Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I posted this on the Ahadme thread, I have a feeling he’s our long-term Leaburn replacement.

The SMT are banging on about a more sustainable set up and are perhaps looking at the Peterborough model. They pay large fees for promising players they know they will sell for profit, sometimes within a year. 

I think Leaburn is at the end of that cycle, when fit he will command decent money. I’m also convinced if he had stayed fit he would’ve been sold by now. 

I think that’s why he isn’t being rushed back to playing, they’re taking the extra time so he’ll have a good run in the team till the January window and then be sold. Some of that money will be reinvested in the squad, the rest to keep the losses down. I think this is what Charlie has sold to the owners, some of it is outlined in the Texas document.

Just my hunch mind, I’m not ITK but it may fit some of what has already been revealed.

I’m hoping Charlie boy can pull this off as it can work. I would say that Peterborough have been working this way for 20 years now and their network must be very refined by now. Not as exciting as owners just splashing cash but as with Peterborough it is more sustainable.
    Agree with your assessment about Leaburn 

Pity we will not see the best of him in his career.  Just hope money is used wisely.
  • edited July 4
    My ideal signings would be: 

Lukas Jensen as the new goalie
    Carl Piergianni as new CB
    Ethan Chislett new attacking mid
    Marc Leonard as the new mid.

If we signed all those with what we have, I have no doubts we will be up there. 

Jensen is young and only has a year left on his contract. 

Piergianni is the experienced captain we need

Chislett will replace Corey's goal threat while suiting Jones system 

And Leonard was probably the best midfielder I saw in the league last year, would love to see him here the most. 

Expect it wouldn't cost too much to get all 4 and, 2 of them at least would be long term signings for this league and above imo. 

Won't happen of course, but I'd love to see it.
    Keeper happy to wait until end of August for chance of Christian Walton.

Midfield, No 1 on my list is Brendan Wiredu, if Berry isn't our 10 I'd go to Brighton for a loan but for Caylan Vickers. 

At the back, I think Mitchell will be a leader, so a LCB is our main need, no idea who.

For a striker/wide man (if 4-4-2) if Mubama is beyond our reach, I'd go for Kaheim Dixon (loan best for all parties) who I mentioned before may be on our radar already. I guess the European mentioned earlier may also be in this category.

Further loans dictated by our bad luck with injuries up to 31st August.
  • Will be interesting to see who doesn't play at Dartford or travel to Slovenia.

Fraser we can be sure they want to move on.

One if not both of last season's keepers to leave.

Imagine with Taylor, Ness and Henry we'd listen to offers or loans.

A lot of people saying we need another centre half but we have Lloyd Jones, who was out injured most of Nathan's Jones time, coming back plus REG and Gillesphy plus the Mitchell non-brothers.

Not sure how Jones feels about them all bar A. Mitchell.

• Do think it's interesting no one has gone for Piergianni @Braziliance. I'm not his biggest fan but I'm a bit surprised he hasn't gone to Rotherham or been snapped up by someone a bit higher up the chain than Stevenage. Without Evans I don't expect them to do as well this season.
  • I have a funny feeling based on nothing that we will hold out for Sonny Bradley once Derby have signed a someone. 
    This is what I'm hoping for.
    He would make a good captain as well.
  • My ideal signings would be: 

Lukas Jensen as the new goalie
    Carl Piergianni as new CB
    Ethan Chislett new attacking mid
    Marc Leonard as the new mid.

If we signed all those with what we have, I have no doubts we will be up there. 

Jensen is young and only has a year left on his contract. 

Piergianni is the experienced captain we need

Chislett will replace Corey's goal threat while suiting Jones system 

And Leonard was probably the best midfielder I saw in the league last year, would love to see him here the most. 

Expect it wouldn't cost too much to get all 4 and, 2 of them at least would be long term signings for this league and above imo. 

Won't happen of course, but I'd love to see it.
    Marc Leonard joined Birmingham ?
    Not yet, they have bid 450k, seems like a fee we could afford so why not compete for him? 
  • fenaddick said:
    Do think it's interesting no one has gone for Piergianni @Braziliance. I'm not his biggest fan but I'm a bit surprised he hasn't gone to Rotherham or been snapped up by someone a bit higher up the chain than Stevenage. Without Evans I don't expect them to do as well this season.
    It is his age going against him, similar to May. Main difference is, clubs are more willing to spend for goals rather than someone who could stop goals going in.

