Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I think Jones only rates him because of the first name.  :)

Was at Brighton and Luton with Jones so it makes sense but will he want to drop down to League 1 when he could hang around at a EPL club?

Plus our record of recent signings from Ipswich has been poor.
  • I'm sure Ipswich will consider our position as their potential feeder Club 😪
  • shirty5 said:
    You'll be Ruddy suprised when you find out who the n.1 GK is planned to be.
    Ruddy hell it’s Soft Cell 
    Walton of Ipswich …. Is the keeper we want 

....Is what Reams on ITTV has hinted at this afternoon
    I take it that Ipswich know of our (other) interest and want a fee. 
    Or they just want to keep him - even as backup.
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    John Boy? 
    Spurs
  • It’s a gamble but it’s what we have to start doing to get an advantage over the competition.

There’s always talk of being first to uncover good players - needing to find them 12 months before they break out after which the whole EFL wants them. It’s a strategy that means some won’t work out and be flops.

It sounds as if Mannion was being tipped for Cambridge no. 1 next season. If he kept 15+ clean sheets and we’re still mid table League One then suddenly he has many more attractive options than us.

The issue with gambles is we need probably 8-10 new players; many of those need to be first team 11 players as we already have enough squad depth ones.  

As you say, taking gambles means some work out, some don't.  Best recruitment of this type of player is probably 50% success.  If we bring in 10 players, 5 are a success and 5 fail we likely stay down and our owners write off another £10M to stay in L1.  

Of course if Mannion is to be 2nd choice keeper the risk is minimal.
  • Charlton Athletic and Bristol Rovers have both reportedly met the asking price for full-back Josh Edwards from Dunfermline, according to The Courier. 

The defender is set to hold talks with the Addicks and The Gas over a potential move after both clubs reportedly had bids accepted by the Scottish club.

Actual rumour with a legitimate source, credit where its due Ronnie Moore! 
    Indeed, that's the way to do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• You'd think we're more appealing but Bristol could offer him guaranteed playing time which we won't I don't think. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    You'd think we're more appealing but Bristol could offer him guaranteed playing time which we won't I don't think. 
    Rovers have money now too, still hope he have more pulling power though 
  • fenaddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    You'd think we're more appealing but Bristol could offer him guaranteed playing time which we won't I don't think. 
    Rovers have money now too, still hope he have more pulling power though 

Rovers aren't super minted, their owner is but he's never really put large sums in at one time just steadily given budget increases to improve their squad 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Assuming we are getting 2 keepers in that's now a shopping list of:

Mannion
    GK
    RWB
    CB
    CB
    LWB
    CM (Luke Berry?)
    CM
    CM
    STR

Maybe even more!?
    Maybe but the key thing to get right is the spine of the team, which is currently completely  lacking.
    By spine I mean
    -Goalkeeper who dominates the penalty area
    -Centre back who leads and organises the defence
    -Midfield General (like Cullen)
    -Striker whom Alfie can play off.(Maybe Leaburn if fit)
    We have to get all these 4 positions right, everybody else is second order.
  • edited June 5
    It’s a gamble but it’s what we have to start doing to get an advantage over the competition.

There’s always talk of being first to uncover good players - needing to find them 12 months before they break out after which the whole EFL wants them. It’s a strategy that means some won’t work out and be flops.

It sounds as if Mannion was being tipped for Cambridge no. 1 next season. If he kept 15+ clean sheets and we’re still mid table League One then suddenly he has many more attractive options than us.

The issue with gambles is we need probably 8-10 new players; many of those need to be first team 11 players as we already have enough squad depth ones.  

As you say, taking gambles means some work out, some don't.  Best recruitment of this type of player is probably 50% success.  If we bring in 10 players, 5 are a success and 5 fail we likely stay down and our owners write off another £10M to stay in L1.  

Of course if Mannion is to be 2nd choice keeper the risk is minimal.
    But if we target 8-10 sure successes (they don’t exist but let’s assume) then you quite often lose out to teams in a better position than you. Aaron Collins to Bolton in January springs to mind. Meanwhile someone who was attainable has just signed for someone else and has a good season. 

We should be shopping in both markets at the same time really.
  • shirty5 said:

....Is what Reams on ITTV has hinted at this afternoon
    well that's not happening then. 
    He gets a lot of rumours right. Rumours are rumours. So of course some will fall through..
  • Well if he goes Bristol rovers over us is this legitimate grounds for a small meltdown?  The budget should, if promotion worthy, be beating them to a signing you’d hope.  
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Well if he goes Bristol rovers over us is this legitimate grounds for a small meltdown?  The budget should, if promotion worthy, be beating them to a signing you’d hope.  
    A dozen things go into a signing, it's not just who throws more money at the player
    ...Unless your name is Lyle Taylor...🙄
  • Well if he goes Bristol rovers over us is this legitimate grounds for a small meltdown?  The budget should, if promotion worthy, be beating them to a signing you’d hope.  
    We seen London not the pull it use to be ..even offering double the money can’t persuade players and more important their family to move to a troubled capital city 
    How many of our players actually live in London? Maybe some of the younger ones might want to, but I’d imagine most live in nicer places further out 
  • sam3110 said:
    Well if he goes Bristol rovers over us is this legitimate grounds for a small meltdown?  The budget should, if promotion worthy, be beating them to a signing you’d hope.  
    A dozen things go into a signing, it's not just who throws more money at the player
    Whilst my comment was tongue in cheek.  I disagree in general.  Wrexham and Ipswich regularly beat teams in leagues above to signings with cold hard consideration.  
  • ross1 said:
    Many still on holiday 
    Since August, 2023.
  • six weeks this weekend since our last game. It's felt like an eternity. With not a single bit of significant news to chew over since the retained list. Desperate for a signing not due to incontinence issues but due to boredom.
  • mart77 said:

WIOTOS, then I might believe it..🙄
  • mart77 said:

WIOTOS, then I might believe it..🙄

He's on holiday ATM so unless it was agreed before he went I doubt that's true. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!