Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Serbia Euro 2024 - Match Thread

1789101113»

Comments

• As someone who barely watches premier league football I'm astonished how rated foden is. He is rarely involved attacking wise and mainly plays the ball back. I know I must be wrong, just like when you see for the first time some striker who's a top scorer in a league in Europe and you've never seen him before, he plays awful and you just ask "how?!"

Guardiola plays him one way and Southgate in another way
  • As someone who barely watches premier league football I'm astonished how rated foden is. He is rarely involved attacking wise and mainly plays the ball back. I know I must be wrong, just like when you see for the first time some striker who's a top scorer in a league in Europe and you've never seen him before, he plays awful and you just ask "how?!"

Guardiola plays him one way and Southgate in another way
    he must of been happy with how he plays him as he was on for the whole game. 
  • edited June 17
    Overall I was not surprised with how it panned out. Thought we would win but not in a dominant style.

We look good for a while but then the opposition adapt, we stay the same. second half the Serbs pressed better and we lost our attacking threat.  Stones , rice and Trent bit slow or surprised by this. Saka was taken out of the game by it. It's the lack of being able to make changes and adapt to how the game goes is something that has always and probably always will with Southgate in charge bothers me. Pickford who I really rate for England had another good game.

I seem to remember many MANY years ago thinking that about Ibrahimovic because he had a few not great Champions League games on the telly when playing English teams.
  • It would be great to see England play with the same energy and enthusiasm as Romania. 
  • Not read other comments but felt we were playing well, scored, we dropped off and allowed Serbia to get into the game. Kane was abysmal and looked shattered.

Need to step it up but we won't. Not in Southgates capacity I'm afraid. 
  • Foden didn't just play as a 10 for City. He played many games on the left and on the right last season.
  • Feel like I'm having a right go at foden now but I was just thinking if he is so good, should he not been able to adjust to play in a role that he might not be so used to? 
  • it was stale and disappointing but a win is a win.  That said, no one in the Spain, Italy, NL, France, German squads are worried about playing England, let alone the rest of our Group.
  • edited June 17
    RoanRedNY said:
    it was stale and disappointing but a win is a win.  That said, no one in the Spain, Italy, NL, France, German squads are worried about playing England, let alone the rest of our Group.
    Good... Let them under-estimate us... Only Italy and France have gone further than us in the last two competitions out of that lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 17
    PWR. Yet again another dull affair under Southgate. He has so much attacking flair at his disposal, yet insists on playing a cautious style. I just hope he walks (or is pushed) out after this tournament, not that I can come up with a suitable replacement off the top of my head.

Foden & Kane were pretty much spectators for the entire match and even Saka and Bellingham were reduced to feeding off scraps for the second half.

Just another disappointing performance, which I've come to expect and although we won, it really didn't feel like it.

5/10
  • Love this from Cesc - someone who’s been there and done it at international level. We can’t be making excuses for a player of Foden’s quality.

We don’t have to ask “how do we get the best out of Bellingham?” so why are we coddling Foden? He has the talent but he doesn’t turn up in an England shirt.

https://x.com/bbcsport/status/1802455168706916587?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g
  • RoanRedNY said:
    it was stale and disappointing but a win is a win.  That said, no one in the Spain, Italy, NL, France, German squads are worried about playing England, let alone the rest of our Group.
    Good... Let them under-estimate us... Only Italy and France have gone further than us in the last two competitions out of that lot.
    We’ll see