I think he's worth a fee personally, ridiculous consistency over the course of the season and addresses are fragility at the back, especially with Mitchell signed up. If we had him, and what we already have, we will be a nightmare for opposites from set pieces in both boxes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Do think it's interesting no one has gone for Piergianni @Braziliance. I'm not his biggest fan but I'm a bit surprised he hasn't gone to Rotherham or been snapped up by someone a bit higher up the chain than Stevenage. Without Evans I don't expect them to do as well this season.
    It is his age going against him, similar to May. Main difference is, clubs are more willing to spend for goals rather than someone who could stop goals going in.

I think he's worth a fee personally, ridiculous consistency over the course of the season and addresses are fragility at the back, especially with Mitchell signed up. If we had him, and what we already have, we will be a nightmare for opposites from set pieces in both boxes. 
    I do wonder if people want to see him play for a few months under a different manager, might be a mover in January
  • I have a funny feeling based on nothing that we will hold out for Sonny Bradley once Derby have signed a someone. 
    Sonny Bradley would also do, probably has experience working with Jones as well. 

MarcusH26 said:
    That's a shame, would probably command too big a fee then. Don't believe he would have made the jump up, but to get out of this shite league, good option.
  • I'm not sure on Bradley, don't rate him as much as most. 
  • Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I posted this on the Ahadme thread, I have a feeling he’s our long-term Leaburn replacement.

The SMT are banging on about a more sustainable set up and are perhaps looking at the Peterborough model. They pay large fees for promising players they know they will sell for profit, sometimes within a year. 

I think Leaburn is at the end of that cycle, when fit he will command decent money. I’m also convinced if he had stayed fit he would’ve been sold by now. 

I think that’s why he isn’t being rushed back to playing, they’re taking the extra time so he’ll have a good run in the team till the January window and then be sold. Some of that money will be reinvested in the squad, the rest to keep the losses down. I think this is what Charlie has sold to the owners, some of it is outlined in the Texas document.

Just my hunch mind, I’m not ITK but it may fit some of what has already been revealed.

I’m hoping Charlie boy can pull this off as it can work. I would say that Peterborough have been working this way for 20 years now and their network must be very refined by now. Not as exciting as owners just splashing cash but as with Peterborough it is more sustainable.
    You have to be realistic as to where we are as a club, if a top end championship or premier league club come in with 5 mill bid, would be tough for us to reject.. As long as this money is being re invested, that is fine. 
    We have invested a lot in Miles' rehabilitation and it is hoped Miles acknowledges this and repays us by signing a new deal.  As far as I know he is happy with us and has no intention of jumping ship

He is in high demand because of his statistics and his physical attributes - it's inevitable he will be sold for a good sum of money but hopefully he can fire us up to the Championship.

He really is incredibly unusual to have all the attributes he has and if we can get him fit and firing he is going to be one hell of a player in this division and probably the one above.  Closest I can think of is Morgan Whitaker who went for £1.35m last year to Plymouth but is now in the £10m - £12m bracket - partly after a great season but also because he's in the Championship now

that figure is realistic for us but only in the division above
    We simply have to get him on a new contract, even if it’s only a year extension. In January, overseas clubs can offer him contracts and we could get nothing. There’s already been interest from Germany and that will probably increase if he then becomes available for very little cost 

On the Peterborough model, it’s all well and good trading well, but they’ve been in the championship once in recent years and came straight back down. The academy and size of club/revenue are advantages we have over them, but we can’t start thinking about sustainability until we have got out of league 1 and stabilised at the level above 
  • So, does this count as getting the majority of the squad in early?

NJ said he wanted nine, I make that six.

So that leaves three, maybe four if May leaving means another to replace him (already here is my guess).

The optimistic view is that the players do appear to fit a pattern of play chosen by Jones, are all, bar Godden, fairly young, fill obvious gaps/needs in the squad and are here in time for the first friendly and the summer camp.

The pessimistic view is that we've not seen them perform as a team in competitive games yet and until we do we don't know how well it will work and we're still missing three more players, possibly a keeper, maybe a centre back and probably one of two midfielders.  And we still have players we need to move on.
    Berry isn't.
    True. Editted
  • NabySarr said:
    Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I posted this on the Ahadme thread, I have a feeling he’s our long-term Leaburn replacement.

