Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Yann897 said:
    First signing ?

Think his name was mentioned a while back as a possible signing. I know nothing about him so is he the goalkeeper that's capable of helping us to promotion or a typical Charlton Poundland signing ? I just checked & he only played 14 league games for Cambridge last season so assume he was back up. Good to see the owners are pushing the boat out if this rumour is true.
  • Yann897 said:
    First signing ?

Think his name was mentioned a while back as a possible signing. I know nothing about him so is he the goalkeeper that's capable of helping us to promotion or a typical Charlton Poundland signing ? I just checked & he only played 14 league games for Cambridge last season so assume he was back up. Good to see the owners are pushing the boat out if this rumour is true.
    To be fair it looks like he took the starting position fairly late in the season then kept it on merit, I wouldn't necessarily say the relatively few games is indicating to his quality. I think he's pretty well thought of though and at 26 he's still young for a keeper.

Does suggest that at least one of AMB or Isted is going to be moved on though - which is a very good thing.
  • edited June 4
    Leuth said:
    He's young and extremely highly rated ftr

Sounds promising but highly rated by who?

I looked at the Cambridge forum when we were linked before and their fans were generally of the view they would have preferred to have kept him but weren't overly bothered by the fact he was going.  A quote I remember was something like "that's the life of a L1 second choice keeper, you have to go to whoever offers you the most money".  

He's 26 yrs old and played 29 games in the football league with all of them for a club who narrowly avoided relegation from L1, nothing in those stats says highly rated.

The rumour was he would provide competition for another new keeper and my hope is he is a cheaper version of AMB and Isted and that we can move them on, which allows us to have a slightly bigger budget for a quality number one.
  • JamesSeed said:

Every year I lose money backing Charlton for promotion, barring 2019) so I thought I’d avoid having a bet this year. But couldn’t resist a peek at the odds. They make fairly grim reading.   

Latest Paddy Power odds:

Birmingham 3/1

Bolton 8/1

Huddersfield 8/1

Wrexham 11/1

Peterborough 12/1

Rotherham 12/1

Reading 14/1

Barnsley 14/1

Charlton 16/1

Stockport 18/1

Makes pretty depressing reading. 

It’s going to take a lot of good signings to shift those odds. 

These are the odds to win the title not for promotion. Our odds for promotion are around 6/1 
    I know. 
  • Would expect both Isted and AMB to be off if this happens. 
    Is he injury proof then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

I looked at the Cambridge forum when we were linked before and their fans were generally of the view they would have preferred to have kept him but weren't overly bothered by the fact he was going.  A quote I remember was something like "that's the life of a L1 second choice keeper, you have to go to whoever offers you the most money".  

He's 26 yrs old and played 29 games in the football league with all of them for a club who narrowly avoided relegation from L1, nothing in those stats says highly rated.

The rumour was he would provide competition for another new keeper and my hope is he is a cheaper version of AMB and Isted and that we can move them on, which allows us to have a slightly bigger budget for a quality number one.

If O'Rourke is correct and we are signing him,  I would think that suggests he is highly rated by Nathan Jones.
  • Redhenry said:
    A little early to start worrying about signings IMHO :)
    I’m sorry, but it’s good to have *something* to worry about, what with everything else in the world being so peachy at the moment. 
  • Leuth said:

In other words, he's s***!
  • Would expect both Isted and AMB to be off if this happens. 
    Hope he don't get injured then, otherwise Gritty or Brown will be coming back.
  • I am certain we go through more keepers than any other club in the country, many of whom go on to make very successful careers elsewhere.🤔
  • Written off before he plays a minute…
    That’s only slightly more irritating than those who rate him highly without ever having seen him play . We haven’t had a good goalkeeper for three seasons , which is a reason why we’ve been so crap, if not one of the main ones .  
  • Sponsored links:

• From his stats it doesn't look the most exciting of signings but can only judge when we see him play, if it happens.
  • He was obviously highly rated at one point as he played for England U19s, but there's been absolutely nothing since to suggest he is any good.

Not establishing himself as number 1 in three years at Cambridge doesn't say a lot for him and 3 seasons ago they loaned him out to Havant in the National league south.

However that doesn't necessarily mean much. Nick Pope (although younger) was jumping around various non-league loans and 3 years after being on loan at Aldershot was Burnley's number 1 in the Premier league.
  • edited June 5
    Another season & another new goalkeeper. Last year is was Woolacott, the season before it was Magilveray. I expect in 2025 we'll be ditching Mannion & going for someone else. 

Some stability would be nice.
    Absolutely Golfie, I’m fed up with us changing our goalie every season.

How on earth can supporters identify with them, if they change every 5 minutes.

Why not get someone good and stick with them, in fact you could say that throughout the team, in different positions.

Whatever methods of recruitment we have been using, have not been good enough, so no wonder we are failing.

Seems nuts to have the divisions best goals scorer, playing in a side that finishes 16th.

We ship way too many goals as a team, and I hope this is severely addressed in the coming months, otherwise it will be another season of mediocrity.
  • If he's not going to be our number one I don't see the point in signing him unless we sell both our keeper's. 

• Not too bothered by the Mannion signing , we need an upgrade in the keeper department and it's clear Jones doesn't rate AMB or Isted enough to make them his No1. So Mannion and probably a more " experienced" keeper will be the route we go. 

Could see Isted going back to Barnsley. 
  • Personally had hoped we would keep AMB as the competition to a new No1, but looking less likely and appears it will be all change in the GK department. Isted didn’t at all hit the capability levels Barnsley fans had indicated we should expect, so not at all sorry to see him move on. 

Whoever becomes number 1 needs a bark on him and one which does not shy away from keeping on the case of those in front of him. 
  • I see Mannion as the replacement for the third keeper spot since ward has left. Should imagine one of AMB and Isted will move on and we will have a new number 1 with more experience like Jed Steer. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!