Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Serbia Euro 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• MrBurns said:
    Our midfield worries more than the defence. Guehi looks solid 
    Looked better with Gallagher on than Alexander-Arnold, which along with Foden being dropped, is the big change I can see for Thursday evening
  • Wasn't pretty buts a wins a win. Bellingham class. 
  • MrBurns said:
    Our midfield worries more than the defence. Guehi looks solid 
    Looked better with Gallagher on than Alexander-Arnold, which along with Foden being dropped, is the big change I can see for Thursday evening
    I’d give Trent one more go at it because he had a couple of moments. Foden though, continues to disappoint in an England shirt.

Need a wide outlet that will stretch a defence and get on the end of TAA’s passes. Foden out, Gordon in for me.
  • Don’t think England were ever in much trouble. Feel like there’s more to come with a squad that talented. 

Worst match of the tournament so far though! 
  • Clean sheet win.... and Bellingham is a class apart. But gor all the hupe around our great attacking players, we were good first half and poor second. Surely we should know what we are doing by now?
    Spain won a world Cup with this tippy tappy stuff, but I don't remember them bring so aimless and then giving the ball away the way we did.
    I guess we have to hope we are saving all our best stuff for the knock out stages.
  • "There were just 11 shots between Serbia (6) and England (5) tonight, the lowest of any game at the EUROs on record (since 1980)."
  • I liked Trent barring the one mistake. He sits deeper alongside rice, Gallagher a bit more box to box. Depends on the opposition who to start. More worried by Southgate, never makes a change proactively, and doesn't react well. 
    I thought kane and foden were poor. Bellingham had to do all kanes running for him. 
    Would like to see some pace on that left, maybe Gordon.
  • edited June 16
    "There were just 11 shots between Serbia (6) and England (5) tonight, the lowest of any game at the EUROs on record (since 1980)."
    Never mind... 1-0 / 5-1... Still leaves us and Germany (for example) with three points, which is all that matters... Lets be honest, no one would give a shit if we won every game this Tournament 1-0
  • Sponsored links:

• "There were just 11 shots between Serbia (6) and England (5) tonight, the lowest of any game at the EUROs on record (since 1980)."
    Never mind... 1-0 / 5-1... Still leaves us and Germany (for example) with three points, which is all that matters... Lets be honest, no one would give a shit if we won every game this Tournament 1-0
    I would say performance still matters though, especially if we want to feel ready for the top teams in the knockout stages. 
    I would say performance still matters though, especially if we want to feel ready for the top teams in the knockout stages. 
    Can perform really well, but if you don't get the three points, you can forget about the worry of being knocked out by France / Germany / Spain, because you wont even get that far.
  • BBC doing a very good job of slating Southgate without openly saying it. The whole play not to lose is Southgate in a nutshell
  • edited June 16
    I was impressed with Serbia, physical but passing was excellent. Too many small midfield fouls. A good ref stamps on that. Foden stood out in terms of having a bad game. Bellingham was a different class. A great save from Kane. It is important to win the first game and we did.
  • edited June 16
    The main thing I took from that was Serbia could have been out there for weeks and still wouldn’t have scored. One speculative effort and nothing else to really report from them. I feel like the shape of the team is going to be a bit of a problem around Bellingham against bigger teams. He’s very free to roam but it left Trent not knowing where to be and gave Kane nothing to knock the ball down to. Probably could have done with having someone closer to him all game but overall this was the game to try a right back at left back and a right back in midfield because Serbia had nothing. Gallagher in for Trent against Denmark and we’ll look a bit more solid. Foden needs to figure something out but if not Eze or Gordon will benefit. 3 points to start off, good stuff 
  • We won. That's what we needed to do.
    Really hope Foden can find his Man City form in an England shirt.  He is such an incredible player for them, he will come good for England.
  • BBC doing a very good job of slating Southgate without openly saying it. The whole play not to lose is Southgate in a nutshell
    Cesc making a lot of sense, basically saying we've got players too talented going forwards to be playing defensively.
    We don't have the defence to leave it unprotected.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Serbia could do well if they get out of the group . They are a good side . That’s a good result 
    They will bully their way to a round of 16 game, potentially a quarter final depending on the luck of their draw.

If they get second in the group, they might end up against Germany. Would be very interesting to see how that game goes.
  • I was impressed with Serbia, physical but passing was excellent. Too many small midfield fouls. A good ref stamps on that. Foden stood out in terms of having a bad game. Bellingham was a different class. A great save from Kane. It is important to win the first game and we did.
    I thought they were pretty shite. Didn't have a kick for the first 30 minutes. Ok they switched it at HT (as they had to) but even then they didn't threaten much.
    Cesc making a lot of sense, basically saying we've got players too talented going forwards to be playing defensively.
    You can protect a defence in more than one way.

Press harder from the front, players are rushed and the balls the defence have to deal with aren't as good.
  • Far too much negativity on here. We need cheering up.

When is Scotland's next game?
    Too true...

When footballing times are fraught.
    Football  worries and anxiety are gnawing at you.
    Doubt and the inevitability of it all are ruining your football experience.
    Just remember, you are not Scotland!

• edited June 16
    I was impressed with Serbia, physical but passing was excellent. Too many small midfield fouls. A good ref stamps on that. Foden stood out in terms of having a bad game. Bellingham was a different class. A great save from Kane. It is important to win the first game and we did.
    I thought they were pretty shite. Didn't have a kick for the first 30 minutes. Ok they switched it at HT (as they had to) but even then they didn't threaten much.
    Their starting tactics were poor but I was looking at the speed and quality of their passing and it was of a higher standard than a few teams I have seen so far.
  • edited June 16
    Certainly squeaky bum time for a lot of that second half but the first game is always a tricky one in these tournaments. We got the win and a clean sheet so I’m not as pessimistic as others on here.

Confident we’ll improve as each game goes by. We build on this and move on to the next.

Thought Phil ‘first touch merchant’ Foden was poor (shouldn’t start against Denmark) and whilst Trent has a wand of a right foot and can unlock defences, defensively he’s a weak link and cannot start against better teams.

Jude, Rice, Guehi and Saka (in the first half) all looked very good.
  • edited June 16
    BBC doing a very good job of slating Southgate without openly saying it. The whole play not to lose is Southgate in a nutshell
    You can protect a defence in more than one way.

Press harder from the front, players are rushed and the balls the defence have to deal with aren't as good.
    You think there aren't ways for teams to bypass that?

The one aspect I always love from pundits, is they'll come up with suggestions as to how teams should play - But forget / ignore that the opposition will analyse that approach, and will find a way to get round it.

For starters, we wont always keep the ball, teams will pass faster to negate the press - What happens when the ball is beyond those attacking players, who dont need to play defensively because they're too good?
  • Are Serbia a good side? Not on that showing. Not the best performance but a win was the main thing
  • Annoying that we look very decent for half an hour then start to ease off, inviting pressure.
    Cesc making a lot of sense, basically saying we've got players too talented going forwards to be playing defensively, and that players need to be given the confidence to want the ball in the big moments etc.

Whether they are being given that....
    Thing is, I don’t think we were super defensive today. I think we were just a bit thick. We broke well for the goal and for the chance Walker flashed across the face of goal and then started being a bit stupid. Lots of loose balls not quite where the winger wanted it, knocks upfield not quite close enough to Kane and midfielders getting rushed and giving the ball away. All our chances came from overloads on the wing but we didn’t create those situations enough and kept giving the ball back to Serbia whenever we won it. Hopefully just early tournament rust