Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Looks very much like a right sided centre back judging by his 23/24 position heatmap… in fact so right sided that I’m wondering if he predominantly plays in a back three rather than back four.

Was on the right of a 3 for Lincoln last season 
  • Mitchell comes across very well in that article. I appreciate that it also means we're continuing our weird recent tradition of having multiple unrelated player with the same name at the club. Ladapo and Ladapo, Watson and Watson, Campbell and Campbell
    I thought the two Ladapos were brothers?
  • Ex Millwall  🤢
  • NabySarr said:
    Looks very much like a right sided centre back judging by his 23/24 position heatmap… in fact so right sided that I’m wondering if he predominantly plays in a back three rather than back four.

Was on the right of a 3 for Lincoln last season 
    Does he play on the left wing in the second half?
  • Ex Millwall  🤢
    We need some nastiness in the side, what better than a knuckledragger.
  • Mitchell comes across very well in that article. I appreciate that it also means we're continuing our weird recent tradition of having multiple unrelated player with the same name at the club. Ladapo and Ladapo, Watson and Watson, Campbell and Campbell
    They are 
  • Plaaayer said:
    Mitchell comes across very well in that article. I appreciate that it also means we're continuing our weird recent tradition of having multiple unrelated player with the same name at the club. Ladapo and Ladapo, Watson and Watson, Campbell and Campbell
    They are 
    They’re not.
  • Plaaayer said:
    That’s fair mate, unfortunately though it is incorrect.
  • Sponsored links:

• With Mitchell and REG we will have 2 decent CBs so that is a good start.
  • Ex Millwall  🤢
    Sometimes Golfie you just have to swallow the pill...he'll be ok with the right shirt on...🙄
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I like REG. Thought we looked a lot better with him in the side but strange that Jones seemed to use him sparingly towards the end.
    Concerning that the CBs who played most often at the end of the season were Thomas, followed by Hector.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I like REG. Thought we looked a lot better with him in the side but strange that Jones seemed to use him sparingly towards the end.
    Concerning that the CBs who played most often at the end of the season were Thomas, followed by Hector.
    That could easily have been Jones wanting to have a real look at both of them to make a judgement on whether to keep/release them 
  • edited June 12
    Problem with centre backs like REG & Lloyd Jones is that although they are tidy on the floor they are not at all dominant in the air.

Hence when they play we tend to lose a lot of first / second balls that get launched into the box & we consequently concede a lot.

Players like Mitchell and Sonny Bradley will hopefully change this and give us more presence at the back.
  • If Bradley is a genuine target I wonder if Zach Mitchell is loaned out again or NJ perhaps looks at playing him CDM? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Problem with centre backs like REG & Lloyd Jones is that although they are tidy on the floor they are not at all dominant in the air.

Hence when they play we tend to lose a lot of first / second balls that get launched into the box & we consequently concede a lot.

Players like Mitchell and Sonny Bradley will hopefully change this and give us more presence at the back.
    The rumoured interest in various giant centre forwards (Bair, Etete, presumably others) will also hopefully address our total lack of presence at set pieces (at both ends). 

The organisation defensively improved considerably under Jones but we were notably vulnerable to having the defence just muscled out of the way or beaten to a loose ball and apparently unable to win it back.
  • hermann said:
    Problem with centre backs like REG & Lloyd Jones is that although they are tidy on the floor they are not at all dominant in the air.

Lloyd Jones lost confidence for a stretch of the season after an error that led to a goal but prior to that I thought he stood out with how good he was in the air. One home game in particular (can't remember which, already well on the way to repressing every memory of the season) he seemed to win absolutely every long ball played forward. 
    I agree for me he was better than Innis was in the air and people spoke about his aerial ability.
  • LoOkOuT said:
    I want someone at the back that yells and points when someone’s not in the right place or isn’t pushing hard enough. It shouldn’t be that hard ffs!
    Agree. Somewhere from amongst any new signings we need to identify a skipper who can lead on the pitch. I don’t see any of the players remaining from last season as captaincy material. 
  • edited June 12
    hermann said:

Lloyd Jones lost confidence for a stretch of the season after an error that led to a goal but prior to that I thought he stood out with how good he was in the air. One home game in particular (can't remember which, already well on the way to repressing every memory of the season) he seemed to win absolutely every long ball played forward. 
    From what I remember, his aerial stats were far better than Hector's. 

He had a wobble but he doesn't strike me as the kind of player who will frequently give something away.
  • LoOkOuT said:
    I want someone at the back that yells and points when someone’s not in the right place or isn’t pushing hard enough. It shouldn’t be that hard ffs!
    Good defenders do exactly that because they are able to marshall their teammates and tell them where to be. Invariably, that often means that they’re telling them not to leave them exposed which makes them look better, but what it also does is organise a side and provide a solid base for the rest of the team to attack from.

If Sonny Bradley is a genuine target and we sign him and Mitchell, straight away the spine is looking different with players who can play at the top end of this division. They’re also physically better than those who have left.
  • LoOkOuT said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    You could argue, hopefully, he had seen enough to keep REG in his plans and wanted to give the other two a final look. 
    A final look that took a dozen games. Yeah right.

The same with Southgate playing a load of players in warm up matches for the Euros who he then dumps. Those 2 warm up matches should have been filled with players who will be starting on Sunday. Same with the end of our season. Should have played players who he wanted to be here. Get a team playing together regularly and you will win matches.

• So assuming we get Berry, Edwards, Mitchell to add to Mannion then how many more do people think?

Another keeper definitely

1-2 more CBs still? 

2-3 more midfielders

1-2 more upfront

So 5-8 more?

And out go 6-8 on perms (Fraser, McG, Edun, Isted, AMB, Henry deffo if we can find takers and Taylor, Aneke, Gillesphy, Watson possibles?).

Plus a few kids on loan that could include Ness, Assimwe, Z Mitchell?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!