Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• So, does this count as getting the majority of the squad in early?

NJ said he wanted nine, I make that six.

So that leaves three, maybe four if May leaving means another to replace him (already here is my guess).

The optimistic view is that the players do appear to fit a pattern of play chosen by Jones, are all, bar Godden, fairly young, fill obvious gaps/needs in the squad and are here in time for the first friendly and the summer camp.

The pessimistic view is that we've not seen them perform as a team in competitive games yet and until we do we don't know how well it will work and we're still missing three more players, possibly a keeper, maybe a centre back and probably one of two midfielders.  And we still have players we need to move on.
    Berry isn't.
  • Great business so far - all decent signings at League 1 or Championship and above level. and good contracts and players the manager actually wants !

Also no loan signings either which is always a bonus !!
  • Great business so far - all decent signings at League 1 or Championship and above level. and good contracts and players the manager actually wants !

Also no loan signings either which is always a bonus !!
    I don’t mind loan players but I prefer to only have 1 or 2 of really good quality. We’ve had the odd loan of quality in the last 10 years but a lot of dross. 

I’m hopeful that we’ll still sign a Gk, a cb and 2 mids on perms before 1 or 2 late loans of quality (Taylor @Luton)
  • Would hope we go and get a real number 10 in who will be getting double figure goals and assists and then a backup keeper, rest would be bonus/dependent on sales out 
  • need a creative midfielder or 2 and a couple of proper wingers in case this wing back rubbish dont work again.
  • Sponsored links:

• I posted this on the Ahadme thread, I have a feeling he’s our long-term Leaburn replacement.

The SMT are banging on about a more sustainable set up and are perhaps looking at the Peterborough model. They pay large fees for promising players they know they will sell for profit, sometimes within a year. 

I think Leaburn is at the end of that cycle, when fit he will command decent money. I’m also convinced if he had stayed fit he would’ve been sold by now. 

I think that’s why he isn’t being rushed back to playing, they’re taking the extra time so he’ll have a good run in the team till the January window and then be sold. Some of that money will be reinvested in the squad, the rest to keep the losses down. I think this is what Charlie has sold to the owners, some of it is outlined in the Texas document.

Just my hunch mind, I’m not ITK but it may fit some of what has already been revealed.

I’m hoping Charlie boy can pull this off as it can work. I would say that Peterborough have been working this way for 20 years now and their network must be very refined by now. Not as exciting as owners just splashing cash but as with Peterborough it is more sustainable.
    I hope not. Because a fit and firing Miles is what we would need to establish ourselves in the Championship - then we'd also get a better price.
  • Godden in balances May out so you cant count that as new player in. Slightly worse on fact seeing as May is younger & the leagues top goalscorer last season. 

I see it that we have signed -

2 defenders
    1 striker
    1 midfielder 
    1 back up keeper

I know I'll get pelters but I feel we are still some way off having a squad good enough to be challenging for promotion. 

Need another midfielder & a No 1 keeper for starters. 
    I think it's fair to say we're a way off but that doesn't mean that we haven't done quite well so far I think - outside of maybe Mannion (who is intended as back up anyway) they are all at least decent options and some look better than that. The likes of Ahadme, Berry and Mitchell would be players you'd think most clubs at our level would want. Godden is more of a risk but his record is not bad, albeit it was several years ago.

Losing May was a blow for sure but one that seemed planned for to a certain extent so not like losing him at the last minute and scrambling for a replacement.

We've done quite well so far - but yes, we definitely need a lot more done still.
  • So after Ahadme think we need a GK, CB, 2 Midfielders. Looking good. 
    Where is Edwards going to be playing though?
    Surely not planned as a backup to Small, so if Small is playing then will Edwards slot in at CB or midfield?

• I posted this on the Ahadme thread, I have a feeling he’s our long-term Leaburn replacement.

The SMT are banging on about a more sustainable set up and are perhaps looking at the Peterborough model. They pay large fees for promising players they know they will sell for profit, sometimes within a year. 

I think Leaburn is at the end of that cycle, when fit he will command decent money. I’m also convinced if he had stayed fit he would’ve been sold by now. 

I think that’s why he isn’t being rushed back to playing, they’re taking the extra time so he’ll have a good run in the team till the January window and then be sold. Some of that money will be reinvested in the squad, the rest to keep the losses down. I think this is what Charlie has sold to the owners, some of it is outlined in the Texas document.