You have to be realistic as to where we are as a club, if a top end championship or premier league club come in with 5 mill bid, would be tough for us to reject.. As long as this money is being re invested, that is fine. 
    We have invested a lot in Miles' rehabilitation and it is hoped Miles acknowledges this and repays us by signing a new deal.  As far as I know he is happy with us and has no intention of jumping ship

He is in high demand because of his statistics and his physical attributes - it's inevitable he will be sold for a good sum of money but hopefully he can fire us up to the Championship.

He really is incredibly unusual to have all the attributes he has and if we can get him fit and firing he is going to be one hell of a player in this division and probably the one above.  Closest I can think of is Morgan Whitaker who went for £1.35m last year to Plymouth but is now in the £10m - £12m bracket - partly after a great season but also because he's in the Championship now

We simply have to get him on a new contract, even if it’s only a year extension. In January, overseas clubs can offer him contracts and we could get nothing. There’s already been interest from Germany and that will probably increase if he then becomes available for very little cost 

On the Peterborough model, it’s all well and good trading well, but they’ve been in the championship once in recent years and came straight back down. The academy and size of club/revenue are advantages we have over them, but we can’t start thinking about sustainability until we have got out of league 1 and stabilised at the level above 
    The club can only do so much. 
  • From the other forum, sounds like the mystery Jamaican is Kaheim Dixon
  • follett said:
    From the other forum, sounds like the mystery Jamaican is Kaheim Dixon
    I would be surprised if he's been training with us seeing as he was in Jamaica's national team at the Copa America
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Probably doesn’t help Piergianni isn’t that good a footballer, and suited Evans system of ruining football matches 

• edited July 4
    sam3110 said:
    follett said:
    I would be surprised if he's been training with us seeing as he was in Jamaica's national team at the Copa America
    I  think this is meant to be separate from that, to be fair I may be incorrectly reading between the lines as everything is a bit cryptic
    Sonny Bradley would also do, probably has experience working with Jones as well. 

MarcusH26 said:
    That's a shame, would probably command too big a fee then. Don't believe he would have made the jump up, but to get out of this shite league, good option.
    Not a Jones sort of player, mainly because he is very slow and the turning circle of an oil tanker. I agree that he has a physical presence, and reads the game quite well, but Jones want's dynamism all over the pitch, so it's a no from me.
  • sam3110 said:
    One thing to note as well is whilst the fees involved aren't going to be huge, Mitchell, Edwards, Ahadme and Godden have all cost something, and with the exception of Godden they're all in the early half of their careers, so they do well here and they hit their prime, and they'll have re-sell value
    As long as they're successful. Under Thomas Sandgaard we spent money on young promising players, who would be expected to rise in value, and instead lost money on them. The likes of Kirk, DJ, Lavelle, Fraser. Under Roland/Slade we signed and lost a lot of money on Ajose.

Peterborough have been very successful at this, similarly Brentford, but it's not as easy as it looks.
    Absolutely! Peterborough and Brentford have been working on it for a while, you need real experts who know what they’re doing. Oh crap, we’ve got Andy Scott! Oh well.
  • No idea what/who has been mentioned, but this mystery player is interesting and makes me think whether it is Kaheim Dixon. A young Jamaican international who actually played more minutes in the Copa America than Anderson did. Might be completely wrong, but as an attacking player it fits the out there/exciting bits and pieces we have been told.
  • NabySarr said:
    Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

The club can only do so much. 
    I think Peterborough being top end League 1 is already a massive improvement of where they were before they started this approach. My Posh supporting mate moans about not be able to stay in the Championship but he forgets that they’d spent almost their entire existence before that as a mid table L2 side. They are already consistently punching above their weight.

MarcusH26 said:
    Not a Jones sort of player, mainly because he is very slow and the turning circle of an oil tanker. I agree that he has a physical presence, and reads the game quite well, but Jones want's dynamism all over the pitch, so it's a no from me.
    That might rule out Sonny Bradley as well then potentially, as that bloke moves a bit like a fridge. 

I genuinely thought Carl seemed fairly nimble at the Valley.

Does anyone know a site where you can look at players top speeds etc for league1? Or is our league too pants to find stuff like that
  • Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You only have to think of some of the fees ex Peterborough strikers have commanded in the past when in L1. A record scoring season at his age could see a big fee coming in.
  • edited July 4
  • edited July 4
    sam3110 said:
    follett said:

And he doesn't play for Mount Pleasant.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!