Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

Reckon that fitted in well, till you deleted it...šŸ˜‰
  • Davies is known to Jones. He brought him to compete with Jack Butland when he was at Stoke.

He would be a good signing in my view.
  • Davies is a better age than some that have been linked - Ruddy etc.

31 is still reasonably young for a keeper.
    Will be 32 next month but realistically you could get two good years out of him at least and we can see if Mannion progresses while weā€™re at it
    At age 32 I would suspect he would be looking for a three year deal to run down his career. Could be worth it if we think heā€™s a good GK. 35 would be fine for a GK and perhaps that last year on the bench if Mannion comes through.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    He's young and extremely highly rated ftr
    He isn't young, 26 isn't young for a footballer, irrespective of a footballers career being prolonged by playing in goal.Ā 

I also doubt he's extremely highly rated, as extremely highly rated goalkeepers aren't 26 years old with less than 30 league appearances playing for Cambridge, and potentially, moving to League 1 Charlton on a free.Ā 

Wherever he ends up being good or not is anyone's guess, but I don't see who is rating him extremely highly..
    Right.

He was a young and very promising keeper at Premiership/Championship Hull, yes?

Then three things happened at once. Hull went down to League One. Covid pandemic struck. Mannion's contract expired.Ā 

So he was let go in the worst possible circumstances. And with the whole world, let alone football, in chaos. It was the worst possible timing.

Do you really blame him for going to Pafos (which is a lovely place into the bargain) and restarting his career that way in the circumstances?

It means he's had to build again from scratch. But 26 is still young for a keeper, and he's been getting a bunch of very good reviews.

I'd still say he's young and very highly rated. He hasn't played much yet for a bunch of reasons, many of which were beyond his control.
    Fair enough you've formed your own rationale, I just think it's pretty broad to say he's extremely rated when in the grand scheme of football he isn't. I wouldn't even say he's extremely rated in English football.Ā 

Either way I hope he does well and he'll have done well to be any worse than the current crop we have. Expectations are low so he has that on his side if he ends up in the sticksĀ 
  • Next issue will be finding someone who wants Isted & AMB, I would imagine a lot of the clubs that would call them both No.1s also don't have loads of cash
  • edited June 7
    Adam Davies was very decent when he was in league 1, hard to judge him too much after that as he's earned his wages sitting on the bench in higher leagues as a few of you have said.

I trust Nathan Jones to get this one right, but the version of Davies that was at Barnsley was probably better than any keeper we have had since Hamer or Pope imo. If we get that version it's a bit of a coupĀ 
  • Next issue will be finding someone who wants Isted & AMB, I would imagine a lot of the clubs that would call them both No.1s also don't have loads of cash
    AMB will probably go on loan to L2/lower L1. Think there will be plenty of takers there
  • Davies is a better age than some that have been linked - Ruddy etc.

31 is still reasonably young for a keeper.
    Will be 32 next month but realistically you could get two good years out of him at least and we can see if Mannion progresses while weā€™re at it
    I think you can easily have a keeper playing to a decent level past that.

Look at the Championship last season - Begovic, Hamer, Ruddy, Bialkowski etc all 36, 37.

Davies being 5 years younger than some others rumoured is a positive for me.
    If it really comes to it we might have to forego a fee for either or both and take the hit. Preferably we will find a loan option for one, ideally one where we don't pay the whole wage, but if the bosses are sincere about putting money into promotion then I'm sure a way can be found.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think Isted will still have enough credit from his spell at Barnsley to get another League 1 club . AMB I can see being harder to shift and might have to be a loan somewhere.Ā 
  • thenewbie said:
    Next issue will be finding someone who wants Isted & AMB, I would imagine a lot of the clubs that would call them both No.1s also don't have loads of cash
    If it really comes to it we might have to forego a fee for either or both and take the hit. Preferably we will find a loan option for one, ideally one where we don't pay the whole wage, but if the bosses are sincere about putting money into promotion then I'm sure a way can be found.
    We're absolutely not getting a fee, it's just a question of whether we find anyone to take them permanently etc rather than a loan where we might end up paying some wages still.
  • Crusty54 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Think Isted will still have enough credit from his spell at Barnsley to get another League 1 club . AMB I can see being harder to shift and might have to be a loan somewhere.Ā 
    I think AMB has reached the end of the line at Charlton. Releasing him to get him off the books would be best.

Yeah it's a tough one , I spent last season waiting for him to develop further and he just didn't. Feels like a fresh start somewhere new would be ideal for him. Still capable of some fantastic saves but I never felt comfortable with him in terms of communication.Ā 
  • Think AMB is young and promising enough for someone to take a punt on him and unless we have stuck him on daft wages then a free from us (maybe with a sell on clause) would likely work for both parties and we won't need to subsidise.

Isted I suspect is on larger wages than others will pay (we got him free when he would have been in more demand), but he only has a year left so maybe someone pays him a little less but gives him 3 years and everyone is happy again.

Neither are likely to be in the Kirk/Fraser bracket of complete duds we are/have tried to move on who are paid far, far too much.
  • Barnsley fans absolutely loved Adam Davies when he was there. But then they loved Isted as well so maybe they canā€™t be trustedĀ 
    Nothing wrong with IstedĀ 
    Northampton away? How many times under Jones did Isted push the ball back into trouble and not to safety?

above it says keepers should earn 10 points. Under Jones, posted cost is at least 5.

two new keepers are needed
  • Crusty54 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Think Isted will still have enough credit from his spell at Barnsley to get another League 1 club . AMB I can see being harder to shift and might have to be a loan somewhere.Ā 
    I think AMB has reached the end of the line at Charlton. Releasing him to get him off the books would be best.

He's under contract for 2 more years, I imagine any club interested in him would pay him less, so it would involve a major payoff to get him to moveĀ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Barnsley fans absolutely loved Adam Davies when he was there. But then they loved Isted as well so maybe they canā€™t be trustedĀ 
    Northampton away? How many times under Jones did Isted push the ball back into trouble and not to safety?

above it says keepers should earn 10 points. Under Jones, posted cost is at least 5.

So what about the saves he made saved us more points then lost ā€¦

Jones doesn't rate him, that's all that matters.Ā 

Examples ā€¦
  • edited June 7
    No way does AMB get a 1st choice GK league 1 move, would do well to get League 2
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Might be worth a loan to Bromley, now they are in League 2, to get his confidence back.
  • Swisdom said:
    Barnsley fans absolutely loved Adam Davies when he was there. But then they loved Isted as well so maybe they canā€™t be trustedĀ 
    The gift that keeps on giving

if anyone thinks heā€™s the answer to our goalkeeping conundrum they are very wrong
    Actually @Swisdom, has anyone seen Ronnie play in goal, you may have hit on something there..šŸ™„
  • https://x.com/DanClarkPR/status/1799023474008281597

No idea if reputable journo, but suggesting Luke Berry to Wycombe
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!