Just my hunch mind, I’m not ITK but it may fit some of what has already been revealed.

I’m hoping Charlie boy can pull this off as it can work. I would say that Peterborough have been working this way for 20 years now and their network must be very refined by now. Not as exciting as owners just splashing cash but as with Peterborough it is more sustainable.
    It has to be attempted really unless you have an owner throwing tens of millions at it.

Roland and Sandgaard both tried it but it rarely worked out as planned. Injuries ruined some players due to the lack of depth (Vetokele for example) while others weren’t good enough (DJ comes to mind).

You’ve also got to give the best chance by appointing a good manager and properly backing them.

With Nathan Jones I feel we have a great chance of that. So far he’s been backed but we need plenty more. I’m looking forward to seeing who our next few signings are. We should now have quality and depth up front (fitness pending), but a top GK, left sided CB and a couple of midfielders will make a huge difference with three if not four needing to be regular starters.

Won't Leaburn have only 6 months left on his contract by January? Hardly think he'd be sold for big bucks then. Think we're counting on him signing another contract, as apparently his parents are suggesting it's the best thing for him.
  • Helpful from Iain Liddle on Twitter… what do we need next?

• sam3110 said:
    If him and Godden have been financed by selling May, then I think overall it's good business, as though we've lost the highest goalscorer in the league, I feel those 2 will contribute to the team game more overall 
    Now we need 25 goals minimum between the pair of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• We 100% need to strengthen the middle of the park as next highest priority looking at that squad depth. Mirroring what others have said but 2 CMs, 1 CB, 1 GK on permanent deals and then maybe some supporting loans to allow us to play with width if desired 
  • Reams saying we made Louie Sibley an offer, he recently signed for Oxford after leaving Derby.
  • edited July 4
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I posted this on the Ahadme thread, I have a feeling he’s our long-term Leaburn replacement.

You have to be realistic as to where we are as a club, if a top end championship or premier league club come in with 5 mill bid, would be tough for us to reject.. As long as this money is being re invested, that is fine. 
    He needs to play a load more games, with goals, before that will happen.
  • sam3110 said:
    One thing to note as well is whilst the fees involved aren't going to be huge, Mitchell, Edwards, Ahadme and Godden have all cost something, and with the exception of Godden they're all in the early half of their careers, so they do well here and they hit their prime, and they'll have re-sell value
    As long as they're successful. Under Thomas Sandgaard we spent money on young promising players, who would be expected to rise in value, and instead lost money on them. The likes of Kirk, DJ, Lavelle, Fraser. Under Roland/Slade we signed and lost a lot of money on Ajose.

Peterborough have been very successful at this, similarly Brentford, but it's not as easy as it looks.

Won't Leaburn have only 6 months left on his contract by January? Hardly think he'd be sold for big bucks then. Think we're counting on him signing another contract, as apparently his parents are suggesting it's the best thing for him.
    We really need to tie him down. I'm sure he'll agree to an extended deal, the way we've supported him and indeed spent money on his recovery,  but until it actually happens, I'll still be twitchy.
  • barstool said:
    A new red boy in the House 
    Read that as rent boy in the House

must get my eyes checked 😂

We really need to tie him down. I'm sure he'll agree to an extended deal, the way we've supported him and indeed spent money on his recovery,  but until it actually happens, I'll still be twitchy.
    I’ll never blame a player for doing what he thinks is best for his career and bank balance but in Miles case I genuinely think he’ll give signing a deal with us again a serious consideration. He’ll certainly get plenty of good advice from his parents. I’m hopeful anyway.
  • My ideal signings would be: 

Lukas Jensen as the new goalie
    Carl Piergianni as new CB
    Ethan Chislett new attacking mid
    Marc Leonard as the new mid.

If we signed all those with what we have, I have no doubts we will be up there. 

Jensen is young and only has a year left on his contract. 

Piergianni is the experienced captain we need

Chislett will replace Corey's goal threat while suiting Jones system 

And Leonard was probably the best midfielder I saw in the league last year, would love to see him here the most. 

Expect it wouldn't cost too much to get all 4 and, 2 of them at least would be long term signings for this league and above imo. 

Won't happen of course, but I'd love to see it.
    Marc Leonard joined Birmingham ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!