the oppo player straight off the pitch - especially at this level.
  • Is it likely @Swisdom that we announce a few tomorrow?
  • I understand both Ness and Jones been told they can leave 
    So, not only are we having to replace around 8-10 players that have left we are now having to replace Ness & Jones......along with Fraser, Mcgrandells and all the other dross deemed not good enough last season. 

Good luck with that one then. 

Almost mid June & we've signed ONE player. A few more are supposedly "very close" with medicals being done this week, but in my estimates we need another 10-12 in within the next 2 weeks if going by Nathan Jones statement that he wants the squad all in by pre-season. 
    10-12 in 2 weeks sounds reasonable, glad to see youre taking your usual measured and calm approach here Golfie 
    I'm just going by what Nathan Jones has said and what others are saying on here about certain players leaving. 

And this weekend I"m more concentrating on 

The US Open
    The Euro's
    The T20 WC.

I reckon 12 more total would be an absolute max number and likely 10.  Assuming Berry, Mitchell, Davies and Edwards are 4 of them and all are on the brink of signing and likely done by end of tomorrow then that would leave 6-8 more to go.

I expect us to leave some powder dry in case a real decent opportunity presents late in the window so let's say that makes it 4-6 to go in next 2 weeks. 

Suddenly doesn't sound so difficult and leaves the rest of the window to move out Henry, McG, Fraser, Isted, AMB, Edun etc.

All guess work by me of course and 10 would be based roughly off the following hypothesis which will be completely wrong. 🤣

First team
                                 new (Davies)
    Ramsey.     REG.  New.  New (Mitchell)    Small
                        New (Berry).     New.     New
                               May.      New

Second choices
                                   Mannion
    Watson.    New.    Jones.   Gillesphy    Edwards
                   Coventry.   Anderson.  New
                               Kanu.   New 

Other Squad
    Leaburn, Aneke, Taylor, Campbell, Assimwe, Z Mitchell, Ness

To leave
    Isted, Edun, AMB, Fraser, McG, Henry
    Leaburn and Coventry not starting?
  • mendonca said:
    Good at faking an injury in the dying minutes of a game when we are under the cosh?

An essential quality in the modern game it seems.
    We need to be a bit more cute, polished and practised at our shithousery I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Given that Edwards, Berry and Mitchell all sound virtually done deals I suppose a few announcements tomorrow are not out of the question
  • mendonca said:
    Good at faking an injury in the dying minutes of a game when we are under the cosh?
    Likewise, can he do the slow motion Pratley fall when an opponent brushes against him.
  • I wonder if Zak can step into the holding midfield role? Worth a try pre-season? 39 senior appearances says he is no novice. He is one of our best talents.

I've wondered about that too, at this stage he doesn't have the physical strength and nous to be a CB in a 2 really, but would be less exposed elsewhere where we could exploit his obvious ball skills.
    So, not only are we having to replace around 8-10 players that have left we are now having to replace Ness & Jones......along with Fraser, Mcgrandells and all the other dross deemed not good enough last season. 

Almost mid June & we've signed ONE player. A few more are supposedly "very close" with medicals being done this week, but in my estimates we need another 10-12 in within the next 2 weeks if going by Nathan Jones statement that he wants the squad all in by pre-season. 
    10-12 in 2 weeks sounds reasonable, glad to see youre taking your usual measured and calm approach here Golfie 
    I'm just going by what Nathan Jones has said and what others are saying on here about certain players leaving. 

The US Open
    The Euro's
    The T20 WC.

I reckon 12 more total would be an absolute max number and likely 10.  Assuming Berry, Mitchell, Davies and Edwards are 4 of them and all are on the brink of signing and likely done by end of tomorrow then that would leave 6-8 more to go.

I expect us to leave some powder dry in case a real decent opportunity presents late in the window so let's say that makes it 4-6 to go in next 2 weeks. 

Suddenly doesn't sound so difficult and leaves the rest of the window to move out Henry, McG, Fraser, Isted, AMB, Edun etc.

All guess work by me of course and 10 would be based roughly off the following hypothesis which will be completely wrong. 🤣

First team
                                 new (Davies)
                               May.      New

Second choices
                                   Mannion
                               Kanu.   New 

Other Squad

To leave

Leaburn is possibly injured until October otherwise, yes in my opinion he would/should start. I am a huge fan of his and think he will be a regular PL player if he can get/stay fit but at the moment that is a doubt which is why I put him as "other squad".  It seems clear we are chasing another big striker from the rumours of Bair and Eteke.

Coventry I personally don't rate. Didn't see anything in him that made me want him in the first team next season. I hope he proves me wrong.  Won't be the first player to do so if he does.
  • Can't see our physios letting Chuks be the injury basket case he has been over last two seasons. Regardless of forwards we sign, I can see him and Alfie piling on the goals, at least until the window shuts. 

Cannot share the negativity on Ness either. He played in changing,  unsettled sides with inexperienced kids and the likes of Payne and Kirk. There is a decent player there.

• edited June 13
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    All I would say, no smoke without fire with May.. shame! 
    What about dry ice?
  • edited June 13
    DubaiCAFC said:
    All I would say, no smoke without fire with May.. shame! 

...May is going nowhere...ok...🙄

The US Open
    The Euro's
    The T20 WC.

First team
                                 new (Davies)
                               May.      New

Second choices
                                   Mannion
                               Kanu.   New 

Other Squad

To leave

Leaburn is possibly injured until October otherwise, yes in my opinion he would/should start. I am a huge fan of his and think he will be a regular PL player if he can get/stay fit but at the moment that is a doubt which is why I put him as "other squad".  It seems clear we are chasing another big striker from the rumours of Bair and Eteke.

Coventry I personally don't rate. Didn't see anything in him that made me want him in the first team next season. I hope he proves me wrong.  Won't be the first player to do so if he does.
    Where did Leaburn is possibly injured until October come from?    
  • Sponsored links:

• Get ready for meltdown @DubaiCAFC

That last comment of yours is going to cause.
  • Get ready for meltdown @DubaiCAFC

That last comment of yours is going to cause.
    Not to say anything will happen. But certainly no smoke without fire..
  • So much will depend on the formation Jones wants to go with - 3-4-3 and I can see why Alfie may be going/sacrificed, 3-5-2 and would make no sense to let him go. 4-3-3 same rules apply as the first point etc. 

Have loved seeing Alfie’s enthusiasm and goals which have on many an occasion been a silver lining to a darkly clouded result last season, but bottom line is that we need to get out of league one and very quickly, so sentimentality cannot blur the vision and if NJ has a clear plan, formation and style which is not going to suit Alfie’s playing style or capabilities, then I am reconciled to a new dawn…

Only time would tell what was right from wrong in terms of decisions, no point us bed wetting until we see the end result.
  • Dubai doesn't get much wrong. I dont believe May will leave this summer but its obvious that he & Jones don't get on. 

And no matter what formation you use you always need a 20 goal a season striker. And I doubt the rest if our "strikers" would get 20 goals between them. 
  • If May goes and they replace him with someone as good then the fans won’t be that bothered. 

It’s if you let him go only to replace him with a bang average league 1 player that everyone will have the right hump and rightly so.

He guarantees you 15-20 goals a season so if he goes then you need to replace him with someone who’s going to do the same. 

May and Leaburn are our two best strikers. If we find someone better than May we should keep him as a sub and loan out Kanu who isn't at that level yet.  Easy.
  • Would be mental selling the leagues best goal scorer, but in Jones we trust!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!