Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Anything happening with Matt Godden? He was mentioned wasn't he?
  • Options
    Dion Charles. How tall is he ? Seriously. Is he the physical presence NJ seems to like ?
    No, more like a May replacement.
  • Options
    Think Godden will be a wait and see what Coventry sign themselves type move , he's down the pecking order behind Haji Wright and Ellis Simms for sure. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dion Charles. How tall is he ? Seriously. Is he the physical presence NJ seems to like ?
    No, more like a May replacement.
    Then why bother 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Dion Charles as a rumour feels very similar to Aaron Collins as a rumour. Big name, big excitement, not really very likely
    Again didn't say it was likely but it adds fuel to the looking for Alfie replacement and also which sort of quality were looking at
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone got any real-time updates of Josh Edwards medical and if it's a 6 or 5 figure fee????
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Journalists seem to be having debates about whether Edwards is a 5 or 6 figure sum! Been going on for some time. 
    He's gotta be worth a tenner of anyone's money...🙄
  • Options
    I have never claimed to be in the know, but I have heard from a very good source that we are trying to get Will Lankshear a 19 year old striker from Spurs. 6' 5" tall, so passes the height test.

Seems a weird one given we have Leaburn, but believe he was top scorer in the premier league academy last season. Spurs got him from Sheffield United.

Perhaps looking to the future with offloading Leaburn eventually.
  • Options
    If we got north of a million for a 30 year old who has never played higher than league one I fail to see how it’s not good business. Can only judge when his replacement is in the building.
    Or indeed replacement(s) with that sort of cash at this level.  Whilst we may not be able to find a 20 goal a season striker to replace Alfie, we might be able to bring in some players that can give us more overall team goals.  After all, our second top scorer was Blackett-Taylor who left in January and then it was Miles Leaburn who got injured in December and didn't play another game all season.  The rest of the team didn't pitch in with enough goals, as we know, but if we look at Barnsley and Oxford who took the last two play-off spots, both had two or three player on double figures and others chipping in with 6-9 goals each.

I'm not saying we should let him go, I think he is one of the best strikers in this division, but if there are reasons to sell, and we can get a good price, it may not be the end of the world.  It will be a bold move to sell him, however, because if we fail to improve and progress this season, the fans will deem it a failure and point to Alfie's sale as the key reason behind it.
    Portsmouth had 4 players contributing more than 8 goals each plus Colby Bishop's 21. Derby had 5 players contributing 5 goals or more with a top scorer of 14. Oxford had 8 players contributing 5 goals or more and top scorer 15.

Five teams scored more than Portsmouth and Derby but both conceded the least.

Colby Bishop is a hold up striker as well as a goal scorer.

Does NJ want more of Colby Bishop than an Alfie May and believes he can set up to get more goals from midfield and set plays and sacrifice a handful of goals from the striker who contributes more to setting up attacks.  

If it happens it's a cold calculated gamble by a manager who's got balls. 

• Options
    Anyone got any real-time updates of Josh Edwards medical and if it's a 6 or 5 figure fee????
    Nothing on the fee but £90k and £150k have been mentioned so I think it’s safe to say it’s around that range.

Pete O’Rourke also confirmed the medical is taking place.

https://x.com/sportspeteo/status/1802708444283052315?s=46&t=A-w3Eq0EWWpjMxring904Q
  • Options
    I have never claimed to be in the know, but I have heard from a very good source that we are trying to get Will Lankshear a 19 year old striker from Spurs. 6' 5" tall, so passes the height test.

Seems a weird one given we have Leaburn, but believe he was top scorer in the premier league academy last season. Spurs got him from Sheffield United.
    Loan or permanent?
  • Options

Guessing this would be a loan ?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Loan or permanent?
    I'd imagine it must be loan, Tottenham reportedly paid over £1m for him 2 years ago, rising up to £2.5m based on apps etc. Since then scored a bunch of goals for the academy and was U21 league player of the season last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will Lankshear has been linked to Middlesbrough too
  • Options
    edited June 18
    Charles under contract until 2026. You have to think if we do get this money for May then every penny of it goes to a like for like replacement. 

Whilst I don't want May to go, if he doesn't want to stay then he should be sold. Simple as that.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    We've enquired about Ray Charles. 

Fixed it for you😏

• Options
    If we sold May and wanted a similar player then Max Dean would be the man.  Talented, scores, runs forever and a nasty streak.  Young so sell on value.. obvs a punt though as L2.
  • Options
    Clearly we don't know everything going on in the background but getting rid of Alfie does seem completely bonkers.

However, if he and Jones really can't work together then Huddersfield or whoever are waiting to swoop. 

You just have to hope that Nathan does know what he's doing but boy this could end badly for him very early in the season if we don't progress the way the Board and him have been talking. 

Having Scott around the building still bothers me and my confidence at the hyperbole at seasons end about new beginnings and a real push this season has been dented at the the thought of getting rid of the first proper center forward in years... not as if we're going to get another 20+ goals in a season unless Sak-Rakyi is being bought which I very much doubt. Nice thought though.... 

On the back of 2 shite seasons, if Jones gets it wrong he’s out and he gets another job somewhere, that’s it ending badly for him.  For us it could very well mean a drop to Div 2 and wallowing around in the weeds for years to come.  So, if it ends badly, it’s gonna be a lot worse for us fans.  Let’s hope that’s not the case and we are challenging for Premiership football in 2 years, a la Ipswich. And if so, then literally no one we have nor either of the 2 signings so far are gonna be in the 1st team.
  • Options
    Yeah if May goes I think it's because he doesn't really suit the system NJ is aiming for next season. Don't think we'd sign a like for like. 
  • Options
    Has Jones ever played with a small man up front? 
  • Options
    If May goes and NJ wants a " different profile" of striker I wonder what this means for Kanu? I can't see NJ wanting 4 physical target men so I'd like to think he'd still be in and around things.