Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• If Mannion signs I suspect affordability will rub shoulder to shoulder with however he is rated by anybody.
    I could be wrong of course, and maybe a lot of money will manifest itself in order to re boot everything.
  • After reading that while unemployed NJ has been using his time to build up a dossier on players & spending a few months casting his eye over the dross in our squad I'm surprised that the only credible rumour SO FAR is Mannion.
    While not wetting the bed at the moment I am actively searching for the best deal on bulk purchase of Tena pants just in case.

Would you prefer a newsletter with a list of all his transfer targets? Perhaps we should send it round to all the other clubs as well? 
    There is literally no point leaking on going negotiations apart from fan service. 

Just an email will do thanks
  • I really can't see him being worse than our current options really so on that basis bring him in.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    He's young and extremely highly rated ftr
    He isn't young, 26 isn't young for a footballer, irrespective of a footballers career being prolonged by playing in goal. 

I also doubt he's extremely highly rated, as extremely highly rated goalkeepers aren't 26 years old with less than 30 league appearances playing for Cambridge, and potentially, moving to League 1 Charlton on a free. 

Wherever he ends up being good or not is anyone's guess, but I don't see who is rating him extremely highly..
    Right.

He was a young and very promising keeper at Premiership/Championship Hull, yes?

Then three things happened at once. Hull went down to League One. Covid pandemic struck. Mannion's contract expired. 

So he was let go in the worst possible circumstances. And with the whole world, let alone football, in chaos. It was the worst possible timing.

Do you really blame him for going to Pafos (which is a lovely place into the bargain) and restarting his career that way in the circumstances?

It means he's had to build again from scratch. But 26 is still young for a keeper, and he's been getting a bunch of very good reviews.

I'd still say he's young and very highly rated. He hasn't played much yet for a bunch of reasons, many of which were beyond his control.

Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2016–2020 Hull City 0 (0)
    2017Plymouth Argyle (loan) 0 (0)
    2018–2019Aldershot Town (loan) 22 (0)
    2019–2020Kidderminster Harriers (loan) 17 (0)
    2020–2021 Pafos 0 (0)
    2021– Cambridge United 29 (0)
    2021–2022Havant & Waterlooville (loan) 11 (0

Not the most impressive of stats, and nothing screaming of "highly rated".
    Still, as is correctly put on here by a few posters, a player can be judged when they put on the shirt.
  • Sponsored links:

• You'll be Ruddy suprised when you find out who the n.1 GK is planned to be.
    Will we be Johnny on the Spot?
  • thenewbie said:
    I really can't see him being worse than our current options really so on that basis bring him in.
    Big Craig was Pompey's POTY and I'd say he was a similar level to these 2.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    0 goals? Pathetic. 

Not much more in appearances either.
  • edited June 5
    It’s a gamble but it’s what we have to start doing to get an advantage over the competition.

There’s always talk of being first to uncover good players - needing to find them 12 months before they break out after which the whole EFL wants them. It’s a strategy that means some won’t work out and be flops.

It sounds as if Mannion was being tipped for Cambridge no. 1 next season. If he kept 15+ clean sheets and we’re still mid table League One then suddenly he has many more attractive options than us.
    Ruddy hell it’s Soft Cell 
  • I find keepers the hardest position to rate.

There’s so many examples of keepers even being 2nd choice, or plying their trade around at lower levels before all of sudden breaking into the 1st team at higher levels.

It’s such a weird position. I mean Neil Etheridge went from barely playing, until he was 25, to then become a first choice goalkeeper in the premiership at 28 to beginning to not play again.

I think the only thing that is probably safe to assume is that neither AMB or Isted are anywhere close to what we need.
    Agree. Look at Pope, no one batted an eyelid when he left to join Burnley. I think most of us thought he was okay, but who would have thought he'd be playing for England two years later.

Would be surprised if he left Brum having basically been ever present. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    You'll be Ruddy suprised when you find out who the n.1 GK is planned to be.

Apparently Brum have tabled a reduced contract for him to  stay there and Blackburn are poised to make him an offer.
  • Darren Randolph released by Bournemouth. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 5
    Darren Randolph released by Bournemouth. 
    I'd bring him back if we could afford him.

Even if he only had one year left in him, a good keeper is worth 10 points a season.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    He's young and extremely highly rated ftr
    He isn't young, 26 isn't young for a footballer, irrespective of a footballers career being prolonged by playing in goal. 

I also doubt he's extremely highly rated, as extremely highly rated goalkeepers aren't 26 years old with less than 30 league appearances playing for Cambridge, and potentially, moving to League 1 Charlton on a free. 

Wherever he ends up being good or not is anyone's guess, but I don't see who is rating him extremely highly..
    Right.

He was a young and very promising keeper at Premiership/Championship Hull, yes?

Then three things happened at once. Hull went down to League One. Covid pandemic struck. Mannion's contract expired. 

So he was let go in the worst possible circumstances. And with the whole world, let alone football, in chaos. It was the worst possible timing.

Do you really blame him for going to Pafos (which is a lovely place into the bargain) and restarting his career that way in the circumstances?

It means he's had to build again from scratch. But 26 is still young for a keeper, and he's been getting a bunch of very good reviews.

I'd still say he's young and very highly rated. He hasn't played much yet for a bunch of reasons, many of which were beyond his control.

Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2016–2020 Hull City 0 (0)
    2017Plymouth Argyle (loan) 0 (0)
    2018–2019Aldershot Town (loan) 22 (0)
    2019–2020Kidderminster Harriers (loan) 17 (0)
    2020–2021 Pafos 0 (0)
    2021– Cambridge United 29 (0)
    2021–2022Havant & Waterlooville (loan) 11 (0

Not the most impressive of stats, and nothing screaming of "highly rated".
    Still, as is correctly put on here by a few posters, a player can be judged when they put on the shirt.
    Terrible stats! Never even scored!
  • Richard J said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Apparently Brum have tabled a reduced contract for him to  stay there and Blackburn are poised to make him an offer.

Even at 37 I'd think he could still get a championship gig. Would be slightly surprised if he was a genuine target for us.
  • shirty5 said:
    Walton of Ipswich …. Is the keeper we want 
  • shirty5 said:
    John Boy? 
  • shirty5 said:

....Is what Reams on ITTV has hinted at this afternoon
    I take it that Ipswich know of our (other) interest and want a fee. 
  • suspect that's why they activated the one year option on his contract. Be a cracking signing if they pull it off
  • Walton would be a fantastic signing , played for NJ before at Luton and would be a real coup if we can make it happen and Ipswich don't want a ridiculous fee. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!