Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Certainly not writing him off but seems like needless hassle to get 2 GKs in and ship 2 out. Surely keep 1 of Isted or AMB as back up and bring in a first choice?
  • Certainly not writing him off but seems like needless hassle to get 2 GKs in and ship 2 out. Surely keep 1 of Isted or AMB as back up and bring in a first choice?
    I would imagine some of the pressure will be that both AMB and Isted will want first team football and NJ clearly doesn’t rate them high enough to give them that. Perhaps Mannion is more amenable to the idea of starting off as a number 2 and battling his way in to the team.
  • edited June 5
    Would expect both Isted and AMB to be off if this happens. 
    Is he injury proof then?
    No but I don't think he'd be coming in as third choice, it's most likely he'll be second choice.

I'd like to think neither Isted or AMB will be number 1 and they won't be 3rd choice either so that indicates they're both off. 
  • We have found it very difficult to move on unwanted players still under contract in recent years.

Partly, I suspect, because we  pay them more than they would get at other clubs that want them and partly because they are being moved on because they haven't performed.

Kirk is a prime example but add Fraser, McGrandles and now Isted and AMB to that list. Perhaps Taylor too.

Move them on is easier said than done but this is what happens when you constantly changes managers and technical directors; no consistancy, no long term thinking, lots of other people's unwanted players taking up squad space and wages.
    This in spades. 
  • I see Mannion as the replacement for the third keeper spot since ward has left. Should imagine one of AMB and Isted will move on and we will have a new number 1 with more experience like Jed 

Mannion will be back up to another target we are after as number one .

• Not surprised to see Panchute Camera released by Ipswich.
  • Thommo said:
    Not surprised to see Panchute Camera released by Ipswich.
    Fully expect him to join a League One team, where we get to enjoy watching him spank us into submission when we play them next season then
    Averaging 6 appearances over the last two seasons, so we'd be unlucky. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cfgs said:
    Or NJ doesn't think either of our current two are good enough.
    None of us think our current two are good enough to be first choice, but that doesn't mean that anyone would be better. 

Mannion has 29 EFL appearances in his entire career at the age of 26. Even as No 2 keeper, that doesn't scream out a step up over retaining either Isted or AMB.
  • Thommo said:
    Fully expect him to join a League One team, where we get to enjoy watching him spank us into submission when we play them next season then
    What will his goal celebration against us be like? I'm going for the cupping the ear one.
  • edited June 5
    Assuming we are getting 2 keepers in that's now a shopping list of:

Mannion
    GK
    RWB
    CB
    CB
    LWB
    CM (Luke Berry?)
    CM
    CM
    STR

Maybe even more!?
  • edited June 5
    Dazzler21 said:

Mannion
    GK
    RWB
    CB
    CB
    LWB (Joe Edwards?)
    CM (Luke Berry?)
    CM
    CM
    STR

Maybe even more!?
  • Thommo said:
    They've taken up the year option on Christian Walton though, who some were very convinced we'd sign on a free.
  • Thommo said:
    They've taken up the year option on Christian Walton though, who some were very convinced we'd sign on a free.
    Think he was more of a wish list for many. However watching Ipswich on the last day of the season, and the reception Walton got when he was subbed on, he's still very popular there

The only reason he hadn't been playing was due to injury, and then lost his place as a result
  • Dazzler21 said:

Mannion
    GK
    RWB
    CB
    CB
    LWB
    CM (Luke Berry?)
    CM
    CM
    STR

Maybe even more!?

Probably add at least 1 out and out winger to that list.

• If he's not going to be our number one I don't see the point in signing him unless we sell both our keeper's. 
    I think that will have to be it. Jones obviously doesn't rate AMB and Isted failed his audition under him. If you're in a position where you want a good number 1 but wouldn't be confident in putting in the backup for any period of time then you need a full change
  • If he's not going to be our number one I don't see the point in signing him unless we sell both our keeper's. 
    I think that will have to be it. Jones obviously doesn't rate AMB and Isted failed his audition under him. If you're in a position where you want a good number 1 but wouldn't be confident in putting in the backup for any period of time then you need a full change
    And I think that would be the correct decision. AMB is a good shot-stopper but doesn't seem to command his area. Isted also looks like your average L1 keeper. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cfgs said:
    Or NJ doesn't think either of our current two are good enough.
    None of us think our current two are good enough to be first choice, but that doesn't mean that anyone would be better. 

Mannion has 29 EFL appearances in his entire career at the age of 26. Even as No 2 keeper, that doesn't scream out a step up over retaining either Isted or AMB.
    Not what I was saying, but if NJ doesn't rate our current two he will try and replace them.  Maybe he rates Mannion, I haven't seen enough of him to form my own opinion, or maybe he likes him but thinks he will suit a backup role better.  But both our current two have a mistake in them.
  • Not sure why this discussion is even taking place. Pretty sure Cawley confirmed when Mannion was first mentioned, that he was coming in to provide competition to an experienced number 1. 

Personally, I would go for Onkonkwo who I believe Arsenal have released. However, I am guessing he will go back to Wrexham.
  • Mannion screams number 2. Don't see a problem with it as i don't think Isted/AMB are up to do it. I would prefer to ship Isted personally for what its worth
  • Would be ironic if Mannion is our first signing after weeks of Ronnie telling us we are not going down the free transfer route like Rotherham.
  • After reading that while unemployed NJ has been using his time to build up a dossier on players & spending a few months casting his eye over the dross in our squad I'm surprised that the only credible rumour SO FAR is Mannion.
    While not wetting the bed at the moment I am actively searching for the best deal on bulk purchase of Tena pants just in case.

• Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe in enough at RWB.

Similarly Small, Edun and a new signing will be fine on the left. Between those 6 (Watson has played both sides before, and Edun can cover midfield) we'll have the numbers, and tbh the quality as well because at the end of the day to have a competitive squad in league 1 that doesn't break the bank you aren't going to have 4 wingbacks that would walk into every other team's starting XI as it just doesn't make sense
  • Leuth said:
    He's young and extremely highly rated ftr
    He isn't young, 26 isn't young for a footballer, irrespective of a footballers career being prolonged by playing in goal. 

I also doubt he's extremely highly rated, as extremely highly rated goalkeepers aren't 26 years old with less than 30 league appearances playing for Cambridge, and potentially, moving to League 1 Charlton on a free. 

Wherever he ends up being good or not is anyone's guess, but I don't see who is rating him extremely highly..
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!